Ty Doohen, Another Victim of Single Motherhood: Fatherless and Beaten to Death

The story of a child with no father, no hero, no advocate.

Megan Fox

October 15, 2013 - 8:15 am
ty doohen

2-year-old baby Ty Doohen, who was beaten to death

Sports media is in an uproar about the horrific murder of Ty Doohen, Vikings’ running back Adrian Peterson’s two-year-old son. Unfortunately, they’ve got the angle all wrong. This is not a story about a father’s loss and brave return to the field. It is a story of a sick culture, of a man who reportedly didn’t even know he had fathered a son until three months ago and never looked on Ty’s face until the boy was in a hospital bed, dying.

It’s a story of the woman who birthed this child. Ann “Ashley” Doohen reportedly had the child tested for paternity and the results came as a surprise to her. She thought the child was her ex-boyfriend’s (not current boyfriend and alleged assailant Joseph Patterson). This makes three men Doohen was (allegedly) having sex within a relatively short time period. She was not married to any of them.

This is a story of a woman who left her baby in the care of a person who had a criminal record of child abuse that anyone with $30 and a computer could have uncovered. But most importantly, this is a story of a child with no father, with no hero and no advocate to protect and shield him from the evil around him.

"but if you speak out about it, you’re a hater, prejudiced against single mothers and a jerk."

Boy, you got that right. When the story first broke I made pretty much the same observations you did. The blowback was predictable. All these people think they are being "non judgmental" when all they really are is just mental. The left has managed to upend common sense and traditional morality by making those who want to destroy it the MORAL ones and those who want to preserve it haters and intolerant. It all boils down to the fact that millions of people have been convinced that committing suicide is pretty "cool" and if you take that position you are just so special and pious. It's vanity, conceit, and ego which are being stroked and the stupids at the receiving end of the brainwashing are just well..too STUPID to see it. This little boy was treated like a POS. And the only thing that can be said of those who look open in horror is....YOU'RE BEING JUDGMENTAL???? Our culture is INSANE. Just like Marxism.
Greetings:

Wasn't it Hillary Clinton who told us that "It takes a village to mess up a child." ???
Oh, Megan, I feel I should point out to you that by believing that children are best off with their biological parents you probably also hate gays ... or something? After all, you probably also strongly believe in traditional marriage. How could you be so hateful. /sarc

I've drawn flack for criticizing Peterson on this and pointing out that if he had been able to keep it in his pants, this need not have happened. Apparently, I am insensitive and don't seem to blame the man who beat the child to death or something for pointing this simple fact out.
"Children suffer cruelly when a society devalues traditional families by accepting any combination of idiocy, accepting any moral standard and throwing out any sense of what is good for children. It isn’t a lone, once-in-a-while incident to be swept under the rug, talked of as “tragic” and then forgotten. It is an epidemic that is subjecting children to abuse and death, but if you speak out about it, you’re a hater, prejudiced against single mothers and a jerk. But staying silent only gags the victims who are suffering."

I understand what you're saying and don't disagree.

But, as a man who failed the only real test of suitability as a father, that is no women consented to have my child, why should I raise my voice. As it is children such as this are often cared for by me, monetarily at least, via the government.

We have a culture that worships the only valid roles men have regarding children are:

1. Being a wallet
2. Whatever the mother decides.

The government insures I do #1 in a tiny degree and none of these women offer me #2. Actually, not true, a single man with a steady job is seen by many single mothers as an ideal provider for them and another man's offspring. However, if my genes, values, beliefs, skills, efforts, etc are not worth passing to the next generation I don't see how their products are worth passing on either.

In short we've created not just a culture that accepts families like this but actively tells me to butt out. It's not my issue.

That's fine but the end result will be a lot of us concluding the dead kid is no more our issue than the live one.
I can understand what Megan is saying here about being a single mother, however you need to respect this mother she just lost her child. Show some remorse.

As being a mother myself you bet your ass I would never be with an alleged abuser My son always comes first in my life, so I don't understand why she left her son with him, maybe she didn't know his past history maybe he never showed any signs of being abusive towards her or her son.

Peterson just found out this was his son, he has his own life kids, fiance and is a professional athlete. Yes he should have taken some time to at least meet him, but he didn't, he didn't even know he existed until a few months ago.

I was saddened when I heard this story on the radio, it gave me goosebumps, because I have an almost two year old and if anything happened to him I wouldn't know what to do.

My thoughts and prayers go to the mother and Peterson. Whose son was taken from them at such a young age. Life isn't fair
"I can understand what Megan is saying here about being a single mother, however you need to respect this mother she just lost her child"

No, I don't "need" to "respect this mother". What, pray tell, has she done to earn my respect?

Attitudes like yours are part of the problem.
You simply cannot give her an excuse like that. She didn't know? She didn't try to know! She didn't bother herself to know! I feel remorse for her dead child. I feel sick for little Ty. I feel contempt for his "mother." This woman could have paid 39.95 (I just looked it up) for an instant background check on Joseph Patterson that would have told her that he had a criminal history of child abuse. She was simply too irresponsible or careless to do it. She treated her child as if he were as important as a dog. In fact, if he were a dog and her live in boyfriend was Michael Vick and he beat the dog to death, I think people would be angrier at her than they are for her child being beaten to death by a known child abuser. She recklessly moved in with a man she knew nothing about OR even worse...maybe she did know and she left him with her son anyway. Either way, it's inexcusable. And it's happening all over the country right now in other homes headed up by single women more interested in themselves and their own "needs" than in the safety of their children. Baby Mamas are dangerous to their children. Put it on a billboard. Hire skywriters. The culture has got to change.
First and foremost - I AM NOT CONDONING PETERSON'S ACTIONS - my best friend all the way through high school (I enlisted in the Army-he went to college on a baseball scholarship and eventually drafted into MLB) retired not too long ago as an all-star and extremely popular NL player. First class dude, married FAITHFULLY for 10 years now....he told me years ago how women pursued, harassed, and outright stalked pro athletes just to get impregnated (see Brynn Cameron) and receive an exceptional income from the "father" (I use that term in it's loosest term). He told me these women were exclusively selective and knew more about an athlete's career than their personal agents. But, he had been warned about them by team officials and other players. My friend has two beautiful children and lives a fairytale life of wonderful wife and kids, lots of toys, more money than he'll ever spend, and they travel almost constantly when the kids are not in school. Sadly, pro athletes are targeted and used by these evil whores, but you gotta be pretty stooopid to not be aware of such people in today's culture. Adrian, while you may not be able to be tried for a crime, you know that responsibility as well as blame is your's to carry for the rest of your life. May God forgive you.

Remember BENGHAZI!
Pray for Ty Doohen, his mom, and Adrian Peterson.
Absolutely. But remember, it takes two parents to create a single-parent household.

The men who abuse and kill these children, and the men who abandon them, and the men who are too irresponsible to even keep track of their offspring, ought to be castigated alongside the women.

And the failure to do so is whitewashing of another sort, no more rationally or morally acceptable than letting everyone off the hook.
I'm not trying to cross swords with you, Tina....the 'mother' in this story just gets under my skin. There are far too many 'fathers' who are completely worthless as well.
How about the women who target pro athletes and use a child to extort $10,000/mo child support payments? Ugly, poor women have multiple kids to make a living off the taxpayers while hot, sexy women have just one kid with a trophy sperm donor....both are whores and should be scorned by society, but nooooo....they are the "victims", right? Wrong - the child is the victim. These whores want nothing to do with the father(s), just pay me the money and let me do whatever I want. Disgusting.
It's a small percentage of men (e.g. Desmond Hatchett, Orlando Shaw) getting all these women pregnant. You can't shame men for promiscuity -- innocent men would feel insulted, and bad boys totally don't care. So leave the men alone and keep their seed out of your womb until you're married.
So many black kids grow up without a father and who are their role models?- rappers and athletes that have 8 kids with 7 women. Obama had a unique opportunity to say "Cut the crap!, There's a better way!" and to be a true LEADER for the black community...but nah- right from the get go he perpetuated the old, tired victimhood narrative (the Robert Louis Gates incident.) He blew it. He totally blew it. He is so gutless.
Agreed. But it's not too late. Obama could still turn his attention to showing people what the real needs of the children of the black community are and how their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles can and should meet those needs. Bill Cosby could point him in the right direction. Cosby is fairly far to the left in many ways, I think, but he understands children.
How would Obama know anything about what the black community needs? He grew up either in white societies or moooslim schools in Indonesia.
When I read the article when it first published, the first person I blamed was the mother. She should be fixed. Period. I can't even imagine her batting an eye over this poor kid's demise.
She's probably all tore up inside....for losing her golden egg.

"but if you speak out about it, you’re a hater,..."

You know what? I have complete contempt for these nasty trollops who don't use birth control, then have these kids with no plans to raise them properly & then don't bother to protect them from these knarly sleazebutts who don't give a damn where they stick it, just as long as they get it off. May their souls rot in hell for all of eternity. So, count me right in there with the haters of such awful people.
Greetings: