Rule of Law

Add Me to the List of IRS Targets

May 14th, 2013 - 4:25 pm

Franklin Graham, the Tea Party, and Larry Conners all faced the wrath of the Obama IRS.

You can add me to that list.

After Obama was elected, I faced my first IRS audit shakedown after decades of filing income tax returns. Overdue coincidence?  Perhaps.

Given the headlines of the past 48 hours, perhaps not.

My audit experience was a headache, as anyone who has experienced one can attest.  When it happened, a former IRS lawyer with whom I associated in private practice told me – “it’s no accident you were audited.”

I brushed it off.  But I wonder how many left-wing election lawyers and leftist bloggers were audited.  Any Media Matters drones face an audit in the last four years? Step right up and announce yourself if you did.

Now we are learning that IRS employees committed crimes to aid the Left – shaking down conservative groups for information, and leaking the results to the Left.

I saw the IRS letters to Tea Party groups years ago.  They read like an opposition researcher’s fantasy:  demands for the names of volunteers, money, content of speeches, donors, offices, on and on and on.

Last week President Obama addressed Ohio State University students.  He told them to ignore the voices warning them of big intrusive government.  In doing so, he gave the middle finger to the philosophy and people who launched this nation.

Ronald Reagan was the better of Obama in so many ways, including his understanding of human history. He rightly warned us of a danger as old as time – that “freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.”

This wild, disturbing and dishonest week makes clear which of the two presidents was right.

And about that IRS shakedown — after the audit and many hours of wasted time, the IRS ended up owing me $100.

(Thumbnail on PJM homepage based on a modified Shutterstock.com image.)

Related: Emails Show Holder Justice Department Colludes with Lefist Outfit to Attack PJM Writer

Update: To read how a Philly area Tea Party eventually shut down because of the IRS abuse, read this.

Really- thats a goal? Is there a bullet point someplace on the GOP website you could share, or is this a mental telepathy thing you have going on?

Personally I dont see myself as a victim. I see myself as a citizen, outraged. I think theres a lot more of us out there, of all colors, and beliefs, who feel the same, beyond the narrow segments you have defined. And we don't need Boehner to speak for us, either.

I think you need to go back to Daily Kos or DU, where this stuff will attract more flies friendly to your mindset.

Back in the late 80's the IRS sent me a letter saying I had done my taxes wrong and they owed me a bigger refund.

Then several months later they sent me a letter saying that in fact I had done my taxes right originally and they had done their calculations wrong -and they billed me for return the increased portion of the refund - PLUS PENALTY AND INTEREST.

In the mid-90's they told me I had done my taxes wrong and that I owed them $1200. I could not figure out how they got their numbers - and they did not explain - but I sent in the money they requested. I next got a letter from them thanking me for clearing up the matter - along with a check for $500! By subtracting the $500 they sent back from the $1200 they said I owed, I was able to figure out the error I had made.

They are not just corrupt; they're stupid.

Since the dawn of civilization the tax man has been the natural predator of humans. Read your history if you doubt it. What's important here is the hand that held the leash. The administration blithely purports that this was just some self-directed, mindless apparatus doing what it does best. This is a lie. There was intention, there was direction, there was planning and there was a clear objective in mind. We are under attack.
How about the request (demands) to pro-life groups: have all members sign a pledge to not picket Planned Parenthood under penalty of law, and requests for the content of prayers...
I had my first run-in with the IRS this year. A few months back I received a letter from the IRS stating that we had failed to include a tax credit repayment on our income tax return form. They stated that they were automatically deducting the amount from our tax return. What baffled me was that the tax credit repayment was $500 (and was clearly included in the appropriate place on the form), yet they withheld $250.

After an hour and a half on the phone, I finally got the money back. I wrote it off as lazy auditing within the IRS. Now I'm not so sure.
John Bolton, ex-ambassador to the UN, says he was audited last year, as well. Same boat as J. C. Adams?

In other news; Obama doesn't always use ordinary phrases. His speech at OSU commanded the graduates to "Reject those voices!"
Dont worry. Holder says the DOJ will investigate itself.
State Department says Trust Us.

Besides, What does it matter, anyway?!!!
Obama's statements that he has no patience for the IRS targeting conservative groups, that it is unacceptable and he won't tolerate it, for some reason remind me of W.C. Fields when he protested, "What reprehensible fool stole the cork from my lunch?"
Back in May 2009, Professor Glenn Reynolds, better known to his followers as Instapundit, penned an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal in which he discussed some odd rhetoric from President Obama. Obama had been refused an honorary doctorate by Arizona State University, and Obama said, “President Crowe and the Board of Regents will soon learn all about being audited by the IRS.” http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124260113149028331.html
It doesn't surprise me one bit that you were targeted Mr. Adams. Your book Injustice exposed the current administration for what they are - hopeless Obama shills who will do whatever it takes (legal or not) to further their cause.
Lots of people get audited every year. Some of those people are bound to be Tea Party members or associates. It would be interesting to see if the percentage of Tea Partiers audited was...what's the term...greater than chance? Statistics gurus, help me out here.

Any way to get the necessary statistics?
The statistics won't be available for another 2-3 years.
The IRS is a bunch of dull witted goons that prey on conservatives. For 2 yrs. I had them all over me for my MOM'S taxes. Finally, we paid too, which meant over 18,000 smackers. They still could not admit that they were wrong even though they had BOTH payments! We wrote the feds several times & all we got back were form letters, with a check the box garbage. Finally, we got an accountant to help & even though he filed proof of the taxes being paid 2x, they "lost" all of the paperwork! Months later, we finally got a refund. These idiots could not find their posterior end with a search party & a spotlight... About the only thing they CAN do well is harass innocent people &, due to O's orders, go after any of his opposition. Frankly, ALL of the people that did this should be given a lengthy jail sentence w/o parole to encourage the others. Nuff said!
About a year ago I get an IRS letter stating that my 2009 tax return had the incorrect amount for taxes withheld. I do Turbo tax so I know the amount on MY return was after all my deductions. I was also unemployed for about six months that year. Nevertheless, they wanted an additional 3,000 from me - for a year that I only worked 6 months of.

I also happen to know that tens of thousands of these letters went out all over the country for the tax years of 09-10. Coincidence? I'm beginning to think NOT!
In response to Walk softly but.....'s inquiry as to the tea party and audits, the above letter came after I signed up for the tea party newsletter. I wasn't a member of a tea party, but I signed up for their newsletter.

hmmmmmm..........

They are not just corrupt; they're stupid.

Government bureaucrats have no skin in the game. They can be wrong, without repercussions, and they know it. They can be as wrong as they want to be, and there won't be any cost to them.

If you get a fine for your dog not having a license, it does not matter one bit if you have sworn testimony from leading zoologists that the animal is actually a hamster. You might beat the fine- but at your cost, your effort, and the bureaucrats who issued the fine won't be out a single dime. They'll be fully paid for every minute they spent fighting you.

Even you proved the fine was arbitrary and malicious and in violation of the laws, the worst the bureacrats would expect would be "retraining". (At taxpayer expense of course, and they would be paid during this training period, and not lose a day towards their retirement and other privileges).

There is absolutely no cost to being stupid. None. Therefore, no incentive to be smart. So we shouldn't expect it out of them.

Liberals want people like this to run our health care. People with nothing to lose or gain as a result of outcomes.
Like every human organization, the IRS is filled with people--some corrupt (and evidently targeting conservatives now), some competent and honest, some blockheads.

Because they are humans, and humans are untrustworthy, that is why government should be as small as possible.
1 2 Next View All