Klavan On The Culture

Sorry to See Michele Bachmann Go

May 29th, 2013 - 11:04 am

Once, when I was attending a David Horowitz Freedom Center event — in Florida, I think it was — I wandered into a private meeting between Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and a handful of the center’s big donors. I can’t remember why they let me stay. I think I agreed to clean out the ashtrays or something. Anyway, it was fairly early in Obama’s first term and Michele was outlining her views on the economy and what she considered the proper Republican response to the onslaught of tried-and-false government solutions coming out of the administration.

The woman I heard speaking in that room was as sharp as any politician I’ve ever heard, and a lot sharper than most. Concise, realistic, clear-eyed, strategic — and with a grasp of economic realities that made the president look just plain stupid, which I don’t believe he is.

She was brave too. In the speech she had given at the event, she said, in effect, “Why should we be afraid of expressing our opinions? We’re the ones in the right!” I shouted out, “Sing it, sister!” Which is not like me. But how true is that? Let me help you: it’s very true. And she was as good as her word in the House.

Look, I won’t pretend I agree with her on every issue. I’m to the left of her socially — and certainly, where she sees a homosexual menace threatening the nation, I see gay colleagues, relatives and friends and wish them well.

But our dishonest media used her social opinions and a few meaningless gaffes to depict her as some sort of crazed extremist. She’s not. She’s a smart, tough lady with more sense in her head than any six Nancy Pelosis and more integrity, I suspect, than a dozen Harry Reids. I’m not sure why she’s decided not to run for another term, but I admire her and like her and I’m sorry to see her go.

[Cheers to Justin Folk of Madison McQueen, who did the great graphics on the video above.]

(Thumbnail on PJM homepage based on a modified image originally by Cheryl Casey / Shutterstock.com.)

Bachmann's most valuable contribution remains her repeated attempts to sound the alarm on Islamist infiltration of US government, military and intelligence services. History will prove her prescient and deserving of more than a footnote. As for her venerated republican colleagues, I recall McCain and Boehner referring to these efforts respectively as despicable and dangerous. I don't blame her for breaking out of the asylum. Hopefully she can find a sane venue to promote this message and more.
You're not my district, but I will miss your representation of Minnesota. You brought us pride, Congresswoman. God bless you and your beautiful family. We will carry on and move forward at every opportunity, I can assure you. And Mark Steyn's right, you're a babe -- not that there's anything wrong with that!
She has more class than all of the current creatures of the Left in the ruling Junta in DC right now.

But there is no sense of justice nor horse sense nor honor left in any of the creatures in DC of either stripe. Let them all burn.

This is horrible news. She will be missed. (And I am not a Christian, BTW.)

PS - PLEASE bring back Klavan on the Culture.
Me too--Michelle is a classy conservative. However, she unfortunately has little of the "gravitas" needed to carry the heavy water required of top-flight leaders. In other words, she would never have been an American Margaret Thatcher.
I think she could have been, and could still be later on if she ever gets the support she needs to do so.
...Director of Whatever replaces the IRS and administers the Fair or Flat Tax under President Walker.
YES! Dream BIG. It's the only way it will happen.
I believe Bachmann is taking another step towards her destiny; she knows where she's going and why. She's not done yet.
I too am sorry to see her go. Michelle was slammed virtually every day by the Minneapolis Red Star and Sickle (Star Tribune), which is hard core communism well to the left of the NYT. They were brutal and vicious with innuendo and outright lies. However, as you might expect, they adore Al The Fraud Franken, Keith Ellison, and King Obozo. While that propaganda rag is currently in bankruptcy, I cant wait until it swirls down the toilet where it belongs.
She was a "Wacko Bird" before Ted Cruz and Rand Paul made it cool. Unlike many other politicians, who say stupid things 10 times a day and get away with it because the media looks the other way, Bachmann had relentless trackers following her everywhere she went, watching her every move so they could pounce on the slightest gaffe. I'd last about a week -- tops -- under that kind of pressure. She never lost her cool in public. Classy and incredibly courageous.

My son had the opportunity to meet her last summer with a group of interns. They walked into her office and she greeted them all with hugs! He said she was incredibly kind and gracious and took the time to ask each one of them where they were from and about their future plans.
Would she make a great President? You bet. She'd be better than most conservatives, and ANY conservative would make a better president than the one we have now.

But unless the media grinds to a halt, and the evil, bitter shills that are pumping Barry's lies and treason into the underdeveloped noggins of America's somnambulistic voters are silenced once and for all, we'll never have a fair election again.

Let it burn, and we'll build from the ashes.
That's what the guys who put Hitler into power thought. They learned, too late, that they were wrong.
"From the ashes" reminds me of an excellent series of books by William Johnstone called "Out of the Ashes". It's uncanny how relevent those books are today. I need to dig those out and read them again.
One fewer "vaccines make you retarded" believer in Congress? Definitely a net positive.

Bachmann may or may not be an intelligent person. But if she is, then her willingness to be naively credulous towards a lot of things that some intelligent critical thinking would have belied is the more troubling possibility. She was and may remain catnip for a certain swathe of the low information electorate, but talk radio (or the like) is a preferable location for her than Congress.
I agree. And she's taken a ton of heat for that...
Agreed.
I don't know about her concerns about a "homosexual menace", and I'm all for live and let live, but I am getting tired of the group bullying indulged in by gay activists, who are trying to hijack the national discussion. Just in the last couple of days the Justice Department has laid down policies worthy of North Korea on the subject. In the name of diversity and fairness, all employees of the agency have to positively embrace the homosexual agenda, not even allowing them the refuge of discrete silence on the subject. This is the totalitarian mindset at work. You must think a certain way, and express only positively the party line. It's tyrannical and it's petty.
1 2 Next View All