Kathy Shaidle

April 4, 2014 - 11:00 am

images

xoJane used to be Jane, a print magazine along the lines of Sassy and Bust and Bitch: that is, a Clinton-era publication aimed at women but more likely to print stories about RiotGrrls and extreme knitting than diets and makeup.

Today, the xoJane website does talk about beauty and fashion, because they finally accepted, sort of, that that’s what most women like to read about.

They still have an edge though; the editorial policy is extremely, faddishly leftist: “green” this and “trans” that and “slut shaming” whathaveyou.

(They have one story up now called “IS THAT EVEN LEGAL? 6 Rude Things Not To Say To Your Gay Friends Who Are Getting Married” and I thought for a second they were suggesting that it might be illegal to say rude things to gay people because, hey, Mozilla, right?)

One of xoJane’s most popular features is “It Happened To Me,” first person accounts of First World, (mostly) White Woman “Problems”:

“I Accidentally Dated a Racist/Republican/Jock,” “I Worked My Way Through College as a Pole Dancer and Refuse to Apologize For That, SO THERE!,” and endless variations on a theme that’s dear to my heart (given that it’s the subject of my new book):

“I Keep Hooking Up With Strange Men and Now I’m Depressed, Single and 35 and Don’t Understand What Went Wrong.”

Maybe I should submit this pitch:

“I Agreed With Something at Jane XO!”

Because that’s what happened to me today.

I'm tired of seeing the same old white male faces in Vet's Hospitals. Let's diversify the place up and get some broads in there.

By the way I'm sick of feminists who think the Panama Canal was built by moaning and whining about it.
I realized television is completely dead inside a few days ago. It's been bleeding out for a long time, but the Mom episode I watched made the brain shut down. The episode showed the two "Mom" characters, mother and daughter, ridiculing the biographies of people that wanted to adopt the unwed, pregnant, teenage daughter's baby. The "Mom" characters are scam artists, druggies, pole dancing, brothel running characters. I was pretty grossed out and my television has been turned off much more now.
I'm pretty sure Don Draper isn't having a mid-life crisis. He's just an unhappy man who escaped a life he didn't want by pretending to be someone he wasn't - and who happens to be really good at advertising.

I'm also pretty sure Kathy Shaidle has never watched the show. At most, she may have read about it and seen a few ads, but that's about it.

The Sopranos was probably the best drama in the history of television (IMO, anyway). Deadwood runs a close second.
Never watched the Sopranos or Mad Men. Breaking Bad is available on NetFlix, so I watched the first episode, and have no desire to watch any more. When I mentioned this to a couple of people I know, they couldn't believe it. "How couldn't you get drawn in by that first episode?" I don't know, but I don't think the lack of interest has anything to do with not wanting to watch middle aged white men have mid life crises. Or maybe it does. I'm a white man on the far side of middle age. I've managed to get through the problems so far without turning to crime.
Feminism still seems to depend what woman have often used through the ages, express a feeling and wait for the world to change.

My wife watches "The Good Wife", I don't know why. Every last one of the characters are unlikable.
Hey Kathy, Breaking Bad was great.

I could never watch Mad Men, and what little I saw of the The Sopranos made me think they were trying to make Tony into some kind of noble, tragic figure, but there is nothing, nothing, nothing noble about Walter White.

And in the end he gets what he deserves as the song says. I mean it is spelled out.