Finding Mr. Righteous: A Single Christian Guy’s Perspective

Lisa De Pasquale's eye-opening new book offers a bold, refreshing look at dating and faith.

Chris Queen

April 22, 2014 - 11:00 am

BifCZGLIQAAgeA5

I approached Lisa De Pasquale’s new book Finding Mr. Righteous with some trepidation. Ann Coulter referred to it as “a true Christian story disguised as racy chick lit.” The reader reviews on Amazon contained phrases like “gets to the inner workings of the mind of an insecure young woman” and “as [if]  she was writing about my loving and sexual past.” Our own David Swindle called it “a time bomb waiting to explode.” I thought, ohhhhhh boy. But when David personally recommended it to me, I figured it must be a good read.

Lisa didn’t disappoint. It seems a little weird to refer to her by her first name, since doing so goes against everything you learn about how you’re supposed to write, but after reading Finding Mr. Righteous and talking to her a little about it on Twitter, I feel like I’ve known her for a long time.

Finding Mr. Righteous jumps in to Lisa’s romantic and sexual life with gusto. She never pulls any punches when it comes to her experiences. Situations get steamy from time to time, but I never felt like I was on the verge of being offended. This is no creepy confessional or salacious tell-all — it’s a memoir of a mature woman telling it like it is, warts and all. More often than not, I’d finish a chapter thinking, so that’s what women think about men.

Lisa is a keen judge of human nature as well. She provides astute glimpses behind the facades of the men she’s dated. She offers plenty of fascinating observations like:

Chris was a cat person. But having one view wasn’t enough for him. He had to denigrate the opposing view. Chris’s cat versus dog views were like his views on religion. It wasn’t enough to just accept that some people are religious and some people are not. You had to be an atheist or true believer. And if you were a true believer, you were ignorant.

It may be a bold look, and some might find it refreshing, but it's not Christian.

Maybe it's a good book, but the cover doesn't appeal to me.
I was the one who reported the very first comment as abusive. I assume it was from Booger 2.0, because I come back a week later after the blog article has migrated from Lifestyle to the Main Page, only to find this tempest in a teapot, led by Booger 2.0.

The editor or whomever must have looked at it, and concurred. I do not know the author, nor the editor, nor the commenter. I am a neutral party.

It was not a comment about the writing, nor the style. It was harassment of the writer, and it was ugly.

I think Dave Swindle summarized it quite well. “I'm the editor of the section, not just a writer. I and the other editors are the ones who decide what's a disagreement with an idea and what's ‘abusive’ and ‘harassing’. ‘Free speech’ doesn't mean you have the right to harass writers in the comments section. If you want to mock people you can do it on your own site.”

No one has been denied their ability to go on a street corner and say whatever they want about the author, or the book, or whatever. However, that does not mean that an organization which goes to the trouble to set up a stage, and a podium, and microphone, and invites people to speak, has to let everyone say anything they want. And they would be fools if they let someone get up on stage and then ridicule the people who set up the stage.

All this faux outrage by Booger is quite contrived. If he actually put as much effort into improving something, anything, as he does in his desire to tear down, he would actually have some accomplishments to feel good about. Instead his energy goes into a distorted sense of (un)righteous indignation because someone has dared to suggest that he has been less than a gentleman. But he is far less than a gentleman, he is a punk.

For those of you who have jumped on the free speech bandwagon without knowing what was said, you may want to keep your powder dry for a more worthy case.
Thank you very much.
Just wish the review had a little more substance, is this book about seeking specifically for a religious guy, or is the review supposed to be a Christian's view of whatever is in the book, or what? OK, the Amazon reviews are equally empty. Hmm, what is going on? Swindle's review is still not telling me much. OK what about this video? Aha. Really, one look at Ms. De Pasquale and listening to a few sentences, and NOW I think I see wassup. Don't the bangs say it all? An intelligent, ambitious, accomplished, plump woman tells her tales, and apparently wants to blame it on God. None of her apparent attributes, intelligence, ambition, accomplishment, or weight, make dating easier. Is any of that fair? I guess she well might take it up with God.
I just tried replying to Boogers other comment again and BAM it's gone.

I love this site but fix the damn bugs. If it's censorship at least explain why it's happening or hell maybe battle it out in the arena of ideas.
Not sure what to really make of this review and I don't understand why the author's image is so huge, but at least it's not more sunrise pictures.

Why did Boogers comments get deleted?
Because this site is going down the tubes.