VodkaPundit

White People Suck

December 20th, 2013 - 8:51 am

Somebody isn’t having a very merry Christmas:

The line at the post office was 18 people deep.

I’d been waiting awhile, and was thinking about something I’d read: that in Europe, public services are for the public — meaning everyone — whereas in the US, public services are for those who can’t afford a private alternative. Hence the wait.

I looked around and noticed that no one among the patrons or the employees was a white man. At the Hanover Street post office, a half block off Wall Street, that was notable.

A white man walked in. He surveyed the line and confidently jetted past it, over to an employee pushing a wheeled bin across the floor. He put his hand on the employee’s back. He said, “Hey buddy … can you do me a favor? I just have this one thing.”

I also just have this one thing, I thought. And, this line is for people who have one or more things, douchebag. And, you have no right to ask a “favor” that dicks over 18 people uninvolved in granting the “favor.”

Fortunately, the mystified employee — who was not white — sent him to the back of the line. I gloated.

So a jerk tries to cut in line, gets called on it, goes and stands in line and… this is an indictment of white people.

Somehow.

Look, patiently queuing up began as near as I can tell in Anglo-Saxon cultures. Go anywhere in the Third World, and instead of orderly queues, you see masses of people crowding around whatever the wait is for. It’s a cultural thing — witness how 18 people of every color were lined up patiently in this story. Witness also how a person-of-color-other-than-pinkish is the one who restored order to the queue. Race isn’t involved here. What’s remarkable is the adaptability of what was formerly just an Anglo-Saxon social norm to a continent-spanning polyglot republic.

The author, jendziura, goes on to quote a white jerk trying to teach other people (presumably of any color) how also to be jerks. What’s remarkable isn’t the jerk’s jerkiness, but how someone like jendziura, in the process of decrying all this white privilege, is in fact applying social norms originally created by some of the pastiest white people to have ever lived.

And that’s a good thing. Anglo-Saxon social norms have worked for pretty much anybody who’s ever adopted them, no matter what their skin color or religion. Those rules evolved organically from a culture where people were mistrustful of authority but trusting of their neighbors. Those two things right there are big parts of what we like to consider being civilized. Waiting your turn in line is the recognition that while I have the right to get what I want, my neighbors have the equal right to do the same thing. “First come, first serve” is the only real egalitarianism.

I think on some level jendziura gets that. But the meaning is lost in the fog of the racial prism through which she chooses to view things.

Let's see. One white person of the jerk persuasion means all white people are jerks.

While dozens of black "youths" sucker punching unsuspecting whites in numerous incidents across the country do not reflect AT ALL on the black community and culture.

Got it. Time to get armed.
Waiting in line is an act of faith in plentitude; most times you simply believe there will be what you want when you get there. I've lived in San Diego for about twenty years and have noticed while shopping that there is a higher frequency of Mexican individuals who are less likely to patiently wait their turn compared to other ethnic groups, and I think less faith in plentitude is the key here.

I think we Americans sometimes take plentitude for granted. But given recent events (::cough:: healthcare ::cough::), this may change.
Not only that, I don't have to disarm myself to visit UPS. That's why they get as much of my business as possible.
I haven't physically been inside a post office in a decade. Due simply to the number of highly effective mail handling companies that sprouted up to deal with everything from USPS to the private express carriers for what amounts to a tiny fee. They do it quickly, professionally, and effectively.

Hence, waiting in line is for people who are too stupid to have figured this out, regardless of what color their skin is.

Got it. Time to get armed.
I've seen many black persons try to jump to the front of lines--in front of other black people.
As if stopping by a UPS store or private mail/office store is out of the reach of the little people.

In my zip code, there is a UPS store on the other side of the street from the post office. Yet, in an age where you can buy postage online and dump your package off, or go to a UPS store and ship your crap USPS, numbskulls prefer to stand in line, waiting for the placid gubmint functionary to get around to helping them.