Bad Advice for Aspiring Superheroes

Bad Advice: Pop Culture dishes out words of wisdom on sibling rivalry in Vallhalla.

Hannah Sternberg

July 5, 2013 - 9:00 am

Submit your questions to PJMBadAdvice@gmail.com or leave a question in the comments section, and I’ll answer it in Bad Advice!

Every week, in addition to my Wednesday Bad Advice column featuring questions from you, the readers, I’ll be doing a Thursday advice column for fictional characters, celebrities, and anyone else who didn’t ask for it. If you have suggestions for characters or celebrities you’d like me to give Bad Advice to, send them to the email address above!

images

Dear Bad Advice,

My brother gets all the glory and I’m done. I want to be a hero too. I have the skills, I just need to get out there and make a difference. But my brother always seems to beat me to the punch, and it doesn’t help that our dad favors him. People look at our family and think we live in Valhalla, but it’s not all perfect and I think I need to make a break with the whole rotten crew if I’m ever going to shine. Will my big chance ever come, or should I go ahead and create a little chaos to make my own opportunities?

- Loki Self Esteem

This is going to sound like bad advice, but stop trying to be a hero.

Sounds like Loki has a Generalized Personality Disorder:

Frequent mood swings
Stormy relationships
Social isolation
Angry outbursts
Suspicion and mistrust of others
Difficulty making friends
A need for instant gratification
Poor impulse control
Sometimes it is the brother, sister, parent, friend who is the problem. Some people are just twisted and delight in tearing down others and inflicting misery on others. In fact it is rather common, though the truly pathological ones are rarer. I've known a few though and the damage they have done to their families and friends has been lasting.

That said, the Hulk vs. Loki scene is great.
Thanks for responding! I 100% agree. Sometimes the sibling (or friend or parent or other figure) IS a toxic person, and in those cases the hypothetical letter-writer has a big challenge ahead of them. However, in either situation, the only person who can save you is yourself. The crux of this advice (whether your sibling is really a bad egg or whether it's all your own self-imposed sense of competition with him) is that at the end of the day, you're the only person who can overcome those challenges from within, find out who you really are and what you really want, and move on and heal from the damage. A lot of people take the damage done to them and exacerbate it by trying to change the villain in their lives, or extract some kind of retribution, when really the best revenge is living a full and rewarding life and leaving your villain behind in your dust.
Precisely. But some damage done can't be undone. My brother and I will never be close, or even all that friendly, because any possible foundations for closeness were undermined long ago. It doesn't bother me anymore and hasn't for years, but life could have been different.
Indeed. Try to forgive but it can never be forgotten. Some people also never grow out of their old ways and remain toxic all their lives. Best simply to avoid them as much as possible.