VodkaPundit

DEATH to SHIELD

September 24th, 2013 - 2:28 pm

Loved The Avengers. Loved, loved, loved that movie. After one viewing it was added to our short & selective Go-To Movies playlist in Ye Olde iTunes Movie Library. The wife loves it, the kids love it, and I think the dog even loves it.

That’s why I’m pretending the new Avengers spin-off TV show, Agents of SHIELD, doesn’t even exist. The reason? They brought back Agent Phil Coulson. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great character and Clark Gregg plays him with just the right mix of authority and humanity. But Coulson died for a reason in the movie. His death meant something. Only by a beloved character getting stabbed-through-the-chest dead was Nick Fury able to forge his dysfunctional group of feuding heroes into a team.

Take that away, and you take away what made The Avengers something more than just popcorn fare. Coulson’s death didn’t just galvanize the heroes; it galvanized the audience.

Yes, I know comic books bring back characters from the dead all the time. But you’re talking about decades-old franchises in need of freshening up every now then. The Avengers is a movie that came out just last year — it still has that new franchise smell. It needs freshening up like I need water in my brandy glass at bedtime. What the hell good did that ever do anybody?

So it doesn’t matter to me how compelling of a backstory Joss Whedon & Co. come up with to explain Coulson’s return, or how much success I wish for Gregg. I’m not going to watch this show, period.

Bring Coulson back for the inevitable reboot, please. But he fell a hero, and that’s how we should remember him.

Stephen, you may want to re-think this series. Just watched the pilot, and was very pleasantly entertained. It was, as I anticipated, pure Whedon.

Which is to say, it had beautiful women who kick ass, quirky yet brilliant characters, and a lot of mystery. Tons of mystery. Not to mention a group who just can't seem to get along.

I was right, the line is that Coulson's death was faked, but there are hints of things he "must never learn." There's a legendary veteran insisting she's "retired," as well as an adorable female hacker who (nearly) talks her way out of anything.

Best of all, SHEPHERD BOOK IS BACK! Ok, just Ron Glass, who plays a sarcastically acerbic doctor in the pilot. I hope he returns for the series.

There's action, humor, pathos, drama, and (as I said) lots o' mystery. Not to mention Lola. Lola was one of the sexiest features of the show.

I expected -from the trailer- that the mystery hero would be Luke Cage, but (alas) that wasn't him.

Watch it. No, really.
Coulson couldn't die, because he's The Vision. Haven't you been keeping up with your fanboi theories?
Coulson was the original Human Torch too? Wow, deep cover.
Just seeing the names on the opening credits, Joss and Jed and Maurissa, the team that gave us Dr. Horrible (A personal inspiration of mine), makes me think that you're really just depriving yourself.

So they claim Nick Fury faked Coulson's death. Hell, in the movie he faked Coulson's blood on the trading cards. The plot threads are there already. Same writer, producer, director. There's no ret-con involved.
Confirmed, you're really depriving yourself. (And there's a hint that the first explanation for what happened might not be true, it's probably a long-running theme through the show). It was awesome, great humor, good action, ties in with the rest of the movies....
A) I SO predicted that downstream!! LoL.

B) Problematic cover stories, things not what they seem, long-running themes? It's a Whedon production, all right.
Marvel has been using Coulson on their new Spiderman cartoon for a couple of seasons now and they didn't even touch the resurrection angle. Coulson never died there, maybe they can't pull it off on a live action show. But the tv/movie/cartoon/comic adaptations have always ignored ignored each other when needed by the writers. Marvel and DC both do it.
I am wary of the inevitable liberal sucker punch. Especially since Avengers was rated a conservative friendly flick.
I for one am not too worried about that prospect. Joss Whedon may talk like all the other Hollywood morons, but taps into a deeper well of wisdom and tradition when he writes. As with some other artists (the novelist Alison Lurie comes to mind), his work is wiser than he is. I give you Firefly and Angel as examples.
Coulson never died. It was another "push" for the team, just like Fury's legerdemain with the cards.

It could happen. :)

Saw the original promo for the show, and am looking forward to it. Also cant wait to catch "The Blacklist."
The Death Wish to S.H.I.E.L.D. will be granted because even The Avengers, as with the other MARVEL movies, gave little credit to Jack "King" Kirby.
I'll take that complaint seriously after the TMNT authors give credit to Chris Claremont, John Byrne, and Frank Miller... :)
Eastman and Laird have never been shy in admitting that the original TMNT books were a direct take off on Daredevil, to the point that the radioactive goop that created them was from the same incident that blinded Matt Murdock.

They were spoofing X-Men as much as Daredevil; where did you think the "teen-aged" and "mutant" came from? :)
Steve, I don't disagree w/ any particular point (/Zoe), I have much greater faith in Joss than either you or Nukemhill. He has a good track record of killing off characters but and equally good record of doing stuff that, for any other writer, would be shark jumping on a nuked fridge lame.

I'll point to "Objects in Space" ep of Firefly when River claimed she was Serenity and the audience completely went along with it. Or when he turned Angel back into Angelus. Then did a Bobby Ewing to get outta it. Yet it was logical, unexpected and kinda cool in it's execution anyway.

I have faith in Joss. He hasn't let me down yet. Don't expect the Coulson issue will either.
Of course, given that it is a Joss Whedon TV production, it'll probably end up being fantastic ...

... and killed off by ABC after the first season.
*snort* 13 eps and out.
Life Model Decoy. SHIELD. De Riguer. I guess that last year. Plus, Coulson is awesome AND my grandmother's maiden name. :)
1 2 Next View All