VodkaPundit

Bill Gates: Frustrated

May 7th, 2013 - 12:46 pm

Bill Gates on the iPad:

Bill Gates took to CNBC today to pitch Microsoft’s line of Surface tablets, and he had some choice words for Apple’s iPad and similar tablets. “A lot of those users are frustrated,” said Gates. “They can’t type, they can’t create documents, they don’t have Office there.”

Uh-huh. Apple has sold more iPads since their introduction in 2010, than Microsoft has sold Tablet PC licenses since 2002. By a factor of ten. Or maybe 100. Could be 1,000. Nobody can really say, because nobody has ever really bought very many.

So Microsoft re-thunked up its tablet strategy, and introduced the Surface RT and the Surface Pro with Windows 8 for Finger, Stylus, Keyboard, Trackpad, and Mouse. But nobody bought those, either. Microsoft has shipped a few million to retailers since last fall, and perhaps sold a million to actual users — or about what Apple sells on the first day or three after they bring out a new iPad.

Tell me again now: Who is frustrated?

Bill is a bit behind the curve,over on Drudge report there is a link to the Financial Times with further links to multiple sources saying that Microsoft is redoing Windows 8 so it looks like the speculation about Windows 8.1 is coming true.
I liked the comment about they hadn't seen this big of product intro since New Coke but at least Coke listened to their customers and corrected after 3 months.
Gates is assuming the majority of tablet owners are replacing a desktop/laptop, which isn't true. Most tablet owners I know use it as a supplement or primarily as a media consuming device first, communication device second, work tool third.

Second, Windows 8 and Windows tablet UI requires some getting used to, unlike iOS and Android. As one person described it: "If Win8 was used in your car, it would have replaced all the instruments with big colorful buttons, and the one in the center is the left turn signal."
Exaclty. My iPad has replaced my laptop as an on-the-go consumption device. If I have to do work while out, it can. But for serious work, I'm not giving up my desktop w/ a minimum of of two 21" screens.
Agreed. They're a supplement. And a luxury one at that. My smartphone can nearly do everything that a tablet can do, just on a smaller screen.

Also, if people were frustrated with their iPads and Android tablets, wouldn't the Surface tablet be gaining market share by leaps and bounds?
I'm a fan of Metro on Windows Phone, so I really wanted to like Windows 8.

But -- dear Lord! -- is it an unusable kludge.
I can post to my blog from my Android tablet and edit a Google document on my iPhone. Gates is still stuck in a mindset that demands big resident applications.

I was skeptical of the "network computer" concept when it was floated 15 years or so ago, and of cloud applications more recently, but I've seen that they work and I'm along for the ride.

I'd ask what Gates' excuse is, but I don't have to; I've used IE 6.