Who Is Jeff Davis?

Is he the elusive modern man women seek?

Leslie Loftis

January 25, 2014 - 8:00 am

shutterstock_106771871

The Wendy Davis coverage grows tired already. She is just another example of the feminist myth, a woman other women want to follow but who is becoming politically radioactive for not conforming to the narrative — in this instance, that women can do it all on their own. As usual, marriage and an extra income prove their worth to ambition.

The American electorate forgives many things, but not lies. Declaring your back story off limits works a bit like taking the Fifth in court. Everyone assumes you have something to hide. Add on her campaign’s secondary offense of insensitivity to disabled persons—Greg Abbot cannot walk a mile in her shoes as he is a paraplegic—and while Wendy Davis runs might continue for years depending on how hard her defenders and the press try to camouflage her back story manipulations, she is not a reasonably viable political candidate for elected high office anymore. (Think John Edwards or John Kerry.)

But something about the Wendy Davis coverage has caught my interest. The Austin-American Statesman published a how-I-got-scooped-by-the-Dallas-Morning-News article. I noticed a few commenters asked about Jeff Davis, her second and ex-husband.

Perhaps I’m spending too much time reading blogs and articles about child-men who refuse to partner with their wives or girlfriends or take on the duties of fatherhood, but Jeff Davis sounds like the kind of man modern women want. He prioritized her career needs, first by putting her through law school and then by taking custody of their daughter after the divorce so that she could realize her professional ambitions. He seems like a step-up-and-take-responsibility kind of guy. Women lament a dearth of these kinds of guys, either as partners for women or role models for boys.

It seems I’m not the only one wondering about Jeff Davis. From Ann Coulter’s column yesterday, The Heroism of Wendy Davis:

Hey — maybe Jeff Davis should run for governor! He’s the one who raised two kids, including a stepdaughter, while holding down a job and paying for his wife’s law school. There’s a hard-luck story!

As one of my girlfriends asked, “Is he still single?”

We need to hear Jeff Davis’s story.

*****

image courtesy shutterstock /  Tomas Urbelionis

Leslie Loftis is a recovering lawyer, a housewife, and a mother of 4. She is also a serial Texpatriate, most recently returned from London, England.

Not only did your comment disappear, proreason, but so did supportive comments from Paul ABarge and me.

What's going on, PJMedia?
About five hours ago I made the relatively innocuous comment "Jeff Davis is the representative of the only real victim class left in America. White men." It reached the Top Rated Comments list, but somebody flagged it as "Report Abuse". Two others commented that the flag smells like censorship.

A few hours later, the entire thread has disappeared.

Interesting, isn't it.
I was gonna say, when I first saw the headline, that women today tend to do a lot worse in their choice of mates than they would by finding a Jefferson Davis returned from the grave.

I don't know much about today's Jeff Davis, but I suspect he was too much of a decent sort for the likes of Wendy.
Jeff Davis sounds like a great guy. All I need to know about Wendy is that she left her kids. Abortion Barbie is not going to be able to turn Texas blue, nothing about her is worth following, not even her choice of footwear.
About those women who get what they get with a little help from their friends.

THE "Stars" headlined as "role models" for ALL those "feminists" who just want a fair deal? for wimmin.

Those feministas SO sympathetic to the not beautiful, the not super smart, with no rich or connected mama papa or grandparent trust funds for their "fair share" of the glittering prizes.

Who despise men except as instruments for their own ambitions so that they have done everything to chase them from the field of battle. OR disarm them for effective reasonable counter or opposition ot their demands.

So that now the only enemy is the one in the mirror. "Feminists" who call themselves caring and compassionate, which they mainifestly are not. AND with no scruples about the means to their ends.

THE model, THE example for ALL those wimmin as card carryinbg feministas with the naughty bits left out or touched up who Refuse to be sex-objects for men,

OR ride the coat-tails of their spouse - no Jefferson Davis he - to the glitteringt prizes, Hillary Clinton.

A few hours later, the entire thread has disappeared.

Interesting, isn't it.

What's going on, PJMedia?
When I did a quick check earlier today, all those comments were up in the middle of a bunch of spam that had already been flagged. Now those spam comments are gone, so I'd bet the other ones just got caught in an auto something or other to deal with spam. I certainly don't see any way to get to comments in the dashboard to do manual removals, or restores.
I missed OldRadioGuy's comment too.
Thanks for checking, Mrs. Loftis.
Mine as well.
Thanks for your support, Egil

I suspect PJM has a policy to remove flagged comments, and it may be automatic. But it would still be good to know it was inadvertent. On an incendiary scale of 10, my comment was about a 2. It's more annoying that somebody flagged something that is close to a truism.
It wasn't me this time, but I've "reported abuse" on a couple of great comments in the last two weeks or so meaning to click on "like". Maybe that was it. It's pure clumsiness, with a little inattention, on my part, and I also don't know if there's a way to "unbleep" such actions once I realize I've bleeped up.
There's no way to fix that mistake, AFAIK, and I've been guilty of it, too.

PJM's system is a bit antiquated and kludgy, and that's what happens.

I see nothing sinister here.
You only spoke truth, proreason, in your original comment. I hope you're right that there's an automatic process going on, which hopefully can be fixed. Sometimes, though, some of the more Neocon-leaning writers here at PJMedia get pretty Politically Correct.

Sorry OldRadioGuy--I didn't see your comment. It must have been "Reported" before I got the chance!
We need to hear Jeff Davis’s story.

Beta male. P*ssy whipped. Got no game. Surrendered to the hamster.

Why would you want to hear this guy's story? There are a bah-zillion Jeff Davis's out there across America, schlubs who are being used by hypergamy women and then discarded.

Is that what you (females) think you want in a man? Because you do not and you're not fooling me.

You want the guy with whom Wendy Davis committed adultery and infidelity while married to Jeff Davis.

Admit it.
I don't think we have nearly enough information about Jeff Davis to ASSUME that he's "beta male."

Of course, I'm not impressed with Jeff Davis's choice in spouses, but many people learn they are saddled with bad spouses late in the game.
"Making choices to do what it takes for his family to thrive does not make a man a weakling. "

Very true.

But then putting that kind of woman through school?

THAT is a weakling.

It should have been, "Of course I'll take care of my children! You? You're on your own."

Yes, many of the Jeff Davis's get dumped. I think that has a bit more to do with the women in question--what woman dumps a guy like that? Many of us wouldn't, and haven't, dumped our Jeff Davis's.
We don't need guys avoiding being Jeff Davis. They just need to avoid dating the Wendy Davis's. That would be part of the utility of his story: how to avoid the women who will use and discard you.
After about 32 years of experience in the dating and marriage world, I have to say that a lot of women, at least today's women, would agree with you if they were honest, Mr. ABarge. By their actions, they say that all the time now.
"Is he the elusive modern man women seek? "
-------------------------------------------------------

I raised my daughter from 4 years old (beginning in 1976) - suffice it to say women love that kind of story about a man.

Meh. Women find out that I'm a single dad of two, and they're suddenly busy somewhere else, with someone who has much more disposable income and time and can dare to cultivate a bad-boy image without worrying about a guardian ad litem.

Women may like the story, but in a practical sense, they don't like the competition for the guy's resources that another woman's kids present.
He was Abraham Lincoln's enemy.
Are you saying that like it's a bad thing or a good thing?