12-12-2018 10:18:40 AM -0800
12-12-2018 07:39:32 AM -0800
12-11-2018 02:41:26 PM -0800
12-11-2018 01:01:06 PM -0800
12-11-2018 07:40:58 AM -0800
It looks like you've previously blocked notifications. If you'd like to receive them, please update your browser permissions.
Desktop Notifications are  | 
Get instant alerts on your desktop.
Turn on desktop notifications?
Remind me later.
PJ Media encourages you to read our updated PRIVACY POLICY and COOKIE POLICY.

Stretch, grab a late afternoon cup of caffeine and get caught up on the most important news of the day with our Coffee Break newsletter. These are the stories that will fill you in on the world that's spinning outside of your office window - at the moment that you get a chance to take a breath.
Sign up now to save time and stay informed!

D.C. Police Chief: Trying to Stop Protester Assaults Was 'Very Dicey' Because Turks Had Guns

WASHINGTON -- The D.C. police chief confessed today that his cops were wary going up against armed security of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan even as the suited men attacked protesters assembled across the street from the Turkish ambassador's residence on Tuesday afternoon.

And the Turkish Embassy finally spoke out on the violent incident, blaming the Kurdish demonstrators for "provoking" Turks with their "unpermitted" protest.

Video from Voice of America Turkish, below, and other sources shows the pro-Erdoğan forces breaking through loose police lines and charging into the small crowd of demonstrators, hitting people and kicking those taken to the ground.

At a press conference this afternoon, D.C. Police Chief Peter Newsham vowed "to pursue everything that's within our legal power to hold the folks that were responsible accountable for their action."

"We intend to ensure there was accountability for anyone who was involved in this assault," he said, while acknowledging that diplomatic immunity may hamper that quest.

"We have very good video. We have a good idea of some of the folks that were there on the scene. We're very comfortable that we will be able to identify most of the assailants," the chief added, noting that the department is working with the Secret Service and State Department to identify the attackers and putting out a call for anyone with additional video footage of the incident to hand it over to law enforcement.

While the video shows some cops using their batons and pushing Turks away from the protesters, Newsham argued "police involvement in that case was very dicey because there were some people up there that had firearms, and they had to safely restore order."

"Thankfully, that was done without more significant injury," he added.

Protesters including Kurds, Armenians, Greeks, Yazidis, Assyrians and more began their demonstration at noon across the street from the White House in Lafayette Square before moving to the ambassador's residence. Before the attack, demonstrators were chanting and holding up signs demanding the release of Selahattin Demirtaş, chairman of the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) and the party's 2014 presidential candidate, who was arrested by the Erdoğan regime in November.

Video from before the melee shows Turkish officials arguing with police that the Kurds weren't permitted to protest, while the protesters yelled that the Turks were terrorists.

The Turkish Embassy declared that the Kurds in the demonstration were affiliated with terrorists and gathered "without permit in Sheridan Circle in the immediate vicinity of the Ambassador’s residence, while the president of Turkey was visiting the residence."

"The demonstrators began aggressively provoking Turkish-American citizens who had peacefully assembled to greet the president. The Turkish-Americans responded in self-defense and one of them was seriously injured," the embassy statement continued. "The violence and injuries were the result of this unpermitted, provocative demonstration."