The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

April 23, 2014 - 3:56 pm

When I’m watching late night talk shows, it’s generally Conan or Jimmy Kimmel. Fallon strikes me as lazy but he’s growing on me.

I caught last night’s Late Night with Seth Meyers show and, frankly, I wish I hadn’t. He’s terrible.

He should’ve lost me with the monologue, which was full of weak obviousness. He led with an Earth Day joke in which a guy scolded him about throwing away a banana peel.

Banana peels are biodegradable, but whatever. He did a joke about AOL, meatballs, the shrinking middle class, and a bunch of other totally forgettable one-liners. I challenge you to laugh at just one of his monologue jokes.

He did some canned bit about 1980s NFL pencils. I used to have several of those pencils, so I could identify with collecting them when you were a kid. But the bit was just bad.

He did a “Deep Google” bit which could’ve very been funny, but wasn’t funny at all. It came off as embarrassingly contrived. Maybe that’s his schtick?

He did a bit in which he got romantic with planet earth because of Earth Day. It was awful. Painfully unfunny. Here, watch it if you want to, but it’s 3:30 you’ll never get back.

Then he had Sofia Vergara on. She can light up a black hole, but Meyers’ segment with her — bad. No chemistry.

Then he had Natalie Dormer on. She’s on Game of Thrones and is now filming the next Hunger Games movie. Dormer has been on everything, from The Tudors to Elementary and now the most talked-about show on earth.

Meyers mostly talked with her about running.

So, Meyers had two gorgeous actresses who are at the top of their games on his set, one right after the other, and he still managed to not be very interesting. The show would have flowed better if he had been cut out of both of those interviews entirely.

I didn’t stick around after the Dormer interview.

There was a reason why I turned off my DISH and now only stream movies on my Roku ... oh yes, this.

Straight up.

Off the grid is looking better and better every day.
Seth Meyers is the most boring talk show host I've ever seen in my life. He's not funny. He has no chemistry with his guests. He has some dry humor but very dry. Aren't talk shows supposed to be witty and quick with their words? His words often KILL the conversation because his responses are boring. They could put a Siri up there and I think Siri could be funnier and more interesting. He sounds robotic enough doesn't he? "Hi, what is your name. Where are you from? What do you do? Nice to meet you. HAHA. Let's laugh at joke. It is funny. You go now. Bye." (in my robotic voice). I've read a few articles that say he's pretty amazing. Where do they get this from? I used to think Jay Leno was a little bland but compared to Seth Meyers, Jay Leno is actually very quick and witty and he can drop a punch lines on the fly. Has Seth Myers ever dropped a punch line yet? Can you ever drum roll "ba-dum-tshh" to any of his lines? I don't think you can. That's how bad he is. If he can't drop "ba-dum-tshh" on any of his shows then he's not a good talk show host. Even Jimmy Kimmel can drop a punch line. NBC is feeding him so many good guests. They're basically carrying the show for him with so many A-list stars. He just sits there doing his normal boring routine every night. His openers are coming back to me and they are so HORRIBLE! I think he's just great at reading other people's comedy, but his delivery blows. Isn't that what he did on SNL? He just read the funny stuff, right? He never did anything funny himself. I wonder why? Because he can't ACT. He can't get out of his robotic shell and put on a show. He's just a robot who sits in one place and reads stuff.
Come now, Bryan! I'm sure Seth will be as successful as the first SNL alumnus to host a talk show.
Oh. My.

And he got paid for that? =:O

His writers gave him some workable material. He just has no clue how to deliver it.

I have a son who fancies himself a comedian. I keep telling him to keep his day job. One thing I have tried to get across to him, which he has finally learned, is this: "A joke explained is a joke ruined."

Someone needs to explain that to this guy.

Tina Faye brought up the quality of SNL’s comedy, but she also drastically narrowed the show’s focus…more sharply written, but targeted much more toward urban, white, progressive women. Seth Meyers kept the same focus when he took over. Unlike Faye, I think that’s the only kind of comedy he can do and it doesn’t work on a talk show that’s supposed to have broader appeal.
Wait a minute, so Sofia Vergara and Natalie Dormer were BOTH on the same show, and the host made it boring?
Come on Meyers, have them both come out and just talk to each other for 60 minutes. Now that would be a ratings winner.
Oh, they gave the "Family Guy" guy a late-night talk show?

What? Wrong Seth? How the @#$!! many Seths are there on TV these days!!??
No clue who he is. If I've ever seen him, I couldn't say.
Get off my lawn!
You are funnier than he is.
I realized when I checked out the video that I have no idea who this person is and you're right, he's not funny.
Seth who?
That's really interesting. Who are you talking about?
1 2 Next View All