Talkin’ ‘Bout My Generation: 6 Gen-Xers I Can Actually Stand

They're the closest thing I have to a "group identity," but I can still only count six great Generation-X-ers...

Kathy Shaidle

February 8, 2014 - 9:00 am

Editor’s Note: This article was first published in two parts in May and June of 2013. It is being reprinted as part of a new weekend series at PJ Lifestyle collecting and organizing the top 50 best lists of 2013. Where will this great piece end up on the list? Reader feedback will be factored in when the PJ Lifestyle Top 50 List Collection is completed in a few months…

whatisthis
When my (millennial) editor suggested I write about my favorite (fellow) Generation X-ers, it took me four days to think of one name.

Then the rest of the week to come up with the rest.

For someone who is as cohort-sensitive as I am, who rages constantly about “kids these days,” and who feels most comfortable socializing almost exclusively with other X-ers, I found this assignment surprisingly daunting.

I used a HighLowBrow post about Gen-Xers to try to kickstart my brain.

That site calls us “Recons” and counts those born between 1964-1973 as members of that generation.

The article features a labor-of-love list of famous Recons/X-ers that was invaluable in helping me put together this column.

Predictably, I take issue with their chosen start date, however.

It’s a weird definition of “Generation X” that excludes the guy who popularized the phrase (Douglas Coupland, 1961) or the fellow who wrote our “national anthem” (Gordon Gano, 1963):

Like the list. Gutfeld the best of the lot. Finally saw Freaks and Geeks. It was nicely good natured. But the 2 movies... not so much.
Future topic - I find the Hughes movies and the general teen 80s movies reminiscient of the screwball comedies of the 30-40s and do justice to the RomCom ideals, what say u KS?
Regarding the time frame assigned to "Generation X", I have to say I wholeheartedly embrace it.

I never understood why I (born in August 1964) was considered to be of the same generation as Bill Clinton.

There is literally a photo of a young teenaged Bill Clinton shaking hands with JFK - and JFK was dead before I was even born.

Those influences that marked the Boomer generation are not the influences that had the most impact on me.

What I remember growing up (politically speaking), are things like Nixon going to China (used a newspaper clipping for show-and-tell class), or the bombing raids in North Vietnam (from my parents newspaper), the Watergate scandal (I feel I missed YEARS worth of Saturday morning cartoons dammit!), and the abysmal years of the Carter administration when my dad couldn't find a job to feed his family.

After things like that, Reagan was like a breath of fresh air....

Culturally, the 80's are my nostalgic period. The style of the 70's just looks goofy to me, and the style of the 90's is just bland to my taste.....
Defining yourself in terms of pop entertainment....well, therein lies madness.
Mike Judge is brilliant. Office Space is a hard look at what it is like to work for a large, soulless company.
"Cube Farm," yeah. I used to work in those places.

/Shudder
I'm still there (and trying to find my way out!).