Jon Stewart’s ‘Official Slogan of Oppression’ Is Dumb, Dangerous

The Daily Show's take on the "Santa is white" "controversy" sends a sinister message.

Kathy Shaidle

December 18, 2013 - 8:00 am

index

The “Is Santa Clause white?” debate is an embarrassment for both sides.

I’m as right-wing as they come, but I grew up seeing non-white Santas on Christmas cards and in commercials — yes, it was the seventies — so I honestly don’t care about this “issue.”

What’s really disturbing?

On his Daily Show segment about the “controversy,” Jon Stewart made a particularly twisted “joke.”

Twisted, that is, because in patented progressive fashion, it turns the meaning of an ordinary yet important word completely inside out.

The far-left blogosphere and the MSM have gleefully high-fived Stewart’s segment, but they don’t tend to highlight his most insidious quip.

Probably because, as far as they’re concerned, he’s just stating received liberal wisdom.

Mocking Megyn Kelly’s statement that “just because it makes you feel uncomfortable, doesn’t mean it has to change,” Stewart smirked, “Actually, I think that’s the official slogan of oppression.”

Yeah, no. Legislating “change” because some people “feel uncomfortable” is a good working definition of true oppression. He could always read about it in my book — helpfully titled The Tyranny of Nice — which features real-life examples of individuals who’ve been persecuted and prosecuted by the State because they hurt someone’s feelings.

As John O’Sullivan recently put it in National Review:

…there are consequences to forgetting truths. One consequence is that while we instinctively want to preserve the morals and manners of the Christian tradition, we cannot quite explain or defend them intellectually. So we find ourselves seeking more contemporary (i.e., in practice, secular) reasons for preserving them or, when they decay completely, inventing regulations to mimic them. When courtesy is abandoned, we invent speech codes, which are blunter in their impact and repress legitimate disagreement along with insults.

Stewart’s definition of “oppression” is just another way of saying, “Shut up, you right-wing peons.” It is, quite simply, a sentiment that’s toxic to the health of the body politic.

And, I imagine, college kids are printing it onto T-shirts as I type.

Sometimes, the only fact which gives me hope for America’s future is that, despite the hype, The Daily Show draws fewer viewers than its coarse, politically incorrect network rival, Tosh.0.

(KATHY SHAIDLE is a blogging pioneer who runs FiveFeetOfFury, now in its 14th year. She's been called "one of the great virtuoso polemicists of our time," by MARK STEYN. Her NEW book is Confessions of A Failed Slut (Thought Catalog, 2014).

Firstly, Santa Claus is imaginary and people can imagine him any way they want. I imagine him as imaginary

Secondly, if “just because it makes you feel uncomfortable, doesn’t mean it has to change,” is a slogan of oppression, then is “just because it makes you feel uncomfortable, [I]does[/I]mean it has to change,” a slogan of liberty? Nope...it's practically the definition of political correctness "Your statement makes me uncomfortable, therefore you must change it". Stewart used a bit of linguistic clumsiness to tell a bald-faced lie. What a douchebag...
What happened to preserving cultural heritage? I heard tradition was supposed to be important. Oh wait, not western civilization.
I asked my sons once if they ever watch Jon Stewart on TV, and they said no. It creeps them out that he's a 50-year-old acting like a 20-year-old.
my friend's sister-in-law makes $60 hourly on the computer. She has been out of work for ten months but last month her check was $13733 just working on the computer for a few hours. . .......:>
=================================
=================================
my roomate's mother-in-law makes $85/hr on the laptop. She has been out of work for 9 months but last month her pay was $21715 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Source>>>>>>>>>>> http://ow.ly/qjkbU
What next, being offended that Jesus is portrayed as a Jew?

"Actually, I think that’s the official slogan of oppression."

Stewart means, like Affordable Health Care = Obamacare is an oxymoronic definition of oppression.
Liberals hate Santa Clause. Maybe if he was a mulatto they would lighten up.
Wrong wrong wrong. Liberals don't hate Santa Claus, they love him, white, brown, or whatever. Liberals love Santa Claus because he distracts from the true reason for CHRISTmas, the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Now if only Jesus had been a white guy... Lighten up folks.
Official slogan of oppression: John Stewart is an old, rich white guy who thinks socialism is cool.
I want to know why Bud Biliken can't be an Asian guy for a change:

Santa Claus is brown and carbonated.

He was invented by Coca Cola as an advertising gimmick back in the early 20th Century.

He's about as traditional as an aluminum Christmas trees, and as religious as a football game.

Oh, wait.... Okay, for you Texans, he's as religious as a Big Mac.

Scrooge.
Wrong. Please leave the anti-corporate duck-speak at the door.
Seriously, I can't get worked up about this. The "tradition" of Santa Claus is something that has morphed over time, and is more secular than religious these days anyway. If some people want to depict a black Santa or an Asian Santa or Maori Santa or whatever, it's not really a big deal. People on both sides need to start tapering down off their outrage fixes, IMO.
Santa has nothing to do with any of it. It's all about liberal "racial" self-loathing.
European Christian privilege is over. Down with European Christendom!
1 2 Next View All