VodkaPundit

The New Old Grand Old Party

March 11th, 2014 - 9:28 am

REPUBS-2-articleLarge

Jonathan Martin reports from CPAC:

It was difficult to miss Ian Jacobson at the Conservative Political Action Conference. Known as Rooster, he was 33, with an ample beard, earrings and a towering orange-and-aqua spiked Mohawk haircut. But he also sported a pinstriped suit, French cuffs and a natty contrast collar.

Mr. Jacobson’s sartorial contradictions matched those of his politics: He is among the young Republicans who are pro-free market on fiscal issues and libertarian on social ones. While his views represent a potential growth wing for a party that is losing among other demographic groups, they also show an emerging tension with the older social conservatives at the core of the party’s base.

“I want us to return to our roots,” Mr. Jacobson said while attending the conference over the weekend. A self-described “libertarian-leaning Republican” from San Antonio, he sketched out his ideal political party as one that freed individuals to chart their own course in their personal and professional lives.

The story notes that even GOP presidential hopefuls at the convention “largely avoided divisive social issues or mentioned them only to praise their party’s big-tent tolerance.”

Even the old guard might be starting to learn.

Rooster's my kind of Republican. At its most basic, I believe that America is supposed to be about letting free individuals chart their own course in their personal and professional lives, aka "pursuit of happiness."
"He is among the young Republicans who are pro-free market on fiscal issues and libertarian on social ones."
So will he pay for poor womens abortions? Food and shelter for women born out of wedlock? Drug rehab for the people caught in the dealers web?
Will that hairdo fit "under the tent?"
That's the way a large part of the Republican Party was back in the early 80's, at least around here. Lots of long haired, dope smoking, sorta but not quite hippies. Gun toting, libertarian, and "leave me the hell alone"!

Remember when GHW Bush said he was proud to be a card carrying member of the ACLU? I was too. And the NRA. And the Sierra Club. And I registered "R" a few days after I turned 18.

It's amazing how much things can change in a few decades.

OK, so you live either in the Northeast or the Northwest, amiright?. New England and New New England. Through the mid-80's, the last bastions of Progressive Republicans, and the most firearm-friendly blue states.
South Central PA. Where just a few years ago, a nearby county was deemed “the most Republican County in the US”.

But IMO, it’s a more “leave me the hell alone” form of Republicanism than “progressive”. But, whatever.

I moved away for 15 years, traveled the world, and then decided maybe this isn’t such a bad place to live after all.

Now that I’ve studied the history of my Scotts-Irish and German/Austrian/French ancestors who settled this place, and still dominate it, I understand why.
I bet the vast majority of Americans would sign on to "Out of the bedroom, out of the boardroom." Why oh why is it that with our two major parties, we always have to choose?
"Even the old guard might be starting to learn."

I'll believe that when legislation starts getting passed and signed that actually rolls back the gov. Not just slows it's growth.
"Even the old guard might be starting to learn."

Don't bet the farm on that one just yet.
Going by past performance, they'd much rather compromise with the Libs than with us. Even if said compromise meant selling us down the proverbial river. Maybe even especially if it meant selling us down that river!

Isn't he the model for those mens' suits advertisements you guys keep serving me?
My, where have you been clicking?
Hipster-doofus formal apparel, apparently.