Stephen Green

November 5, 2013 - 12:00 pm

If you fell in love with shooting SLRs before there was a D in front of the name, you might be willing to write Nikon a check for one of these — whatever it is! — sight unseen.

The official announcement comes on Tuesday, and I’m on pins and needles until then.

Did you hear that shutter? Did you hear that dial… that shutter speed dial? Watching that ad I was back in high school again, shooting Dad’s vintage F2A. For what it’s worth, the F2A was possibly the best pre-electronic SLR ever made. It’s a tank. You could drop-kick it into a pile of cinder blocks and it would just keep shooting. Pick one up on eBay for $150, and I promise you you’ll take the best pictures of your life, with nothing more than a aging 50mm f/1.8 lens. Walking is how you frame great shots — not zooming.

I still have Dad’s F2, which hasn’t been shot in 20 years, easy. But I bet if I cleaned it up and dropped a new button battery in, it would shoot every bit as beautifully as it did 35 years ago.

That would certainly be a lot cheaper than buying whatever it is Nikon is showing off in this ad.

But I still want it. Whatever it is.

***

Cross-posted from Vodkapundit

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

It's a retro play - a PT cruiser - based on one of the most important cameras ever made - the Nikon F. Nikon made copies of the German Contax rangefinder in the 50, while Cannon copied the Leica. But Nikon added through the lens viewing to the Contax and produced the first really good SLR. There were others, but Nikon got it right in '59. Nikon has the right to try to make money on their own history, but now the mirror isn't the key to success - it is the clunky obsolete technology that mirrorless cameras are beginning to overtake. That's the future.
Whilst patrolling the Inner German Border, aka the iron curtain, back in the day we carried a Canon AE-35 with a massively massive telephoto lens, just in case. I bought one just so that I could practice with something that wouldn't get me hosed should I F it up. Used it for years around the world until a local camera shop refused to clean it out, again, of middle-eastern sand/dust/whatev. Think I still have the carcass, somewhere. Onliest SLR I've ever owned. My phone is now (to steal a phrase from Pournelle) Good Enough. I did have a Kodak water resistant sportcam on the Instadude's recommendation until someone broke into my car and jacked it and a tomtom. The tomtom I'll replace.
"Priced at $2,749.95 for the body only, the Df is a high-end DSLR that the company hopes will appeal to those who remember classic Nikon 35mm film cameras of the 1970s and 1980s."

I think they mean HIGH PRICED pos!

I remember those classic film cameras...because I still use them!

Boomer bank account killer, is what this is. Sucker every minute.

16 megapixels? ARE YOU KIDDING? Is that the best you got? I got that for fifty bucks!

16 lousy mega's...digital photography is showing it's age. Should be two hundred, not 16!

$3000, for a camera that does not take pictures as well as a Kodak Retinette, that's progress!
Nikon Df. Starting at $2749.95
duz it come with a shaving kit...?
I started with a Nikon F. I have an FM2 in my bookcase, had a D50, have D7000 and shoot with a D600 now. When I saw the Df, I said "why". It's 16 megapixels and the body costs $2,800. You can get an F at B&H Photo for under $200.