The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

May 23, 2014 - 8:22 am

For record, I stopped being a Dallas Mavericks fan when their owner, Mark Cuban, bankrolled the movie Redacted. That movie smears American troops fighting the war against jihadists. Mark Cuban chose his side. I chose mine. To the extent that I’m a fan of any NBA team now, I go with the San Antonio Spurs. They have a team ethic and their owner is a veteran. I’m sure Cuban’s heart just aches to hear that the Mavs lost a single fan over his flop of a movie.

That said, Cuban is coming under unfair criticism for being “bigoted.” It’s his own fault, since he misused the word “bigoted” to describe something that is not an example of bigotry. Mark Cuban may be a billionaire, but he isn’t as smart as he thinks he is.

“I know I’m prejudiced, and I know I’m bigoted in a lot of different ways,” Cuban said in an interview shown at the annual GrowCo convention hosted by Inc.magazine, according to The Tennessean.

“If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I’ll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I’ll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses.”

That is neither prejudice nor bigotry. Bigotry is hating a whole class of people because of some defining characteristic. If Cuban said that he avoids all black people, that would be bigotry. Every day we see leftists proudly proclaim their hatred for Christians. That is bigotry. Prejudice is pre-judging people based on something other than experience. Cuban isn’t guilty of that. Clothes make the man, so they say, and so does a face full of tattoos.

Cuban’s comments betray nothing more than common sense. In his inarticulate way, Cuban said that when he sees someone who gives off the trouble vibe, he avoids them. Who doesn’t do that? A fool, that’s who. Cuban echoes a controversial comment made years ago by none other than Jesse Jackson, when he said, “There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” Fearing robbery =/= racism. Knowing crime statistics and probabilities =/= racism.

Did I just defend Mark Cuban and Jesse Jackson in the same post? I suppose so.

Oh but it was insensitive to poor little Trayvon's family, doncha know?
The PC are liars when it comes to this stuff, including the black ones. They're not living in black neighborhoods or sending their kids to black schools any more than so-call racist conservatives. This is all a big con game. Watch feet, not lips. Feet never lie. They tell the truth. And the truth is non-whites are risking their lives to enter America and richer blacks and libs stay as far from black neighborhoods and black nations as they possibly can. And any giant trend of emigrating out of America? Surprise! No.
Also, it's not "judgmental" to dislike someone because of a specific choice that they made. Smear the troops, I don't like you. Simple as that. Leave veterans to die on waiting lists, I don't like you. Simple as that.
"Every day we see leftists proudly proclaim their hatred for Christians. That is bigotry."

Bill Maher is such an one. I do have to say, though, that I wake each day with an intention to avoid seeing Bill Maher by any means necessary. I thank you, Bryan, for seeing him, if you do, for me.
Any sensible person profiles and uses common sense. The PCers among us are just making another error which may result in lives lost or physical trouble.
I guarantee you they profile. They just don't cop to it.

Would I "move to the other side of the street?" I don't know, but I might release the thumb restraint on my holster.
Yes because we all "know" that black kids with hoodies are immediately classifiable as "dangerous", because they're wearing a hoodie - but mostly because they're black. And we all "know" that all black teenagers are criminals. They have some sort of "crime gene", or something. And besides some black teenager on the other side of the country, committed some type of crime, so that makes ALL black male teenagers suspect.

As for white guys with shaved heads and tattoos; you do know their are TV shows where men and women compete to see how can ink the best tattoo. Tattoos are only for bikers and cons anymore.

Well, whaddaya' know? ESPN's Stephen Smith is defending Cuban, and he's receiving a lot of flak for it.

Scroll down for the video.

Cuban gets a pass, because unlike Sterling he doesn't have a history of racial bigotry.
I don't know about his history, but there's nothing racist in his current comment.

Any sensible person uses his/her thought processes for self preservation. To do otherwise is extremely foolish. I have heard of some of the stupid things Mr. Cuban has said or done. He has not shown much common sense and one wonders how he is able to hang on to his vast wealth. However having common sense does not seem to be a precursor to making money.
I won't even live in a city with thugs in hoodies.
So, I take it you aren't a New England Patriot fan, because they always have that thug in a hoodie on the sidelines.
Being judgmental it's not a bad thing. Only a fool isn't judgmental. I am judgmental as hell and I'm proud of my ability to judge character. I am also proud of my ability to revise my initial judgement when I observe evidence to the contrary. Only a fool maintains a judgment that is contradicted by evidence.

People try to use the Bible's Matthew 7:1 "Judge not least ye be judged" as an admonition against being judgmental under all circumstances, but it's not, it's an admonition against being a hypocrite as in 7:3-5 where Matthew asks how can you point out the speck in your brother's eye and ignore the plank in your own eye? Remove the plank from your own eye so that you can see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

There is no admonition against being judgmental when the judgment is righteous and a judgment is righteous when you're not guilty of doing the same thing and the judgment is based on evidence. This doesn't mean that you will never misuse someone
I accidentally posted the above from my phone before I was finished editing out the auto correct and now it won't let me edit the comment to finish the thought. The last sentence should have read "This doesn't mean that you will never misjudge someone, but when you do, you should ask that person's forgiveness and if they choose not to forgive you should accept their judgment of you.
But... but... but... he's PROFILING!!!!

(Yes, he is. And so are you. As our host points out, it's called "common sense". Anyone with a survival instinct learns that, sometimes, you must reach life-and-death conclusions based on incomplete data.)

As an aside: there is nothing easier than making up motives for someone else. You didn't just say something snarky because it was appropriate; you said it because I am (insert Permanent Victim minority group here). It's a childish and cowardly tactic, as inappropriate in a mature discussion as a child making horrible faces and saying "this is you!".

There do exist accusations of racism that do NOT fall into this category. But they're few and far between these days.
The violent crime rate among young black males is a staggering 14 times that of young white males. That is not a misprint. It’s not 14% more, it’s 14 times. To recognize this is not racism, it’s having a brain and a clue. And it is not the fault of white people, it’s the fault of black people.
Considering the population difference, if 2 black males committed a crime and one white, the black crime be "fourteen times the white crime rate". To quote a famous white guy - Mark Twain - "There are lies. There are damnable lies. And then there are statistics".
Be careful, Mike. Your racism is showing.
Therefore, the addition of the word "hoodie" was unnecessary. Common sense tells a rational person that ANY pack of young males hanging around in any kind of a neighborhood is dangerous. If it's a bad neighborhood, the danger mounts. And if the young males are black, only a damned fool would ignore the danger.

You don't even need common sense, just the survival instinct that every human possesses.

But so Orwellian are the times we live in, that no person can utter the words that are as true as any words can be.
Cuban's the Jeremiah Johnson of the NBA. Drop him into a valley on the moon and he'll survive just fine. A very rare man nowadays.
Gee, I don't know about that, Fail. Johnson led an especially bad life, eating squirrel all the time, Native Americans always out to scalp and kill him, if the movie is any evidence. (BTW which came first the scalping or the killing?)
1 2 Next View All