Is Oprah Winfrey Running For President?

Does this "greatest natural politician" have her eyes on the White House?

Kathy Shaidle

March 27, 2014 - 8:24 am

oprah_tour_illustration_a_l

I’d call Steve Sailer “the Malcolm Gladwell” of the Right except Sailer is a smarter, better, braver writer with a better “accuracy” batting average.

Today, he shares an email from “a reader who is either paranoid or brilliant or both.”

The reader wonders if Oprah Winfrey’s upcoming “The Life You Want” tour of America is really a presidential Trojan Horse:

As one of the few surviving men to have experienced being in the studio audience of an Oprah show while free stuff is being given out, [the reader] writes:

“Oprah POTUS … I think this is a trial balloon and the Canada tour [in 2013] was to polish her game. Lots of red, white and blue, stars and strong suggestion in that article image! … I don’t think Hillary can get it done in 2016, but we will know better after this November what the general sentiment is toward the real conservatives. I am closely watching the “other O” for signals and this is a bit conspicuous to me. On the backside of 2003, I am pretty sure Oprah can get a huge chunk of white-woman votes.”

“Having spent about 15 seconds in The Presence in 1987,” Sailer adds, “Oprah remains the greatest natural politician I’ve ever met.”

The trouble is, the “red, white and blue” article image (above) that has Sailer’s correspondent so exercised is just an exaggerated photo-illustration cooked up by the Hollywood Reporter.

In fact, the “Life You Want” campaign’s — I mean, tour’s — real color scheme is yellow and orange, very Sunday Morning with Charles Kuralt.

So, based solely on these flimsy semiotic tea leaves, I’m going to have to go with “paranoid.”

Although, like Sailer, I certainly think Oprah would have been a better “first black president” than Obama.

(KATHY SHAIDLE is a blogging pioneer who runs FiveFeetOfFury, now in its 14th year. She's been called "one of the great virtuoso polemicists of our time," by MARK STEYN. Her NEW book is Confessions of A Failed Slut (Thought Catalog, 2014).

No fan of the Kenyan, but Oprah a better candidate than anyone is a total joke. She's a lightweight mixture of pseudo-Christianity, new age hucksterism, politically correct nonsense. If the celebrated "soccer moms" are stupid enough to elect this overrated, overfed gasbag, then our goose is already cooked.
In my view, Oprah’s recently expressed opinion that “old white people have to die” has pretty much rendered her unfit to hold office. While this may be an opinion, indeed maybe even a devout wish, held by many people, I think she crossed the line when she said it out loud, sans qualifiers, in the racially charged tinderbox the country has become.
Did some comments get deleted?
Some idiot got his 10 minutes of fame with this suggestion.
Oprah Winfrey is running for President -- president of the Ignoramus Society.

In fact, she should be QUEEN of the ignoramuses. Her low-brow tastes, room-temperature I.Q., and taste for idiotic fads and enthusiasms have lowered the I.Q. of everybody who watched her TV show or listened to her speak.

She may in fact have stupified the American housewife public enough that they would elect her to something. A governing body with Oprah in it -- that would be a real circus of dimwits.

Then again, we have those two middlebrow black Babbitts in the White House, so I wouldn't rule out anything.
. . .
Oops! Double posted... ;-(
I am amazed that Oprah is planning this tour. How will they attach her head on a slender woman's body, as her mag artist do every month?

The "real" Oprah will be such a disappointment... after seeing her so svelte for years. NO, I don't watch her tv show.
Really? Your only criticism of her is about her weight and her body shape? Maybe you *should* watch her show so you'd have something a little more definitive, and not so sexist, to rant about. Such as her overt, obvious and on-going racism.
Or maybe he was pointing out her phoniness....

Unfortunately, as you say, no edit function (I seem to recollect we did have one for a time, a few years back - which didn't work well).

I've been coming here for three or four years now and we only just got an edit function a few months back. It actually worked okay as recently as yesterday when I last used it.

It used to be possible to include some basic tags like italics, bold, and URLs in posts, then that went away when the commenting system was replaced last year (or was it 2012?). Those features came back a few months ago. I cited you via the italics tag and here is some bold text. And here's a URL: http://cnn.com.

I'll use edit to add another sentence after I've saved this.

Oops, this was supposed to be a reply to Allstonian in the oldest comment for this article. (I added this via the Edit option.)
Oh great. Just what we need. Then all of us who oppose progressivism can still be called racists, and mysoginists, too. No thank you. I liked politics much better when they were all white men, and I can thank the left for that.
That would be two zero's or two strikes in a row for the United States. Remember, the second amendment was put there for a reason.
You are right, "our goose is already cooked"...

but just imagine how much better we can feel about our newly transformed, less prosperous existence with Mother O's soothing voice in our ear...
/sarc

Remember a while back when she opined that racism would never disappear until the older generation dies off. As POTUS, with ACA in force she could hasten that goal, could she not?
Yes... an edit feature would be nice.. .
1 2 Next View All