VodkaPundit

SimCity Attacked by Zombie Servers

March 11th, 2013 - 5:33 am

EA says, “Don’t like our crappy game you can’t play? We’ll let you have another one just like it.” Really:

Electronic Arts on Friday admitted that it was “dumb” not to realize how many people would sign on to play SimCity, and offered up a free game to players “for your trouble.”

The company is offering a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. SimCity players who have activated their game will get an email on March 18 with details about how to redeem their free game.

“I know that’s a little contrived – kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened,” Lucy Bradshaw, general manager of EA’s Maxis Label, wrote in a blog post. “We’re hoping you won’t stay mad and that we’ll be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent.”

The trouble began Tuesday, when SimCity returned after a 10-year hiatus. The game requires that players be connected to the Internet to play, however, and EA’s servers were quickly overloaded. EA refused to issue refunds to those who purchased digital downloads, so players simply have to wait until EA figures out its capacity problem.

Color me unsurprised.

Yet another reason to hate "have to be connected to the internet" games.
It's a shame that EA borked the game as badly as they did. I was able to get through to the servers so I could play single-player over the weekend, and I like the visuals of the game. Unfortunately, the game is still broken: intercity trade does not seem to work, or work consistently. It would be nice if there were an actual manual that explains how that would work, so we as players didn't have to waste time making blind guesses.

Overall, if there's no effort to fix the game's single player experience, this is likely the last Maxis game I will buy. Which is a shame, because I've bought just about everything they've released up until they focused on their "The Sims" franchise in recent years.
My wife plays The Sims and has a ton of expansion packs. It's also incredibly frustrating. She'll invest untold hours into building homes and families and such. There is no auto-save and the game crashes often - on a computer with fairly good specs, no less. Also, the save takes so long that if you're unlucky enough to have a crash in the middle of that - game corrupted. The end. After the last time, I don't think she's bothered to play anymore and I don't blame her.