On the day after the Fourth of July, and when Hillary Clinton was effectively exonerated over compromising sensitive information via her private email server, Americans on social media distracted themselves by imagining Donald Trump among the Founding Fathers.
#1776Trump went viral on Twitter, and the results are rather hilarious. Naturally, some tweets are insults unworthy even of Trump, but some capture his insults and bravado perfectly. Many mention Alexander Hamilton, the first Treasury secretary, who is remembered in the hit Broadway musical Hamilton.
Here are the 17 best #1776Trump tweets — enjoy!
17. Someone suggested who Trump would be in 1776 — King George III!
— Emerson Splozeyuns (@russell_herndon) July 5, 2016
16. This is a report about the hashtag, but still pretty hilarious.
15. Big Ben Franklin.
Big Ben Franklin is a crazy drunk. He flew a kite in a thunderstorm! Hugely incompetent. Bad!#1776Trump
— Paul Desmond (@tjazz56) July 5, 2016
14. 1776 Trump on Hamilton.
Next Page: Burning witches?
13. Trump throwback to the 1690s…
Don’t tell me burning witches doesn’t work Believe me, burning witches works okay? We need more witch burning, not less! #1776Trump
— Randi Mayem Singer (@rmayemsinger) July 5, 2016
12. Even with Trump, this goes too far.
11. Yeah, Trump would say this … about the guy who launched the Revolution.
— cassandracarolina (@cassandra17lina) July 5, 2016
10. This is gold.
Next Page: Fighting immigration, revolution style.
9. Red coats bringing crime.
Red coats are bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people. #1776Trump
— Brandon Cloud (@theclobra) July 5, 2016
8. The 1776 version of Hillary says…
7. All men are ENDOWED by their creator…
— Walt Hicks (@WalteBeest) July 5, 2016
6. The shout heard ’round the world.
Next Page: Give me liberty, or give me…
5. A taco salad!
— Bill Zachmann (@bzachmann) July 5, 2016
4. Huge, beautiful truths.
3. Trump insults, Founding-style.
The declaration is a terrible deal. Jefferson is low energy. Little Benny is weak. And Lyin’ John Adams is a nasty person. #1776Trump
— Paul Vale (@PaulVale) July 5, 2016
Next Page: Trump on George Washington.
2. The General should be fired.
1. Washington wasn’t president until 1789, but this is still hilarious.
— Steve Williams (@swillmedia) July 5, 2016