The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

April 10, 2014 - 9:21 am

It’s an odd choice, but CBS has made it official: Stephen Colbert will replace David Letterman as host of The Late Show once Letterman retires.

I say it’s an odd choice because Colbert plays a character on his Comedy Central show. He’s parodying Bill O’Reilly. Does he bring that schtick to a full talk show at CBS, or does he leave it behind and re-invent himself?

The safe bet would be to stick with what brought him success so far, but the safe bet would not have been to bring Colbert to The Late Show in the first place. Craig Ferguson would have made a good replacement, as he already has a talk show on CBS. He just would have had to move forward an hour, and probably polish up a thing or two. His show carries forward with the wackiness that Letterman had, a long time ago.

Colbert…I don’t know.

The problem with Craig is that he's a Scotsman who became an American citizen -- and is proud to be an American.
Cannot stay up that late; have to get up early to go to work and pay taxes.
Somebody I don't like to watch is going to be replaced by somebody I won't like to watch. Letterman sometimes has a bit I like and I imagine Colbert would too but too little to put up with the rest of their baggage.
I'm kinda liking Jimmy Fallon's monologues and his Thank You notes. I rarely watch him with guests, though.
Who watches this stuff? Life is short don't waste it.

Though I wish Todd Plain would invite Dave to go hunting and lose him somewhere in the wilds of Alaska. Maybe a reality show called Todd and Dave Go Hunting. That I would watch!
Wish I had a downward arrow on my iPad keyboard to point where CBS's late nite ratings are heading. Toilet, sewer, cesspool, landfill, slit-trench, latrine come to mind.

Jimmy Fallon must be pretty damn happy right about now.
Well, I didn't watch Letterman or any late night show; I don't watch Colbert or Stewart; so no real loss one way or the other. Although I suspect he'll provide plenty of fodder for PJ Media and Instapundit!
Please tell me this is a news report from The Onion.

One Trackback to “CBS Reveals that Stephen Colbert Will Replace Letterman”