Finally! A Movie That Tells The Truth About 1960s Radicals

Very different from Robert Redford's terrible The Company You Keep, go see Oliver Assayas's Something in the Air instead.

Ron Radosh

May 20, 2013 - 11:00 am

“There was music in the cafés at night
And revolution in the air”

- Bob Dylan, “Tangled Up in Blue”

Finally, a movie has arrived that treats the story of the New Left honestly and in a realistic, mature manner. That film is not Robert Redford’s dreadful The Company You Keep, a paean to the Weather Underground, but the movie by the French director Olivier Assayas, Something in the Air. It takes place in various European locales in the summer of 1971, when the hopes of the European revolutionaries were shattered after the failure of 1968 to lead to revolution. Assayas’ film covers an assorted group of European New Leftists and some American tourist counterparts as they attempt to both get on with their lives and, for some, to keep alive their crushed hopes in a period of ideological and political retreat.

Assayas, who made the quintessential and powerful biographical movie Carlos about Carlos the Jackal, the Left’s most well-known ’70s and 80’s terrorist, now turns his attention in particular to the plight of the young graduating high school student Gilles, played by Clement Metayer, and his new girlfriend, Christine, played by Lola Creton. Each takes different paths. Gilles is guilt ridden over his desire to become an artist and study painting instead of serving the revolution, while Christine, plagued with guilt over her bourgeois existence, opts instead to live with an older man in a revolutionary collective and to devote herself to the task of organizing the proletariat in France and Italy. (All she does, we learn, is shop, cook and clean for the male comrades, as well as provide sex.)

The power of Assayas’ movie is that it takes place in real time, instead of flashbacks and narrative based in the present, as aging radicals try to come to terms with their past. We see these young people facing the options in front of them, each deciding which way to turn, as they experience the pulls to go one way and the warning signs that they had better think twice before acting on their impulses.

One gets the sense that, for those from outside the cultures in question, it's all a game of touristic slumming, like Third World backpacking or taking a tour of a shanty town, without ever really having to be forced to be a part of that culture. The difference is the political, do-gooder slant to the fake tour one can disengage from any time one wants.

Certainly the OWS series of occupations was such chest thumping to no purpose. A bunch of drama queens with iPhones who put up tents and didn't sleep in them. I've met them before - they want to feel alive but in truth risk nothing.

I've seen them in Chiapas when young American backpackers would tell me they were there to help Commander Marcos and young wannabe Mexicans would play the game too, meeting at kiosks in San Cristobal de las Casas at midnight, all wearing black ski masks and embarrassed when I'd stumble across them in my wanderings.

I've seen them in Costa Rica during the Nicaraguan Revolution, haunting beaches wearing the red and black scarves of the Sandinistas, which people would sell at rallies.

I've read accounts from such people who lied about what they experienced in the Egyptian revolution, claiming to be places I knew their timeline would never allow for, to up their bravery quotient.

It's all a game they can leave any time they want, never to have to be a doorman at a building they can't leave for bare wages, sleeping in some dirty back room while their wives live 200 miles away.

And they do leave. At the tale end of the Guatemalan civil war, in the summer of 1983, I saw not one gringo backpacker - because they were actually being killed for their games. They all latched onto Anderson Cooper as he left after being assaulted in Tahrir Square. Nice to be able to turn off revolutions like a TV. That's all it is for them, really. Get on a plane, leave, brag.
"I went to her site..."

How did you manage that? If you're referring to the foreigner mentioned by Fail Burton, I wonder how you found the web site since there is no link in his remarks and he doesn't mention her name.
Thanks for the tip Ron. Ill check it out.

I found the movie Carlos to be interesting, so Ill give this one a go. Carlos is available on Netflix, for those who may wish to check it out.

Thanks so much for recommending Something In The Air. I intend to see it as soon as possible. I saw the mini-series Carlos a few years ago. I recorded it either from Sundance Channel or IFC and watched it in one sitting. Brilliant in every area in which a film can be brilliant. I found parts of it not just ironically amusing but downright LOL funny. No directors are as capable as the French in being able to put human nature in all it's complexity on the screen and make it magically accessible and gloriously mundane.
"The movie is in many ways a critique of France’s once most highly regarded leftist filmmaker, Jean-Luc Godard, who made many pretentious and preening leftist screeds in that very era."

Yes, but 'Weekend' was great!
The effing scummy commies WILL NOT STOP, until they are STOPPED!
They have always counted upon the average citizen not quite understanding what the scummies commies are actually saying?
"Hope and change" shoulda made your head explode!
Howzabout SPECIFICS?
Nevah gonna happen. If you heard them like , en passant, mention, a Bill Ayers lunch to launch a nice, kinda black candidate who he kinda knows, YOU WOULD BE shocked!
It's nothing new. They consider themselves the enlightened. Therefore they can tell you what to do.
LSD had more than a tiny bit do do with this, by the way.
The Nazis did it better, because they hadn't discovered dope.
"...and it is fed by the pain I feel that every thing I consume, every move I make, every cent I spent, is part of a machine built by greedy people and run by their fearful, perhaps innocent minions and oiled by cowards. ...this is a cultural problem, this is a problem with white supremacy."

That's from the blog of a student-teaching assistant here from Asia on a visa at a major university writing about her disgust over "post-colonialist" white people who write science fiction. It's from January. These crazy nutters are worse than ever.

If I could, I'd have her thrown out of the country. She certainly should be.

She says her blog analyzes a "wide range of postcolonial, post-structuralist, post-modern, race and feminist theories."

In my day we just called it racial bigotry. She is often asked to speak at science fiction conventions because of her views on racist America. These people truly hate us and half of us agree.
Thank Teddy "Chappaquidick" Kennnedy.
In case you think him a bad example of the despicable Kennedy Clan, howzabout JFK pimping his teenage interns?
Or perhaps OLD JOE reporting from England that he thought we should side with Hitler? Whilst pimping HIS teenage interns?
A buncha effing SWEETHEARTS these SOBs are.
And Teddy wrote our current immigration laws. What could possibly go wrong with THAT? He needed more whores than were currently available. Wotsa guy to do?
I know. Teddy never wrote anything that wouldn't fit on a cocktail napkin. Yet, we let these idiots set policy for a half century later, because Camelot demanded it.
The rot is deep, dear friends. I hereby forgive any mention of Hitler. The analogy is only TOO apparent!
If you want to start a minor university, begin with a major one and employ bigoted and talentless teaching staff, emphasizing racial politics over any academic aptitude. In between making appointments for her triple charm bypass, that toxic miss appears to have learnt her English in a sewer.
I went to her site and read her....uh....perspective. If anything she is consistent n contradicting herself and the points are weak assumptions and prejudice within themselves. Unable to comprehend or accept reality, she has buried it in assumptions. Unable to produce anything of value, she produces detritus with hopes that the guilt ridden white race will pay her money and feel better.
Based on Leftist colonialism guilt bashing, these will be the first to complain if we cut aid to Africa in fighting AIDS and Malaria.
I am sure (sarcasm) while she is in Asia she will discuss tyranny and colonialism of those nations and races.
I agree, a total loser.
"I went to her site..."

It's a she and you just need to google a few of the words quoted. To help you out, I'd recommend that you skip "it", "is", "the" and "I". Try searching on "consume greedy innocent minions oiled".

That will get you there.
I went and read that post at the site as well. She is a foul mouthed Moonbat and her musings are pure psychobabble.

However, I did get a chuckle when she kept posting, "PoC" and all I could keep thinking was, "Piece of Crap."
When you drop a quote into Google it usually brings you to the source. It does in this case. In my opinion the woman's an idiot as well as nuts. She's admired for her views in the SF community. That's a damn wide gap. Maybe I'm nuts.
I've no idea if you're nuts (although I recall that you did laugh at Obama's deeply unfunny jokes - not a very healthy sign), but you're right in this case - and I didn't know you could slide a whole paragraph into google. I did manage to find the charming lass you quoted. She is everything that is wrong with English-speaking universities, the world over. Tragically, she is probably proud of the fact.
If white Europeans are so objectionable, why do these "Others" flock to white European territories to hang around them?

Shouldnt they be averse to attending a European university full of white Europeans and their evil ethnocentrism/supremacy? As if every other groups ethnocentrism isnt exactly the same.

Haters and bigots, the lot of them.

So.
Which does she sound closer to?
Hillary Clinton, or or Moochelle Obungles?
Either answer gets full credit!