10 Truths Mainstream Comic Books Evade to Promote ‘Muslim Superheroes’

An ex-Muslim independent cartoonist vs the politically correct cowardice of Marvel and DC Comics.

Bosch Fawstin

December 19, 2013 - 9:00 am

The Muslim terrorist is a cliché. But only in real life. And in post-9/11 comic books, “Muslim superheroes” are becoming a cliché. As a cartoonist and as a recovered Muslim working on an anti-jihad graphic novel called The Infidel, featuring Pigman, I’ve identified certain truths that Marvel and DC Comics have to evade in order to shove their “Muslim superheroes” down the throats of their readers.

Before I move on to my list, I want to add that I put “Muslim superheroes” in quotes because Marvel and DC Comics want to promote “Muslim superheroes” without promoting Muslim superheroes. They want to promote their fantasy version of what they would like Muslim superheroes to be, not Islam’s version. As I’ve argued in my work, a good Muslim by our standards is a bad Muslim by Islamic standards. Therefore, a true Muslim superhero would be a Muslim supervillain.

1. We Are At War.

9/11/01 was 12 years ago, yet those behind the attack are still undefeated. The greatest state sponsors of terrorism on earth — Saudi Arabia and Iran — operate as if 9/11 never happened. And we’re still not ready to identify Islam as the enemy’s motivation. Can you imagine American comic book publishers during World World II publishing Italian, Japanese and German superhero comic books? That would have been unthinkable back then. Almost as unthinkable as it currently is to see Marvel and DC create anti-jihad superheroes. While Marvel and DC are presenting Islam to us in the most politically correct possible way through their comics, in the real world Muslims are on the warpath, killing non-Muslims Every. Single. Day. These “Muslim superheroes” are in the end a way for liberals to deny the reality that an entire part of the world is at war with us, while we do everything we can to focus on Muslims who are not at war with us, as if they’re the true representatives of a violent religion like Islam.

The victims of September 11, 2001.

911 victims for PJ Media

Thank you so much for this column. I've been back and forth to the islamic world many times over the last 23 years - three combat deployments, and three other individual deployments to areas that were "peaceful" at the time I was there. During my last trip (last year), I met up with a guy I knew on my first deployment in '91, but hadn't talked to since about '95 or so. I was a private back then, and he was my lieutenant. He's a senior officer now. I have been utterly stunned at his level of ignorance (denial?) about the nature of the threat we face from worldwide jihad. He is absolutely convinced that all of our problems with islamic jihadists are our fault - that if we would only stop being so damned American, they would love us. This is coming from a SENIOR officer in the military! Folks, nothing has sent shudders through me quite like the realization I have come to about who's running things today at the highest levels in the pentagon. Be worried. And Mr. Fawstin, for the sake of our culture, don't let anyone shut you up about what's going on.
"The creators of Superman, Batman and Captain America were all Jews."

Also Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, the X-Men, The Fantastic Four, Hawkeye, the Black Widow, Daredevil, Nick Fury and his agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ... pretty much any superhero known to the general public today was created by Jews. Not only that, but by and large these were Jews who had personal experiences with the Holocaust and knew evil when they saw it. Most readers here probably aren't aware of this but Captain America was punching Hitler in the face almost a full year BEFORE the US entered WW2.

As a longtime reader and collector of comics it saddens me greatly to see the medium they founded being used to whitewash evil instead of confronting it.
The beheading of Daniel Pearl taught me everything I need to know about Islam.

We must use comic book to change Islamic culture. There is very little time left to change Islamic culture before we will have no choice but to destroy Islamic culture.
Islam does have superheroes! Mohommed had sexual superpowers. He also had super sura summoning powers that could get him out of any sticky situation. Mohommed's 'helpers' and 'companions' are considered by all muslims to be superheroes. Consider Khalid the Incredible - or Abu Sufyan the Wily - and many others. They have supervillians too. In a super drama, the dispicable pagans of Mecca were converted into mighty muslim heroes. But the dastardly Jews and the conniving Christians are still out there. Its an ongoing comic opera. The story of early Islam would work well in comic book format. And you have over 1600 years of history to work with that's ongoing. No need to constantly reboot!
my classmate's half-sister makes $78 hourly on the computer. She has been fired from work for seven months but last month her check was $15124 just working on the computer for a few hours. more information,,,,,,,
W­W­­­W­.R­­U­S­­H­6­­4.C­­­O­M
"I'm tellin ya the pigman is alive. The governments been experimenting with pigmen since the fifties." -- Kramer, The Bris, 1996
What always comes to me whenever I read about these "Muslim" comics is that they are so very disingenuous.

On the one hand, they do not represent reality, as you indicate here. Comic Muslim Super Heroes would be expected to beat their wives, kill homosexuals, behead infidels, etc.

But on the other hand, the comics also don't represent these authors' own liberal views either.

I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s with DC and Marvel comics, and began noticing the liberal stereotypes that started infiltrating them by the late 1960s and early 1970s forward. Now, they include homosexual and feminist heroes, among others. The stories frequently included liberal propaganda.

But none of this appears to show up in their Muslim comics. If they really believed Islam was such a great and peaceful thing, compatible with their progressive agenda, why aren't there any homosexual Muslim Super Heroes? Why do they not involve Muslim feminists dressed like Wonder Woman (perhaps with a crescent emblazoned on her chest) ? Why do they not attack husbands who beat their wives or who marry little girls?

All these things would be normal for a modern DC or Marvel infidel super hero. But they know better. They know that their own progressive values aren't supported by Muslims, and that if they put their own progressive ideals into the comics, they would see outrage and possible death threats from Muslims for "offending" Islam. At the very least, they would need to defend themselves against lawsuits, possibly supported by our bigoted Justice Department.
> the comics also don't represent these authors' own liberal views either.

Actually, I should have said "these publishers' own liberal views." I don't know if the Muslim authors actually support their publishers' (DC/Marvel's) liberal views, but it's clear that the publishers are disingenuous.
Whenever I hear someone say Islam is a religion of peace, I ask them to take a trip with me to Mecca or Medina. I then explain to them that it is every Muslims duty to kill any infidel who enters either city.
What would the world's reaction to a similar policy in Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Vatican City, Rome?
Do the Islamic superhero's costumes include box cutters, a suicide vest and a burka? Do they react to bacon in the same way as Superman does to kryptonite? All kidding aside, who exactly comprises the "market" for this stuff? Everyone knows that reading ANYTHING other than the Koran in the madras is strictly prohibited.
My money says the biggest market for this crap is white, liberal fools who live with their heads in the sand.
Bosch, I've commented about you and your work before, a year or so ago.

Been trying to figure out a way to compliment your work without sounding backhanded so I'll offer this. I've never read an online comic book so I guess I haven't really read your stuff in any complete format. I would like to see you "in print." There is a market for you and, I suspect, no shortage of private investors who would be willing to plunk down some green to make that tactile readership a reality. Count me as someone who'd be interested.

On the 'art' side. Every time I've come across one of your pieces I'm grabbed by a feeling that I haven't had for a very long time. My brother and I collected comics in the 60's through the 80's until a flood wiped out the collection. The
feeling I'm talking about is related to the reaction I had when I first came across Eisner's work in reprints. Your work is not derivative, but it is evocative of that approach. Your marriage of graphic elements and type is just marvelous.

Thank you, appreciate that. Besides my digital comics, I have two print books out in the market, and my plan in the end for The Infidel/Pigman is to collect all 6/7 chapters in a hardcover pigskinleather-bound collection. I don't know when that will be available, but one day.
I could see this selling at Gun Shows and Tea Party Rallies, I would certainly buy it...but you'd have to put up with the inevitable "backlash" from The Media who'll accuse you of "pandering" to the "racists and Islamophobes"...

Whatever crossover attention you get for Pigman will be negative, and they will most certainly try to get you Blacklisted from any "work" in "the industry" after that...
is there such a thing as kickstarter for conservatives?
I'm in.
Ok. I'll say it, since no one has.

Female superheros tend to be dressed in sexy, tight, imagination wandering dress. They also are HOT-tuh..

So how does a muslim Ms. Marvel square that circle? Anything that would make her interesting makes her antithetical to Islam.

What exactly is going to be her sales point to an overwhelmingly male nerd audience? That teaser graphic won't have me running to the theater if they make a movie.

Wonder if they'll let her drive a car.
...or hang out with other male superheroes (unsupervised by her father of course)?
I lost my taste for comics when superman gave up his American citizenship.
1 2 Next View All