The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

April 9, 2014 - 2:43 pm

Emails released today by the House Government Oversight and Reform Committee show that Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) has some explaining to do. The emails show that Cummings and the IRS were asking for nearly identical information from election integrity watchdog True the Vote. Further, the emails show communication as Lerner was feeding information to Cummings and his staff.

The communication occurred in 2012, before the public was ever aware of the ongoing and widespread IRS abuse of Tea Party and conservative groups. In a press release detailing the newly delivered emails, committee Chairman Darrell Issa asks Cummings to answer for himself.

“Although you have previously denied that your staff made inquiries to the IRS about conservative organization True the Vote that may have led to additional agency scrutiny, communication records between your staff and IRS officials – which you did not disclose to Majority Members or staff – indicates otherwise,” wrote the Chairman and five Subcommittee Chairmen of the Oversight Committee.  “As the Committee is scheduled to consider a resolution holding Ms. Lerner, a participant in responding to your communications that you failed to disclose, in contempt of Congress, you have an obligation to fully explain your staff’s undisclosed contacts with the IRS.”

Cummings has stonewalled the investigation throughout, while President Obama has claimed that there wasn’t even a “smidgen of corruption” in it.

The communication between Lerner and Cummings and his staff shows that the IRS and Cummings made numerous requests for virtually identical information from True the Vote, the Houston-based group dedicated to improving election integrity and rooting out election fraud. That Cummings and the IRS sought nearly identical information raises the strong probability of collusion between the government agency and the Democrats on the House Government Oversight and Reform Committee.

• Five days after Cummings contacted True the Vote seeking “copies of all training materials used for volunteers, affiliates, or other entities,” the IRS sent True the Vote a letter requesting True the Vote provide “a copy of [True the Vote’s] volunteer registration form,” “…the process you use to assign volunteers,” “how you keep your volunteers in teams,” and “how your volunteers are deployed … following the training they receive by you.”
  • On or before January 25, 2013, Cummings’ staff requested more information from the IRS about True the Vote.  The head of the IRS Legislative Affairs office e-mailed several IRS officials, including former Exempt Organizations Director Lois Lerner, that “House Oversight Committee Minority staff” sought information about True the Vote.  On Monday, January 28, Lerner wrote to her deputy Holly Paz: “Did we find anything?”  When Paz informed her minutes later that she had not heard back about True the Vote’s information, Lerner replied: “thanks – check tomorrow please.”
  • On January 31, 2013, Paz attached True the Vote’s form 990s, which she authorized the IRS to share with the Minority staff.  Neither Cummings nor the IRS shared these requested documents with the Oversight Majority.  None of the Minority’s communications about True the Vote with the IRS were shared with the Committee Majority even though Ranking Member Cummings frequently complains about the Committee Majority contacting individuals on official matters without the involvement of Minority staff.
  • Cummings denied that his staff, “might have been involved in putting True the Vote on the radar screen of some of these Federal agencies” at a February 6, 2014, Subcommittee hearing:

Ms. Mitchell:                      We want to get to the bottom of how these coincidences happened, and we’re going to try to figure out whether any – if there was any staff of this committee that might have been involved in putting True the Vote on the radar screen of some of these Federal agencies.  We don’t know that, but we – we’re going to do everything we can do to try to get to the bottom of how did this all happen.

Mr. Cummings.                 Will the gentleman yield?

Mr. Meadows.                                Yes.

Mr. Cummings.                 I want to thank the gentleman for his courtesy.  What she just said is absolutely incorrect and not true.

Did Rep. Cummings lie during the committee hearings?

Update: True the Vote president Catherine Engelbrecht reacts in a press statement:

“Elijah Cummings has blocked the IRS abuse investigation all along. We now see clearly that two branches of government have colluded to target and silence private citizens.

“America has come to a tipping point,” Engelbrecht said. “No more lies. No more cover-ups. No more collusion. Enough is enough. Finally, we have a chance for the rule of law to be re-established, thanks to the bold efforts of Chairman Issa and Rep. Jordan.”

Engelbrecht added, “We filed an ethics complaint against Rep. Cummings in February. Today we’re amending that filing to include this latest revelation. As I have said in my testimony before Congress; I will not retreat, I will not surrender, I will not be intimidated. I will not ask Rep. Cummings, Lois Lerner, Barack Obama, or anyone else, for permission to exercise my constitutional rights.”

This broad has balls!!
Maybe she can loan them to the GOP.
"As I have said in my testimony before Congress; I will not retreat, I will not surrender, I will not be intimidated. I will not ask Rep. Cummings, Lois Lerner, Barack Obama, or anyone else, for permission to exercise my constitutional rights.” ~~ Catherine Engelbrecht, American Citizen

You GO girl !!!
The smidgens are coming home to roost.
I remember Elijah Cummings quite well from senior high school (Baltimore--1969). He was always the consummate self-promoter; little seems to have changed. He staged that ridiculous scene earlier with Issa because he sensed the walls are closing in on Obama's thugs at the IRS --- hardly a "phony scandal" or "smidgen". If the media were even quasi-balanced, heads would be rolling all over D.C. by now.
now we know why he was attacking the committee. Just looking to cover his ample buttocks.
It would be nice to think this story would get traction in BM. It would be nice if everyone had a nice warm puppy and a big ol milkshake.
I am shocked, SHOCKED to find out that a Democrat would stoop to such a thing!
I've always felt that my vote was being cancelled by a libtard, but who would have known that it was a dead libtard.
The Democrat Party's most reliable constituencies: illegal aliens, convicted felons, deadbeats and the dead.
Bring in Al"Fat Rat" Sharpton,looks like he'd snitch on Lerner.Holder,Da Maobama,and the rest of those slime balls.
The hearings themselves might not yield the smoking gun, but when the probes get close to the truth, the regime squeals!

A month ago Cummings squealed at Issa. Now we see why.

Yesterday Holder squealed. Could there be momentum as the truth will out?
It's truly insane that our country is letting this administration get away with not appointing an independent counsel.
I expect that if they did appoint an "independent" counsel, it would be one who donated to Obama's campaign anyway.

Not even a smidgeon of corruption!
It IS insane, but you and millions like you had sixty years to pull the plug on these thugs and did nothing...quite the contrary, most jumped on the band wagon as long as their own ox wasn't gored.
If you think the IRS is the problem, you completely misunderstand the issue.
Maybe not "the" problem, but certaininly "a" problem.

Eric Holder is "the" problem.
I hear the sound
Of the drumbeat drummings
I see the fury
Of the goings and cummings

But, what I see

And all we did
The hard fought gains
The tyrants rid

Our children now
Feet in the shallows
Cannot be saved
Unless we fill the gallows
As the man said: transform America.
People just didn't listen
So what are we going to do about it? We talk about "tipping points" and "bombshells", but what will actually happen? What is the GOP capable and willing to do? Write letters? Offer pinched, constipated denunications on "Meet the Press"? Wait for the media to do its job? The more these stories congeal into a mass of atomic destruction for Obama, the more furiously the media works to diffuse the mass and defuse the trigger. Yet still the GOP waits for the day that will never come.

I have yet to see, and have very nearly given up hope of seeing, one GOP politician put together a devastating petition against Obama. Issa will write a sharp letter. Cruz will make some cracks at a fundraiser. Palin will write a quippy facebook post. Gowdy will fulminate impotently on Greta. But what will happen?
The question is, what will _you_ do?

We cannot sit and wait for others to reclaim our liberty.

Sheep, or sheep dog?

The wolves have already been unleashed for quite some time.
>>"The question is, what will _you_ do?"

Not the question I'm asking. What will those who have chosen and are privileged to represent our interests do.
You yourself said, "I...have very nearly given up hope of seeing one GOP politician put together a devastating petition..."

Freedom doesn't come from people asking "Where is my rescuer?"

It comes from people who love freedom, and who are willing to take action. So, are you willing to take action?

Sarah Palin is willing, and should be supported.
Issa is willing, and should be supported.
James O'Keefe is willing, and should be supported.
TrueTheVote is willing, and should be supported.
Your local non-establishment tea party candidates are willing, and should be supported.
Mark Levin and The Convention of American States are willing, and should be supported.

By You.
I'm not sure why you want to personalize it. What I do and who I support is not my point. Right now we have a set of elected representatives charged with representing us and fighting on our behalf. I don't have the influence or power commensurate with theirs. That's just reality. It's not a matter of being "rescued," but of demanding that these elected leaders do their jobs, i.e., lead, and fight for our interests. They are not doing so, at least not close to the extent required. That's my only point. My (or our) fight for freedom as citizens is obviously important but represents another context of the fight; the one in Washington is my point.
"I'm not sure why you want to personalize it.

Because it IS personal. If YOU personally won't do anything, and most other Americans are like you, then nothing will be done.

What I do and who I support is not my point. "

It's the only point that matters.

Mark v and rrpjr; you both voice some of my thoughts on the difficulty in making any difference. We can give money, sign petitions, write letters, etc., etc. Bottom line; until the media gets the truth about everything into the face of the ignorant masses, not enough people will care enough to pay attention. Everything is politics these days but "the average voter" is more concerned about dish vs cable.
1 2 3 Next View All