Bad Advice for the Royal Baby

The press is a bully. Don't let bullies tell you who you are.

Hannah Sternberg

July 25, 2013 - 9:00 am

Submit your questions to PJMBadAdvice@gmail.com or leave a question in the comments section, and I’ll answer it in Bad Advice!

Every week, in addition to my Wednesday Bad Advice column featuring questions from you, the readers, I’ll be doing a Thursday advice column for fictional characters, celebrities, and anyone else who didn’t ask for it. If you have suggestions for characters or celebrities you’d like me to give Bad Advice to, send them to the email address above!

images (4)

Dear Bad Advice,

I’ve only just entered this world and I’m already a celebrity. There’s not much I can do about it because it’s in my blood. How should I deal with the attention?

- Royal Growing Pains

This is going to sound like bad advice, but let your freak flag fly.

The Brits have every right to their "royalty". (They're paying for it.) What I can't understand is Americans getting all misty-eyed about the nobility. The concept, yes the essence, of Americanism is that there is no such thing as royalty, that nobility is within reach of each citizen, though it may be quite difficult to grasp, and has absolutely nothing to do with blood lines. But the final outrage is:
The royals have a heavy responsibility that weighs them down. They are the victims of their stern responsibilities. "Pull the other one" as the Monty Pythons used to say.

You do realise that at the beginning of this Republic that a full 50% or more of the population were in full support of the King of England? That almost all of our immigrants from other parts of the world grew up under some form of Kingdom or Royalty so that such a misty eyed response is to be understood. Not condoned mind you, but understood.
What is the connection between royalty and stupid hats?
It is self evident that you are lacking in the proper amount of Monty Python education. It is clearly explained within.
"She does return to the palace and her duty — but when you see her at the end of the movie, once more slipping on the mask of the irreproachable princess, you see in the sparkle in her eyes, and her new assertiveness, that she’s gained a new sense of herself that came entirely from within, and not from what people told her she was or ought to be."

Did we see the same movie? The ending I remember wasn't anything like that optimistic. It looked more like she was resigned to do her duty.