VodkaPundit

Wither Whiskey?

August 26th, 2014 - 11:10 am
To dependence!

To dependence!

Scottish independence is a worrisome matter for the proto-would-be nation’s famed distilleries:

The currency debate is especially important to Scotland’s financial services industry, which accounts for 25 percent of the region’s economy, excluding oil and gas. Scotland-based groups such as the Royal Bank of Scotland and Standard Life, which rely on the stability provided by the pound, have warned about the potential risks of independence.

Part of that would come from the fact that an independent Scotland may be forced to drop out of the European Union and have to reapply for membership. The union of 28 countries guarantees free movement of money and people – a precious asset for companies, particularly multinational corporations, as well as exporters.

Nine out of 10 bottles of Scotch are sold overseas for a value of 4.3 billion pounds ($7.1 billion) a year. Being outside the EU would raise the prospect of new export duties to the EU, the world’s largest trading bloc with over 500 million people. Many distilleries import grain from EU countries to make whisky, something that could become more expensive. Scotland would also have to take on the job of shielding the drink from unfair trading practices, protect its trademarks and safeguard an estimated 35,000 jobs.

Left unsaid is that Scotland would be run entirely by assorted lefties, without a sane voice to be heard. What that would do for Scotland’s business climate is a subject no one should try to consider while sober.

Don't mess with my single malt. Just sayin!
So, given all of the business reasons to not do it, the Left is going to drive Scotland off a financial cliff to make a point.

Good riddance. I'll stock up on any whisky needs for the next decade, before it turns into overpriced crap and the owners sell the brands to the French.
Are you kidding, Steve? Scottish independence would be awesome.

1: The Scots would get boned by socialism good and hard, with no OPM to save them. It's the best thing that could happen to them.

2: Without the Scottish leftists in Parliament, IIRC the Tories would be likely to win an outright majority.

Win, win.
I just now said "OPM" out loud, and finally noticed that it is pronounced "opium".

Now there's a solid truth.
I have sentimental ties of course to my ancestral homeland, which occasions an emotional desire to see it take its place once again among the sovereign nations of the world.

But given Scotland's overwhelming leftward tilt (apparently all the Adam Smith types emigrated) and the effect that has had on UK politics while the rest of Britain wants to leave socialism on the trash heap where it belongs, I also favor Scottish independence for the benefit of the English and Welsh.

After all, I have ancestry from those places too.
They can just send everything 18 years or older to me for safe keeping.
Just so long as you don't live in earthquake country. They seem to be having trouble keeping their bottles on the shelves lately....
Let me know if that pans out and I'll be right over.
Actually, here in Napa, I have been going around with a straw.
Looks like I'm going to have to go on that distillery tour before the sh*t really hits the fan.