Pacific Rim: High Concept, Big Fun

Humans piloting giant robots to save the world from monsters emerging out of the sea to exterminate us all.

Stephen Green

July 13, 2013 - 7:32 am

pacific-rim-monster-600

Short version: Best popcorn flick of the summer.

Longer version? OK, longer version.

Giant monsters (Kaiju) from another dimension are invading earth through a trans-dimensional rift at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. They come one at a time, months apart, giving mankind time to unite and figure out a way to fight the beasties. And of course you fight giant sea aliens by building giant, human-piloted battle robots (Jaegers). The neural connection between man and robot is too much for a single human brain to handle, so two pilots are connected together in a neural “drift” and act and fight as one. Think of them as a flesh-and-blood RAID 1 array, if you’re geeky like that. The problem is, the alien attacks are growing more frequent and of course the aliens are also getting bigger and tougher. They even evolve weapons of their own, like acid spit and an EMP-type thing.

If you think giant monsters versus giant robots is just an excuse for city-busting battles… well, yeah. Of course. And if you think the neural “drift” is an excuse to heighten the human drama… well, yeah. Of course. Even better, the deeper connection between the characters, the better they connect in the “drift,” and the better they fight.

I told you it was high concept.

At slightly over two hours I found the non-stop action exhausting to watch. Whatever happened to the old ninety minute time limit on movies? It's also pretty clear that the movies are no longer United States centric. This film is clearly aimed at the Asian market, with mainly Aussie actors...er, warriors defending Tokyo against the sea monsters. I guess that doesn't mean much to the young but if you grew up when America was the undisputed center...it's sad.
I don't think your critique is really fair, in this case. There is a country with a long cinematic history of having its cities stomped on by Godzilla, Gamera, Ghidara and other assorted kaiju... and it ain't America. Centering the action in Asia wasn't slighting America, it was just being true to the source material.
So Stephen Green's idea of "high concept" is "humans piloting giant robots to save the world from monsters emerging out of the sea to exterminate us all." I'll keep this in mind in the future when he offers his opinions about anything.
from dictionary.com
high concept :noun, a simple and often striking idea or premise, as of a story or film, that lends itself to easy promotion and marketing.

Giant robots fighting giant monsters is literally a textbook example of high concept. I'll keep your understanding of language (or lack thereof) in mind when you offer any future opinions.
Want to see someone who doesn't understand sarcasm? Look in a mirror.
Yep, keep on supporting those leftists, as they use their money & fame to help destroy America.

And when your grandchildren ask what YOU did to try to fight their enslavement, you can tell them, "Well, I watched a few good movies!"

Mothra rocks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qU1OTH6X8M

Actually it's a Gundam or Neon Genesis ripoff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljXFL4dyDIk

I was always partial to Starblazers anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5oniErmeuE

Hahaha, it still cracks me up :D
Sounds like a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see it, but I'm amazed no one has mentioned this is a live-action (mostly) tribute to every "giant robot" anime made in the last 40 years. Gundam? Giant Robo? Voltron? So many examples, so many toy tie-ins. :)
Seems to me I saw a Godzilla film made some years ago that had giant suits like that with pilots inside.
It's silly and cliche-ful. And plain Summer fun. I enjoy Guillermo del Toro's work, especially the visual aspect of several previous flicks. Here the super-sized Ironmen vs. huge dinosaur-ish monsters is visually fun, and even nostalgic.

This following Despicable 2 definitely has Summer on a high note. Too many bad flicks. Now two Summer-time fun flicks.
I'd rather spend 2 hours watching my son play with Legos. Last time I checked Darth Vader had joined forces with Two Face to battle Batman and Indiana Jones. Now that's high concept.
Thank you for bringing me back to the moment when my son (23 now, 6 then) announced the crisis of his current play: "The Ferengi let the Romulans take over the Pride Lands!"
Loved, loved, loved it. It was exactly what it was supposed to be. The movie equivalent of kids playing with Lego.
No, your son is quite correct. This film takes awesome and then smacks it in the face. 2 hours just wasn't enough!
1 2 Next View All