Dispatch from Canada: 146th Birthday Edition

In which I report from the not-so-front lines of the Great White North.

Kathy Shaidle

July 2, 2013 - 4:00 pm

eFdiRAw

Every Tuesday from now on, I’ll be reporting on the latest goings-on up here in the Great White North.

Why?

Because a lot of what you think you know about Canada is probably decades out of date.

As investment bigwig and journalist Theo Caldwell recently noted:

But Canada is far from American stereotypes of socialism, centralization and obeisance, at least in relative terms. By almost any measure, Canada is a freer country than the U.S.A.

Economically, the contrast is stark, for those who care to see. While folks reflexively state that Canadian taxes are higher than those of the United States, corporate and personal rates are lower up north.

How much lower are those corporate taxes? Canada ranks 6th lowest out of 185 nations. America came in at a shocking 69th place.

Believe it or not, Canada’s average household net worth is higher than America’s.

We also have lower unemployment, and our economy is holding steady, thanks in part to our ingenious refusal to give mortgages to welfare bums.

We have fewer divorces, fewer traffic fatalities, and way fewer tornadoes.

We’re skinnier, too. (Seriously: your restaurant portions are freakishly huge.)

But what about “the American Dream”?

According to one (Canadian) economist, “a son born to a poor father in the U.S. is twice as likely to remain poor throughout his life than if he had been born in Canada.”

full

We’ve got our flaws too, of course.

We literally have no abortion law, which means it’s easier to get one than a gun, even at the nine-month mark.

There’s no death penalty. And try getting an MRI, unless you’re a cat.

Our cops are increasingly corrupt, if not downright fascist. (Don’t be fooled by the propaganda about the noble, virtuous Mountie…)

We have this unelected Senate thing (long story) and a dorky constitution, especially compared to yours.

And don’t get me started on Quebec.

There are times when I hate living here, especially when it looks like our next prime minister might be this dingbat.

But those times come up less often than they used to.

So I hope you’ll check out my weekly recap – good and bad – of what’s going on in Canada.

To play around with that old saying:

Allow us to serve as a good example — or a fair warning.

(KATHY SHAIDLE is a blogging pioneer who runs FiveFeetOfFury, now in its 14th year. She's been called "one of the great virtuoso polemicists of our time," by MARK STEYN. Her NEW book is Confessions of A Failed Slut (Thought Catalog, 2014).

"See how i spelled his family name ?"

Oh, you spelled it TURDEAU, like "Turd". Ha. That's very witty. "Turdeau". I really must remembers that. Kathy, what a terrific readership you attract.
So basically you are one socialist Prime Minister away from being the economic basket case we are. Good to know
Kathy Shaidle upbeat on Canada? That's just wrong. Wrong. My worldview is shattered. You're supposed to tell everyone why we suck. How can I feed my self-hatred without you egging me on?
And then, of course, there's our Health Care system. Not perfect, for sure. But it does seem to work a bit better than the American model.

Canadians live an average of three years longer, have a lower rate of infant mortality, and don't worry about having to mortgage the house when we get sick.
Oh, Canada!

Hurray for Canada! Happy Canada Day! (Hope that is the proper phraseology!)
Looking forward to it!
Everything rings true except the part about skinny canucks. When you look at body mass index instead of weight to height rations I suspect that everything changes. We are still way to fat here however.
Actually, that percentage difference pretty accurately reflects differences in our nations', er, demographic makeup, I think.

Our climate was too cold for cotton, and we make our Mexicans go home after growing season. :-)
...we make our Mexicans go home after growing season

BAM, SAID THE LADY !!!
Ha ah..very good Kathy on calling the Turdeau a dingbat. I really needed that laugh so thank you. See how i spelled his family name ? That should tell you how some of us feel about him and his father's legacy in general. I fear he will get elected to be the next PM here based on star power alone. Kind of a Canadian version of American idol type of thing. Much the way president Urkle usurped the White House.