A friend of mine posted a link to this on facebook today. It’s a history of Bulverde, TX, from which we can learn a great deal.
According to the Handbook of Texas Online  referencing Oscar Haas, History of New Braunfels and Comal County, Texas, 1844-1946 (Austin: Steck, 1968), Bulverde was settled in 1850 and called Pieper Settlement, after Anton Pieper. For many years the closest post office was at Smithson Valley, and mail was delivered once a week to the house of Carl Koch in Bulverde. A local post office that operated from 1879 to 1919 was named for Luciano Bulverdo, an early area landowner. Mother Theresa lived in Bulverde for a short stint after a brief run-in with the law.