The PJ Tatler

At Least One Dog Poisoned at Britain's Prestigious Crufts Dog Show

An investigation is underway after a dog was poisoned and subsequently died after attending Britain’s Crufts dog show.

The Kennel Club said Sunday it was “deeply shocked and saddened” upon hearing reports that 3-year-old Irish Setter Thendara Satisfaction, known as Jagger, had been poisoned at the world-famous show. The setter’s co-owner told the publication Dog World that the animal collapsed upon returning to Belgium after competing.

Jagger died 26 hours after leaving the show.

Bur reports have surfaced that more than one dog may have been poisoned. AFP reveals, “Claims that as many as five more dogs were suspected to have been poisoned at Crufts were splashed across the front pages of the Tuesday editions of British newspapers.”

“We must stress that these are at this stage just rumours,” a Crufts spokeswoman said, adding that no vets at the event had raised concerns and no official complaints were received from owners.

Below: Crufts winner Knopa, a suspect?

Crufts Scottish Terrier

“There are any number of reasons why a dog may display symptoms such as sickness…. As with any international competition rumours of sabotage do occasionally surface.”

The Telegraph reported that a West Highland terrier, an Afghan hound and a Shih Tzu all became ill after the event.

Owner Mylee Thomas said her multi-award winning Shetland sheepdog Myter Eye to Eye was poisoned along with another top dog moments before they were due to enter the competition ring.

“When I got back from the loo she had been violently sick in her cage. I got her out and she carried on being sick,” Thomas told the Daily Telegraph.

Has guilt written all over his face?

Crufts Dog Show, NEC Birmingham, Britain - 08 Mar 2015

“The top dog and the top bitch were both taken ill minutes before they were due to compete… It can only be to knock them out of the competition. It’s rivalry, people’s desire to win.”


Join the conversation as a VIP Member