VodkaPundit

Inspiring the Falcon

February 22nd, 2014 - 10:10 am

MILLENIUM FALCON

A must read for history buffs and/or fans of Star Wars.

The big themes are old news to some of us, but there are tons and tons of new details you’ve never read before.

If you really want to get picky, listen for the ricochet sounds from the laser bolts.
I always suspected that the Falcon's engine noise was rooted in the P-51 and the Rolls-Royce Merlin. You can hear the rumble of the engine and distinctive howl of that eminates from the "dog house" - the radiator scoop and exhaust door combo - on a Mustang that is fully wicked up. As someone who's been out to the pylons at Reno it's truly a nice vibraty feeling through your guttiwuts, oh my brothers.
The WW2 bombardier is in a B-17E: by the next model, the B-17F, they had managed to do away with all the structure supporting the Plexiglas. So not only does Star Wars hark back to WW2, it harks back to technology that was obsoleted during WW2.

And incidentally, some of the Storm Troopers are toting WW1 Lewis guns, less magazine drums.
Star Wars recycled a whole lot of military technology & tactics, all of it appallingly obsolete. If you're looking at Star War's science fiction as a predictor of the future or even for novel ideas, look elsewhere.
While I am a Star Wars fan, I always feel it is necessary to point out that it is NOT science fiction. Nowhere in any of the movies* do they really discuss science; instead they discussed the Force and compared it to religion. If I were to name a genre that Star Wars fits in, it would be space fantasy.

*To this date, I've never fully watched Attack of the Clones after stopping less than halfway through that crapfest in disgust. So I suppose they could have mentioned some science in it, but I doubt it.
I go for space opera, but there were no songs outside the canteen. omg, I'mna seeing a dance number around and on top of Jabba... my eyes, MY EYES!!!

And czech out the small arms, Han rocks a broomhandle mauser, and the storm troopers hold a plethora of wwii prop weapons painted black, stens, mg34's, etc
If there isn't already a rich literature detailing how Star Wars recycled the old themes from Westerns and WW2 flicks and made them palatable to the oikophobic studios, there should be.
I once toured through a B-29 that was on display in Arizona when I was a teenager. I remember thinking as I peered into one of the gun turrets that it looked similar to the Millennium Falcon .