3 Reasons Why Dating is Especially Hard in Washington, D.C.

Washington, D.C. is definitely NOT the "District of Dating"

Becky Graebner

November 5, 2013 - 11:00 am

14658347-man-hands-painted-as-the-american-flag-forming-a-heart

At a recent convening of the “female minds” during a birthday party celebration, I was reminded of the challenges posed by the D.C. dating scene. A fellow friend at this birthday dinner was regaling the group with her predicament: she had to leave the birthday party early for a date.

Normally, this topic is the launching pad for well-wishes, compliments, and giggles. In this case, the poor girl was dreading her impending date. Subsequent conversations with the male in question after agreeing to the date had made her a little wary.  He was cocky and pushy–which made her question if he was interested in anything more than a quick hook-up.  However, she didn’t want to back out of the date 40 minutes before they were supposed to meet up.

We tried to psyche her up. It’s great to meet new people! A night on the town will be fun!

No go. She was all frowns and pessimism as she slid off her stool and collected her coat and purse.

“Why is dating in D.C. so hard?” she asked as she turned for the door.

We all knew from personal experience what she meant, but none of us had an answer…

Washington D.C. is always a nominee for those lists with titles like “worst city for singles” or “worst city for dating.” It’s not surprising, really. Washington, D.C. is not a normal city. Although the representatives of the nation live and work here, The Capital is in a fantasy land of its own, shielded from the real-world by a thick bubble. It makes sense that this removal from reality in the workplace would also translate to the playground. I do know good people who have met, dated, and married people that they met while living in D.C. However, these people seem to be either part of the lucky minority or are D.C.-dating-warriors who persevered after several harrowing attempts.

Here are three reasons why dating in D.C. is particularly difficult:

I've moved to DC a year ago for my job and I can definitely relate to this. At this point am even ready to start using dating websites. I even had these sort of "dating business cards" printed ( https://www.cheekd.com/ ) and I've met a few interesting people that way. Good luck to everyone else, it's hard out there!
Maybe you should try this:
my husband and me met on this site(http://www.blackwhiteflirts.com) 2 years ago. Now,we have married for 2 years .We are felt very happiness than before.The site was very good made a lot of friends as well. I would recommend this site to others that are interested. Hope everyone can find their true love.
I lived many years in a State Capital that was every bit as much a "company town" as DC. Even though I was married for much of that time, was reasonably well known, and always wore a wedding band, I was always amazed at how much more attractive and desirable I became with each step up the org chart until by the time I was an appointee, my aging, balding, paunchy self was almost irresistable to pretty, ambitious women younger than my daughter, Hell women almost young enough to have been my daughter's daughter. About the only limitation on the "dating" opportunity is that for those actually inside the government in a partisan position capital cities are even more segregated than small Southern towns in the '50s; Democrats and Republicans socialize together only at inagural balls, big charity events, and funerals of important political figures, though some lefty women have a morbid fascination with trying to carve a notch on their bedpost by bedding some evil Republican so they can see what it is like or hold it over his head.

I haven't been to DC in any capacity other than tourist since the early '80s. Back in the '70s and early '80s, the key to "dating" success was walking into a Georgetown bar wearing long hair, button fly Levis, a Pendleton Western shirt, Tony Lamas, a gold nugget watchband, and an Alaska union jacket. You wouldn't have gotten much more room if you'd have driven a D-8 Cat in, but it sure was easy to troll a new "Miss Right Now" out.
East meets West!