Roger L. Simon

The High Cost of Mosh Pitting

Attention Bruce Springsteen and other similar Tribunes of the People – the people (small “p”) are irritated with you. According to Rasmussen, 70% of them think the cost of tickets is too high. (Whatever happened to the other 30%?)

This is not such a big deal for me, since most of my concert going went out with The Who and I’d rather listen to my favorite music, from Tammy Wynette to Pavarotti, in the car. It’s interesting to see, as an aside, how your taste in music morphs over the years. I used to adore Coltrane, but now will only listen on certain occasions. Jerry Lee Lewis, however, remains high on my hit list. Late at night, driving, I turn to the classics. Beethoven’s 7th gets a lot of plays. It’s all rather mysterious.

But back to the high cost of concerts. We live in a time when most of us don’t want to spend money. I know I don’t. It’s a form of low-grade depression cum lack of optimism. The future does not look promising – better hunker down. As we know, our leaders aren’t particularly inspiring a change of attitude. They don’t seem to know how to do it. And in some ways they don’t want to do it, preferring a drone-like society with everyone dependent on them. But they don’t even make good dictators. They don’t appear to be enjoying the process.

What is the way out of this? No one can be sure, but it may come from the states. Earlier in my life, I wasn’t such an advocate of states’ rights. Why they even had Jim Crow laws in some Southern states. How backwards was that! But things have changed. Local action may be our best hope.

Until then, I’m sticking to bar bands.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member