VodkaPundit

When Worlds Collide

October 8th, 2013 - 3:16 pm

One of those worlds is ObamaCare. The other world is a little place we like to call reality. Amy Otto explains:

OTTO

Affordable — they keep using that word.

And of course Amy discovered that her less-affordable plan is even less less affordable, because in addition to higher premiums, it also comes with higher copays and a higher deductible.

Go read the whole thing, because Amy has done some impressive, if distressing, research on just how badly we’ve been screwed.

"just how badly we’ve been screwed."

The most important thing is Sandra Flukes can screw with free condoms.
I've actually benefited from the "Affordable" care act. I'm retired military, but my spouse wasn't really happy with military medicine or TRICARE, so I was paying about $400 a month for our company's PPO health plan. Then Obamacare started to rear its ugly head, and insurance premiums jumped up. MUCH higher premiums, with worse care. So we signed up for a TRICARE supplement plan from MOAA, and we're saving about $200 a month.

Finally, I begin to believe that my military service is paying off in retirement!
So you benefitted from ACA how ? By being forced out of a plan you were not happy with but your spouse preferred?
Think that's expensive? Try going from a pretty good self-insured plan to a small business plan.

Protip: Bring lube.
I've decided they call it the Affordable Care Act because you have no choice but to afford whatever they care to give you.
Based on previous, real world, experience. I'd be much better off doing what I've been doing for years back when I didn't have coverage. Put 15-20% of all income into savings. Then, writing a check for those times I needed to goto a doctor. Or setting up an installment plan w/ the hospital and offering myself as a teaching aid for that time I had to have surgery.

I guess doing that is a felony now.
C'mon, the Enabling Act of 2013 is a world-uniting advancement in human progress. No price is too great to bear.
Frankly, given what I had to pay for COBRA the last time I was unemployed, these aren't horrible rates. And my deductible was horrifying.

I'll have to dig into the details more.
$1000 a month? OK, I'm single with no kids so there is a difference. But let's see: I get paid every two weeks my paycheck shows $26.71 for my contribution. Employer shows $151.35.

So I pay $53.42, employer 302.70. Now if my employer stopped coverage - and I seriously doubt it give the entire $302.70 (ignoring the income tax for the moment) I'd have to find an exchange plan (silver level) for $356.12 a month. There's no way I could afford that without a substantial raise.