From Wendy Davis’ ill-advised wheelchair ad to Alison Lundergan Grimes’ refusal to even tell Kentuckians whether she voted for Obama or not (spoiler: she did, twice), the Democrats are doing an excellent job of destroying themselves.
President Barack Obama isn’t helping their cause, when he abandons his job for fundraisers and says that he isn’t on the ballot but his very unpopular policies are. Spoiler: No kidding, champ. You’re the president. The world is spinning out of control, by your own vice president’s admission. Your policies are on the ballot.
Lost amid breaking news on Ebola, for which the president bears some blame for downplaying the threat and for not shutting off air travel from the three stricken countries, and the march of the Islamic State — for which Obama also bears quite a bit of blame — the Republican Party has unveiled a positive agenda for the country.
RNC Chairman Reince Priebus announced the agenda in a speech earlier this month. It includes 11 principles that Republicans, independents and even millions of rank and file Democrats ought to have no trouble rallying around.
1. CONSTITUTION: Our constitution should be preserved, valued and honored.
2. ECONOMY: We need to start growing America’s economy instead of Washington’s economy so that working Americans see better wages and more opportunity.
3. BUDGET/DEBT: We need to pass a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution, make government more efficient, and leave the next generation with opportunity, not debt.
4. HEALTHCARE: We need to start over with real healthcare reform that puts patients and their doctors in charge, not unelected bureaucrats in Washington.
5. VETERANS: Our veterans have earned our respect and gratitude, and no veteran should have to wait in line for months or years just to see a doctor.
6. SECURITY: Keeping America safe and strong requires a strong military, growing the economy, energy independence, and secure borders.
7. EDUCATION: Every child should have an equal opportunity to get a great education; no parent should be forced to send their child to a failing school.
8. POVERTY: The best anti-poverty program is a strong family and a good job, so our focus should be on getting people out of poverty by lifting up all people and helping them find work.
9. VALUES: Our country should value the traditions of family, life, religious liberty, and hard work.
10. ENERGY: We should make America energy independent by encouraging investment in domestic energy, lowering prices, and creating jobs at home.
11. IMMIGRATION: We need an immigration system that secures our borders, upholds the law, and boosts our economy.
Return to the Constitution with its checks on presidential power — check. Repeal Obamacare — check. Secure the borders — check. Grow the economy, strengthen our defenses, boost energy independence, strengthen the family and let the private sector create jobs — it’s all there.
The devil will be in the details as always, and Barack Obama will remain president and therefore an impediment to sensible policies for another couple of years. But the GOP cannot be accused of not having an agenda or just hoping that the Democrats keep on destroying themselves. The GOP does have an agenda, and it’s a good one.
What do you think?