Ed Driscoll

Yet Another Journalist Says Lying Is A-OK

December 19th, 2013 - 7:28 pm

“MSNBC’s Toure: Lying to a ‘Corporation’ Like Amazon Is ‘Not Really’ Lying,” as spotted by Ken Shepherd at Newsbusters:

During a panel discussion on Amazon.com offering discounts to consumers who are parents — a discount mechanism completely on the honor system since the company cannot verify claims of parenthood — MSNBC The Cycle co-host Toure Neblett justified lying to take advantage of the discount, saying “nobody was getting hurt here.”

“If a lie is being told to a corporation, it’s not really a lie,” Neblett quipped, shortly after calling a lie about qualifying for the discount “a noble lie.” For his part, Business Insider writer Josh Barro also excused dishonestly benefiting from the discount because such discount gimmicks are “price discrimination” and because brick-and-mortar Amazon competitors are supposedly the victims of the cutthroat corporate suits at Amazon. [watch the video excerpt at Newsbusters]

But Neblett is himself a paid corporate representative, of Comcast, the parent company of NBC-Universal. If he thinks it’s OK to lie to a corporation, then the reverse must be OK as well from his perspective: In other words, that it’s fine for a corporation and its spokesmen — such as Neblett — to lie to its customers. And given the deep interconnections between NBC and the Obama White House, presumably, Neblett must believe that this sort of lying is acceptable as well, from a politician:

It’s a relatively new development for journalists to admit that lying to the public isn’t a bad thing, but it’s a rapidly growing phenomenon, as sophistry becomes an increasingly accepted practice in the MSM, to the point where it’s openly talked about by those who employ it.

Allow me to repost liberally (pardon the pun) from an item I wrote back in August of 2010, when Jonathan Strong, then of the Daily Caller, caught JournoList member Matt Yglesias advocating lying, via this tweet:

yglesias_sophistry_8-10

As Strong wrote in response:

Liberal blogger Matt Yglesias likes to call his political opponents “dishonest,” but in a revealing exchange on the website Twitter Friday he advocated lying for political purposes.

“Fighting dishonesty with dishonesty is sometimes the right thing for advocates to do, yes,” said Yglesias.

The exchange, with Washington Examiner writer Mark Hemingway, came on the heels of a debate between the two on transportation policy.

Yglesias pressed his point with another conservative writer, saying, “Do you really think deception is immoral in all circumstances?”

In an interview, Yglesias said he was not referring to his own conduct as a blogger for the nonpartisan think tank, the Center for American Progress, in advocating dishonesty.

Asked who he meant by “advocates,” Yglesias said, “Politicians, things like that.” Not bloggers? “Not me. No I don’t think that’s conducive to what I do. I’m trying to inform people, so I try to present them with accurate information,” Yglesias said.

“What I write on my blog is honest,” Yglesias said.

Well, so you say. And of course, that’s far from the only time in recent years that the Ruling Class media has advocated a little tabloid Taqiyya. As we’ve mentioned before, legacy media house organ Editor & Publisher ran a piece in 2007 that advocated similar tactics for the manmade global warming crowd titled “Climate Change: Get Over Objectivity, Newspapers.”

Not to mention former CBS anchorman Dan Rather telling Bill O’Reilly back in 2001 that “I think you can be an honest person and lie about any number of things:

Bill O’Reilly: “I want to ask you flat out, do you think President Clinton’s an honest man?”
Dan Rather: “Yes, I think he’s an honest man.”
O’Reilly: “Do you, really?”
Rather: “I do.”
O’Reilly: “Even though he lied to Jim Lehrer’s face about the Lewinsky case?”
Rather: “Who among us has not lied about something?”
O’Reilly: “Well, I didn’t lie to anybody’s face on national television. I don’t think you have, have you?”
Rather: “I don’t think I ever have. I hope I never have. But, look, it’s one thing – “
O’Reilly: “How can you say he’s an honest guy then?”
Rather: “Well, because I think he is. I think at core he’s an honest person. I know that you have a different view. I know that you consider it sort of astonishing anybody would say so, but I think you can be an honest person and lie about any number of things.”
— Exchange on Fox News Channel’s The O’Reilly Factor, May 15, 2001.

So why should anyone trust us journalists? Actually, you shouldn’t, as we’ll explore in a moment, if you trust us just enough to click to the next page.

"Yes, I'm eligible to vote, and I haven't voted before in this election
"Yes, I'm here legally"
"Yes, I'm using birth control" and "Yes, it's your baby"
"Yes, I'm unable to find work" and "Yes, I'm disabled"

So, its ok to lie to the I-R-S and tell them you have insurance when you dont. No ins, no fines. nobody gets hurt so its ok???
I honestly don't think that Obama, or any of his journominions, are able to tell the difference between the lie "No, I'm not hiding any Jews in my attic" and the lie "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it. Period!"
When you have defined the enemy as anyone and everyone who isn't in complete agreement with you, and further decided that anyone who is the enemy is evil, and lastly that your actions are the only good and correct actions to be taken, well then, the lies are not bad. They are definitionally the only moral thing to do!
... you believed him because he's black.
- Bill Whittle

He's not black. He's a mulato. Thus, by the logic of the G.S.S.E.R.S, he should've been half-open to skepticism then, and he's half-open to open criticism now.
only if they are islamists is it O K to lie , so long as the lie is in the name of allah.
In a country where the government repeatedly, and consistently, lies to the people, is a lie to the government an "OK lie"?

No, in that case, the lie to the government is a "noble lie".
There's an article in the Chicago Sun Times by a black activist where he states movies like 12 Years A Slave should essentially lie more by not having "white saviors" even if it's historically accurate.

Now they want to affirmative action history itself. The hits just keep on coming from Leftist racists. No surprise the guy is co-editing an anthology with science fiction and fantasy postcolonial racial revenge fantasies. Surprise! There's only white colonialism in history so only whites get knifed up by clockwork steampunk robots.

I would be steaming mad but privilege and shaking the money tree has a calming effect.
Now they want to affirmative action history itself.

Classic line. I'll remember this one.
Lying is not acceptable, and in the instance of the president and members of congress who lied repeatedly about Obamacare, they should be charged with criminal fraud, removed from office, tried and imprisoned. They have no defense, they did it..
That's very powerful video. I just wish that it could be seen by more than the choir.
We're all guilty of indulging in situational ethics from time to time. But it takes a Leftist to elevate it to a virtue.
You got that right . To err is human. To lie categorically and incessantly is Leftist design. It's all they have.
No, they have the public sector union votes and campaign cash. They have the career bureaucrats, including the judges. They have the teachers and the Professoriat. They have the newspapers and the TV channels. These guys have a lot more than just lies, they have all these quid pro quos where the U.S. taxpayer dollar has become the kitty for running their mountainous circle jerk club.

The elites. The ruling class and and rank & file working elites. They should all be forced by law to travel within the beltway only on litters. To reach across the aisle, they should let them hire illegal aliens to carry their litters. Keep costs under control, you know, that kinda stuff.
Common, nobody calls that toure' guy a journalist.....nobody. except, Ed Driscoll. common Ed....think.
We don't... but plenty of liberals and MSNBC do..

so there is always a small pool of the gap toothed he can lie to without ever being questioned about it.. yeah.. he's a minnow,.. but far from the only example..
MSNBC rating would be cut by 75% if the conservatives didn't keep tuning in to discover if there is any truth to the rumor that they hire liberals.

Maybe we can avoid the next 908 "discoveries" if everyone takes 3 seconds right now to say and believe the following. "Liberals will say or do anything." It doesn't have to make sense to you. It doesn't have to be pleasant. It doesn't even have to be important.
I will pay some attention to the media when their shills post their resumes alongside the tripe they write. As a general rule any media coverage of the few things I have any expertise in is sophomoric or worse. By extension we can fairly safely assume that their coverage of other issues is equally bad.

So much for "professionalism".
1 2 3 4 Next View All