A Boring Week of Excitement

Being bad can be fun. Why wasn't it?

Charlie Martin

August 3, 2013 - 3:00 pm

shutterstock_148020479

This was a week of lapses. It happened by accident. Monday was a carb day, because there were plans to go out as a group. Tuesday was not meant to be a carb day, but I went to an Indian buffet and the rice just called my name. One of my favorite dishes in the world is rice with dal (lentils) and raita (yogurt with cucumers and spices), and not only does the rice add something to the flavor, it’s damn near impossible to eat dal and raita without rice to hold it.

Wednesday was just flat out cravings. I Wanted French Fries. I Wanted Chocolate.

So I ate them. Sue me.

By Thursday I was over it, and feeling a little puffy, so I’m back on the low-and-slow plan, eating not many grams of carbs and making those all slow carbs. (White rice, really any grain, is not a slow carb.) I had the usual 5 lb swing from the carbs, but now the swings are starting from lows of 267 or so. And today I’m really over it, as I’ve got some kind of stomach flu; I haven’t eaten anything permanently (so to speak) since yesterday, so I’m kinda sticking to tea and, well, tea. Nothing else is of much interest.

I was talking with a good friend about my columns, though. She had looked at the meal pictures I’d run and commented that I didn’t seem to get much variety. This sort of surprised me, as I don’t think of it that way. Oh, I eat a very stereotypical breakfast, but doesn’t everyone? And I eat things that I can easily stick in the George Foreman Grill, because that’s easy and I like broiled or grilled meat. At lunch, I go to any one of a dozen restaurants, although I tend to get the same things every time at each restaurant — tandoori chicken at the Indian restaurant, buffalo wings and salad at Chili’s, big salads with tuna at Mad Greens.

You know, there "my distant relative is making a zillion dollars on the internet" comments are starting to piss me off.
Glad you enjoyed your side trip into eating "off the diet". If you ever get to the point where you never ever eat something you consider "bad"... let us know and we'll put you up for Sainthood ;)

Isn't it nice to know your body quickly says "you've had enough and it's time to go back to the regular meals again". In the world of food, boring isn't bad at all. It makes those side trips to other foods more memorable and worthwhile.

Hope you get over the stomach upset fast!
Thanks, Teresa, it was very transient; I felt better by last night.
Dude, if on one or two days you binge on carbs, because they're delish, then put on your damn shoes and run/walk a few extra miles. Problem solved. And if you are that bored with food then you are probably lonely.
Well, I'll grant the lonely part; since I'm a hermit that does happen every so often.
You just found out that having is not as good as wanting.

A lesson learned. Your body may still crave those 'fast carbs' for the sugar rush. It's a mental and physical addiction. You don't need rice to soak up anything, a spoon will work just as well.
"All things in moderation" was my father's advice regarding diet. He lived a very long and healthy life. I've followed that advice and have never had a weight problem or any need to see a doctor. I love food and love to cook and I think really appealing food has a lot to do with color, aroma and texture, especially texture.
"I think really appealing food has a lot to do with color, aroma and texture, especially texture."

True that. Probably more important is that you are sharing with someone you like sharing with.
Sometimes I find that absence makes the heart grow fonder. But only sometimes. A few years back I went on an extremely low-carb diet that I maintain to this day. I picked a specific day of the year as my "cheat" day, and I've found that these last few years what I want isn't always what I thought I'd want when I first started this diet. I actually acclimated really fast to eating mostly just certain selected vegetables and meat. For the first year or so, though, I did have cravings, mostly potatoes and pasta.

So on my first cheat day I had french fries to fill the craving. Even after a year waiting, my experience was kind of similar... I had a craving for them at the time, but upon having them was a sort of underwhelmed. I'd almost entertain the idea that biochemically something about potatoes makes us value them as a better food source than they actually are, but that's pure PFA. Either way, it's kind of a moot point... by the second year the craving was gone. Mostly what I wanted by then was thick-crusted bread and pie... the bread because I like crunchy things and low-carb doesn't offer many opportunities unless I seriously overdo it with the Barbeque, and pie because... well, because I like pie. I've always liked pie, so once a year I eat it. But unlike potatoes I find I actually enjoy pie a great deal more eating it on my cheat day than I did when I was eating carbs regularly. Go figure.

Now, I'm obviously on a very different plan. My metabolism doesn't seem to have required me to do a slow-carb switch-up, for which I'm thankful, because I've become so used to low carb it would be a pretty jarring adjustment. But my own experience suggests to me that sometimes the cravings for foods get blown out of proportion to how much we actually enjoy them, whereas other foods that we might feel so-so about when we're on full carb, we come to appreciate a great deal after a long hiatus. Whether that's a matter of personal psychology or an intrinsic property of certain foods, I am not well-versed enough in food science to say.
Am 74 years old and there aren't that many foods I like and some of those I can't eat because of gout. So I don't have variety in my eating and I don't care.
Most common gastro-enteritis (intestinal flu) is due to Camphylobacter in ~ 97% human cases. About 90% of those being from Camphylobacter jejuni & around 7% from Camphylobacter coli.
Bacteria source is guts of poultry, sheep ,cow, rabbit or pig (which carries C. coli strains) & it commonly is found still alive in water. In seasonal (warm weather) outbreaks are ~ 56% of cases are from chicken & barely ~35% from cattle.
Sounds like your exposure was at buffet from cross contamination from water borne C. jejunii. Poultry handling on restaurant counters are notorious sources; then the C.jejuini actually lives on easiest in niches that are dark, moist & cold.
Incidently: frequent home poultry (& meat) prep actually diminishes one's
susceptability according to "Risk Factors for Sporadic Campylobacter Infection in the United States: A Case-Control Study in FoodNet Sites"
Whatever it was, it was quick. The buffet was days ago though.
Just Keep on Keepin' on Charlie. You are being honest and doing great!