Ed Driscoll

When Obamacare Mugs a Liberal Update: Video Replaced

November 15th, 2013 - 2:10 pm

California has been waging a war against independent contractors for the past 20 years, and President Obama’s administration has made it clear through their actions how much they hate small business in general. But in forcing so many people out of individual health insurance policies, they apparently never bothered to consider how many of those individual policy owners would be journalists.

Now is the time that Newsbusters juxtaposes, Small Dead Animals-style, “The Curious Case of Kirsten Powers,” featuring back to back clips assembled by their in-house video producer Bob Parks, featuring a liberal who was just mugged by her president. As the video’s title implies, the result was Powers going from “ObamaCare Cheerleader to Victim”:

Last week, the New York Times ran a piece titled “Daring to Complain About Obamacare,” in which leftwing journalist Lori Gottlieb, who lost her policy, feigned surprise at how quickly she was ostracized by her former friends, both online and in person, when she dared criticize The Won:

“Obamacare or Kafkacare?” I posted on Facebook as soon as I hung up with Anthem. I vented about the call and wrote that the president should be protecting the middle class, not making our lives substantially harder. For extra sympathy, I may have thrown in the fact that I’m a single mom. (O.K., I did.)

Then I sat back and waited for the love to pour in. Or at least the “like.” Lots of likes. After all, I have 1,037 Facebook friends. Surely, they’d commiserate.

Except that they didn’t.

Instead, aside from my friend David, who attempted to cheer me up with, “My dad, who never turns down a bargain, would take the sex change just because it’s free,” my respondents implied — in posts that, to my annoyance, kept getting more “likes” — that it was beyond uncool to be whining about myself when the less fortunate would finally have insurance.

“The nation has been better off,” wrote one friend. “Over 33 million people who did not have insurance are now going to get it.” That’s all fine and good for “the nation,” but what about my $5,400 rate hike (after-tax dollars, I wanted to add, but dared not in this group of previously closeted Mother Teresas)? Another friend wrote, “Yes, I’m paying an extra 200 a month, but I’m okay with doing that so that others who need it can have health care.”

I was shocked. Who knew my friends were such humanitarians? Has Obamacare made it un-P.C. to be concerned by a serious burden on my family’s well-being?

The heated reactions even moved offline. Frustrated, I observed to one friend who was covered through her work that when an issue didn’t affect people directly, they became “theoretically generous.” Ask them to donate several thousand dollars so that the less fortunate can have medical insurance — which is exactly what President Obama is asking me to do — and I’ll bet they’d change their tune about “ending inequality” and “creating fairness” and “doing what’s good for the country.”

As Rich Lowry noted yesterday at the otherwise left-leaning Politico, “the great engine of the welfare state,” which Gottlieb and Powers cheerfully supported for most of their adult lives, “is its hidden cost,” which recently crashed upon them, a la Mencken, good and hard:

Usually, the costs of a new program or regulation are too diffuse or distant to matter much politically in comparison to the promise of a direct benefit. This time, the costs aren’t hidden. They are immediate and concrete in the canceled policies and the higher premiums, and they are making the politics of Obamacare toxic.

But the response from Gottlieb’s equally politicized “friends” sounds very much like the “You Are Not OF THE BODY!!!!” reaction that veteran author Harry Stein received when he pointed out how inexperienced then-Sen. Obama was as a presidential candidate in 2008, at an upstate New York party chockablock with effete leftists, including the response from one, which led to the classic title of his 2009 book, I Can’t Believe I’m Sitting Next to a Republican!

And since I’ve been meaning to link to this for a couple of days now, another distaff Obamacare cheerleader now experiencing similar feelings of anger, regret and confusion is the person who Viacom’s Stephen Colbert described as that “vaguely ethnic smiling woman,” whom the makers of Healthcare.gov chose for the Website’s splash page:

obamacare_model_11-15-13

Behold, Obama’s Julia (another failed Website designer, ironically enough) made flesh!

Once the Obamacare Website crashed and burned so spectacularly it made the Hindenburg look like a marshmallow roast, the above model became the omnipresent radioactive face of flaming health insurance failure, alongside President Obama and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. QED:

national_review_cover_11-11-13

Speaking of juxtapositions, Kate of Small Dead Animals had this one on Wednesday, titled “Obamacare Imitates the Onion”:

October 22, 2013: “People In Healthcare.gov Stock Photos Now Visibly Panicking”

November 13, 2013; “Hated and ridiculed, the ‘Obamacare Girl’ defends herself”

Heh. So who is she? Exactly who’d you’d expect: “Obamacare girl not a citizen, hasn’t signed up and….wasn’t paid,” Catherine Wilkinson of the Victory Girls blog notes, not unsympathetically:

She thought she was merely getting some benefit from a deal with the devil and it didn’t happen.  And she’s feeling the hurt.

Much like a lot of Americans feel right now….especially two-time Obama voters. This, from the above ABC/Obamacare link:

“Speculation swirled that Adriana might not be a legal resident of the United States, and therefore not even eligible for the health care exchanges.  Adriana said she is a wife and mother who lives in Maryland with her 21-month-old son and husband of six and a half years.  her husband is a U.S. citizen, as is her son.  Adriana, who is Colombian, said she has lived legally in the U.S. for more than six years, is currently a permanent resident and is applying for citizenship.

Though she is eligible for healthcare through the ACA, Adriana says she hasn’t signed up for it, and is neither in favor nor against it.”

And on top of not being a citizen AND not signed up for it, she was never paid for her services.

The irony….it burns.

Is it fair for ABC to track her down and solicit her reaction? Well, about as fair as the media gleefully tracking down one of the actresses in Hillary’s “3:oo AM” video in 2008 to report that in reality, she was an Obama supporter.

Here's $1000 to your $1 that Kirsten Powers votes for Dim Dems next time and forever. It's not a belief system, it's a disease.
Nanzi, if you like your plan...will you read it?

Liberal fascism...hey, at least Mussolini made the trains run on time.

It's more expensive, it's built on a pack of lies , it's overseen by an IRS that needs to plead the fifth, but at least the "fix" is in.

Oh wait, that came out sounding--um--truthful
That's what the liberal members of my family always told me: "I'm happy to pay a little more so that the poor can have better health care."

Question: So why weren't voluntarily paying more before--donating a few hundred a month to organizations that provide health care? Or maybe standing outside a hospital looking for people who needed financial help?

Answer: [crickets]
I really enjoy the liberals getting the bill for what they voted for, as if a person with a pea sized brain couldn't realize that the costs projected were wrong, and they were told it was wrong and chose to ignore the facts, promote the lies, and now are only upset because they are going to have to pay the piper.

Unfortuantely their lies, helped others to vote for this, and force the bill onto so many more, like business people who knew that the costs were wrong,
Could NOT have happened to a nice shill for the libtards who are currently destroying this country - another liberal MSM member who feels the pinch directly of the people she constantly defends against the "opposition terrorists"

the irony is richer than french mousse...
Leftists are always generous with other peoples money, but just force them to pay for the bill themselves, and you would be surprised at how fast their altruism evaporates.
You may be an Obama supporter, but are you really willing to support others who will be given your tax money to provide them with health insurance? Your rates go up to support them and your annual deductible amount goes up, too. Obama is trying to delay this for ONE year, but from then on you will pay those extra rates and deductible costs. Since the Democrats can’t be depended on to join the effort, it’s up to us to vote for Republicans to get enough people in office who want to repeal the law. This is at all government levels. Vote your pocketbook. Remember, it’s YOUR money. This situation is hardly different from being assigned to support an illegal alien, which will happen when Amnesty is the law.
See http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2012/october/11/health-care-immigrants.aspx
We all knew that it is the middle class that gets wonked with propping up government. You get a heck of a lot more money from the 99%ers than you do the 1%ers. That is the way it always has been and always will be. Conservatives are conservatives because we have always known this and it is instilled in our every brain cell. Liberals...well...to be honest..I don't know what it is in their cells.
I wish you had added a warning next to the link to Victory Girls. I linked at work and hope I scrolled my screen down quickly enough.

Lessee - I give more than $200 a month to help the less fortunate. But I do that voluntarily. (Not living in the US, I also pay 5% socialized medicine tax plus mediigap. Your future, America!)

If I am correct, Wag the Dog was produced as an attack on Bush (I think he also had trouble with appointees who had to resign for employing illegal aliens - sorry - criminal invaders). It just ended up coming out during a Democratic administration that seemed to take int as a policy prescription.
mzk, I don't see what you are complaining about at the Victory girls website. That top pic is the worst of the bunch and it is nothing but a pinup girl from the WWII era and even that pic didn't show much. If you go back there check out the short clip of someone explaining zombies to Bob Hope. It is hilarious.
"Usually, the costs of a new program or regulation are too diffuse or distant to matter much politically in comparison to the promise of a direct benefit."

LOLOL

This is exactly the thinking with all those mortgage backed securities. Sure some of them were bad apples, but the cost of defaults would be spread around to everyone and thus diffused...until they weren't.

But would liberals ever admit their thinking is no better than those robber banks?

LOL

How can you stand people who engage in such dishonest or idiotic reductions.

First of all, $200 per month saved over 18 years is 2 years of college tuition.

Second, it will be way more than $200 per month affecting millions of people who are squarely in the productive lower and middle class while the wealthy and government employees get a pass.

And the biggest point is that this is not the best or even an appropriate way to "give health insurance to people who need it". The ACA makes the problem twice as bad and then deals with it half as efficiently as things are currently. Geeze
Nancy is part of the 1% that don't care how much more the middle class pays, she already has great health care and she can keep it.
Yeah but Lori and her friends still miss the basic trick(s) here, which is that you are "asked" to contribute a few thousand dollars more to help the poor, and then *another* few thousand more to save the whales, and then *ANOTHER* few thousand more for Solyndra, and then YET ANOTHER few thousand more to pay off Iran, but basically if you vote Democratic then maybe they'll let you out of one or another of those levies, ... and then our entire system of culture and government is gone, and only the poor solar powered Iranian whales are better off.
1 2 3 4 Next View All