Klavan On The Culture

Sorry to See Michele Bachmann Go

May 29th, 2013 - 11:04 am

Once, when I was attending a David Horowitz Freedom Center event — in Florida, I think it was — I wandered into a private meeting between Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and a handful of the center’s big donors. I can’t remember why they let me stay. I think I agreed to clean out the ashtrays or something. Anyway, it was fairly early in Obama’s first term and Michele was outlining her views on the economy and what she considered the proper Republican response to the onslaught of tried-and-false government solutions coming out of the administration.

The woman I heard speaking in that room was as sharp as any politician I’ve ever heard, and a lot sharper than most. Concise, realistic, clear-eyed, strategic — and with a grasp of economic realities that made the president look just plain stupid, which I don’t believe he is.

She was brave too. In the speech she had given at the event, she said, in effect, “Why should we be afraid of expressing our opinions? We’re the ones in the right!” I shouted out, “Sing it, sister!” Which is not like me. But how true is that? Let me help you: it’s very true. And she was as good as her word in the House.

Look, I won’t pretend I agree with her on every issue. I’m to the left of her socially — and certainly, where she sees a homosexual menace threatening the nation, I see gay colleagues, relatives and friends and wish them well.

But our dishonest media used her social opinions and a few meaningless gaffes to depict her as some sort of crazed extremist. She’s not. She’s a smart, tough lady with more sense in her head than any six Nancy Pelosis and more integrity, I suspect, than a dozen Harry Reids. I’m not sure why she’s decided not to run for another term, but I admire her and like her and I’m sorry to see her go.

[Cheers to Justin Folk of Madison McQueen, who did the great graphics on the video above.]

(Thumbnail on PJM homepage based on a modified image originally by Cheryl Casey / Shutterstock.com.)

Bachmann's most valuable contribution remains her repeated attempts to sound the alarm on Islamist infiltration of US government, military and intelligence services. History will prove her prescient and deserving of more than a footnote. As for her venerated republican colleagues, I recall McCain and Boehner referring to these efforts respectively as despicable and dangerous. I don't blame her for breaking out of the asylum. Hopefully she can find a sane venue to promote this message and more.
She has more class than all of the current creatures of the Left in the ruling Junta in DC right now.

But there is no sense of justice nor horse sense nor honor left in any of the creatures in DC of either stripe. Let them all burn.

If there was justice in the Republican party, Bachmann would stay and McCain, Graham and Rubio would go.
This is horrible news. She will be missed. (And I am not a Christian, BTW.)

PS - PLEASE bring back Klavan on the Culture.
Me too--Michelle is a classy conservative. However, she unfortunately has little of the "gravitas" needed to carry the heavy water required of top-flight leaders. In other words, she would never have been an American Margaret Thatcher.
I think she could have been, and could still be later on if she ever gets the support she needs to do so.
Nice post. I think that this is a victory for the Karl Rove/RINO crew. I can just imagine the phone call from the Rovians quietly telling Michelle "time to go".
I hope we find out why she left. I suspect it is nothing more than that she is a Conservative, and such as we get tired of the D.C. crap quickly. I bet she ends up following in DeMint's footsteps, heading up some group. Whatever she does, i wish her well.
...Director of Whatever replaces the IRS and administers the Fair or Flat Tax under President Walker.
YES! Dream BIG. It's the only way it will happen.
I believe Bachmann is taking another step towards her destiny; she knows where she's going and why. She's not done yet.
I too am sorry to see her go. Michelle was slammed virtually every day by the Minneapolis Red Star and Sickle (Star Tribune), which is hard core communism well to the left of the NYT. They were brutal and vicious with innuendo and outright lies. However, as you might expect, they adore Al The Fraud Franken, Keith Ellison, and King Obozo. While that propaganda rag is currently in bankruptcy, I cant wait until it swirls down the toilet where it belongs.
She was a "Wacko Bird" before Ted Cruz and Rand Paul made it cool. Unlike many other politicians, who say stupid things 10 times a day and get away with it because the media looks the other way, Bachmann had relentless trackers following her everywhere she went, watching her every move so they could pounce on the slightest gaffe. I'd last about a week -- tops -- under that kind of pressure. She never lost her cool in public. Classy and incredibly courageous.

My son had the opportunity to meet her last summer with a group of interns. They walked into her office and she greeted them all with hugs! He said she was incredibly kind and gracious and took the time to ask each one of them where they were from and about their future plans.
Would she make a great President? You bet. She'd be better than most conservatives, and ANY conservative would make a better president than the one we have now.

But unless the media grinds to a halt, and the evil, bitter shills that are pumping Barry's lies and treason into the underdeveloped noggins of America's somnambulistic voters are silenced once and for all, we'll never have a fair election again.

Let it burn, and we'll build from the ashes.
That's what the guys who put Hitler into power thought. They learned, too late, that they were wrong.
"From the ashes" reminds me of an excellent series of books by William Johnstone called "Out of the Ashes". It's uncanny how relevent those books are today. I need to dig those out and read them again.
One fewer "vaccines make you retarded" believer in Congress? Definitely a net positive.

Bachmann may or may not be an intelligent person. But if she is, then her willingness to be naively credulous towards a lot of things that some intelligent critical thinking would have belied is the more troubling possibility. She was and may remain catnip for a certain swathe of the low information electorate, but talk radio (or the like) is a preferable location for her than Congress.
There was a widespread belief in that, and facts to support it. More recently, some facts have come out against that belief, but it is not conclusively decided one way or another. There is no medical certainty on this.

In fact, there is little certainty at all in medicine. (Just think about the views on cholesterol over the years to appreciate this.) So, it is wrong to condemn her for this, because she may be proven right, in the future. You don't know any more than she does about this, yet you condemn her. You think you are so damned smart. You are so damned certain you are right, so you feel free to judge and condemn her.

Before you get all certain again, my brother received 15 credits in medicine from Harvard for his research on exactly this issue, and his research showed that, indeed, vaccines may be a big cause of autism, although it's not definitive. (There is a long way to go in medicine.)

This information, supported by others, was presented to Congress. This was likely where she got her views, from official information given to Congress. It could be wrong, but it does not make her credulous, because it was backed by real research.
Bachman's comment was not a belief, it was an anecdote shared by a constituent. Her 'belief' was that parents shouldn't be mandated to give their kids vaccines. As a parent, I agree.
Oh relativism, what would we do without you.

Your embrace of intellectual relativism, your claim that all ideas are "equal" so long as "official information" or "research" - of any kind and quality - can be found to support them.

Frankly, you relativists make me sick. The moral relativists would have us believe that anything can be excused in context. And the intellectual relativists would have us believe that no opinion is ever actually wrong, only unjustly "judged" and "condemned". The clarion call of the "vaxxers" the "birthers" and the "truthers" alike.

I work in a field where there is right and wrong. A field that deals in things that work or they don't, and if they don't there are real consequences. I pity those of you who go through life without ever being brought to objective task. A truly modern phenomenon.
What field do you work in? Most of the time we hear this line is in regard to evolution or global warming, where it is really difficult to impossible to prove things one way or another.
What I find so upsetting about the way Bachmann was attacked for the vaccine comment is that so many of the same people give credence to Jenny McCarthy as if she is some giant intellect.
1 2 3 Next View All