5 Smart Comedies You Haven’t Seen on Netflix

Check out these hidden gems.

Kyle Smith

August 21, 2013 - 9:00 am

shutterstock_105692996

Feel like kicking back with a laffer tonight? Thanks to Netflix streaming, there is a bewildering array of mediocrity available at your fingertips, and you’ve already seen Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Back to School and 48 Hrs. But in the rubbish pile there are lots of hidden gems. Here are a few of my favorite on-demand Netflix comedies. Just don’t let your thumb slip and exactly dial up Kathy Griffin: Tired Hooker.

1) Bernie (2012)

Tamping down his usual crazy-man instincts, Jack Black is brilliant as the title figure, a strangely polite, perfectionist funeral-home director who becomes a civic treasure in his small Texas town. Black gets across the sense of another personality hidden below the surface as Bernie becomes an almost slavish associate of a wealthy but exasperatingly demanding widow (Shirley MacLaine, who is perfectly obnoxious). Eventually he can’t stand her demands any more, and murders her. What happens next, as retold by an incredulous D.A. (Matthew McConaughey, also very funny) on Bernie’s trail, is even more bizarre. Full of fond Texas touches, this true story has to be seen to be believed.

I've got a better suggestion. "Monarch of the Glen" is streamable. And it far surpasses anything Hollywood has produced. Furthermore, there is no perversion, no dirty language and it's perfectly cast with characters you can love. "Midsomer Murders" is my second choice.
"Smart Comedies??" I've seen "Down and out in BH" and it's awful. People pay money to see Nick Nolte swim and smirk and Bette Midler (or was it Streisand? I can't tell them apart) scream? Really? The others don't look any better. Thank you for reinforcing my principle that no good movies have been made since 1960.
Adding "The Big Lebowski" and "Big Fish"
Little Miss Sunshine
First, I would remind the POTUS and my representatives in our legislature that they have NO CONSTITUENTS in Syria, innocent or otherwise.
Second, in ANY PROPOSED MILITARY ACTION, one needs to know what is the OBJECTIVE, How is that objective to be ACHIEVED, When and How do we exit and What Situation will we have created at that point. Retribution and Message Sending are NOT MILITARY OBJECTIVES!!
Wrong column?
army of Darkness is one of the best movies of all time. I was so pissed when my husband wanted to go see that movie because I thought it would be so stupid.it was stupid and I laughed my ass off the entire Time. "Yo, she-b##ch", "give me some sugar baby", "this is my boomstick", "shop smart, shop s-mart you got that?", ace holding his hand up to his ear and saying "huh?"....the great lines just go on on on.
Still need to catch "Oscar" with Sylvester Stallone. Fast forward through the first fifteen minutes, with Kirk Douglas and Yvonne DeCarlo. When you get past that mistake, the rest of the movie turns into a screwball comedy with Marisa Tomei, Peter Riegert, Tim Curry, and the Fanucci Boogie!
Local Hero was a real treat, and this brings to mind another nice little Peter Riegert film, Crossing Delancey, with Amy Irving. M. Emmett Walsh was amazing in the Coens' Blood Simple, back in the day.
Crossing Delancy is a great movie.
"Lars and the Real Girl" is one of the funniest we've seen in awhile, but be prepared for some major weirdness. Stick with it.
Agreed that "Bernie" was a true gem. Loved it and Jack Black was perfect in it. I can't imagine anyone playing it better.
Husband & I love "Lars & the Real Girl"! Not only funny, but has many good things to say/point out about small towns & the gift of humanity.
Wait, hold on a minute. Stop right there. Whoa. Hold it. Stop.

Kristen Stewart was in a good movie?
1 2 Next View All