The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

March 20, 2014 - 7:40 am

Just so we all understand the rules now, you can’t slut-shame, and you can’t fat-shame. But you can hot-shame.

In her first workout since being injured in a car accident, Tiffany Austin said she couldn’t wait to get back on the treadmill.

But barely 15 minutes into her walking exercise, she noticed people staring. Then a member of the Planet Fitness staff approached and told her to cover up because she was intimidating others in the facility.

Planet Fitness. They’re the gym chain built around the idea that people want to belong to gyms, but don’t actually want to use gyms to get in shape. They just want to go around saying “Yeah, I have a gym membership” to impress their friends. Planet Fitness is the “no lunkheads” gym that ships in pizza once a week. Because pizza is such a fitness food.

Austin, who said she’d just joined the Richmond, Calif., gym, agreed to put a shirt over her halter top. But she drew the line when a second worker called her out as she waited for the first employee to bring her shirt.

That staffer said “excuse me, we’ve had some complaints you’re intimidating people with your toned body,” Austin quoted the woman as saying KTVU-TV reported.

See Austin and her outfit on the next page. Most people would welcome her method of intimidation.

This is all too close to Vonnegut's short story, "Harrison Bergeron" where the government had a handicapper general who made sure smart, athletic and attractive people didn't have an unfair advantage over the dull witted, ugly and uncoordinated. Look for pending legislative amendments to the ADA.
Oh, please. My gym has 15 people better looking than her in before 6 a.m. Wonder what the true story is??
Holy crap! That's awful...

Welcome to "redistribution of self esteem"
Or, they told her to put her shirt on, per gym rules, and did it in a nice way.
She's *not* hot in any way. I wouldn't look at here even once. Not even a passing glance, most *certainly* not a look-around.

This falls either under "even bad publicity is good publicity", the ones doing the bitching are pigs or just plain stupidity.

I vote for the last two.
She's "hot" only in a society that has been badly warped by Hollyweird and the fashion industry.

They could probably save themselves a lot of time by just putting up a sign that says "Liberal Democrats Only".
Count me with those who think the real complaint here was immodesty. The staff probably didn't feel comfortable saying that, so they tried to spin it so she wouldn't get upset - "You're just too hot for these workout clothes." I'm guessing her sports bra was too loose or too small.

"excuse me, we’ve had some complaints you’re intimidating people with your toned body" sounds like a pickup line.
What is it about "a company policy that bans “gymtimidation.”" that's so hard to understand?
Um, what?
There is no "immodesty", how can that outfit be even remotely immodest? The company clearly states that they ban "gymtimidation", which can range from dressing in workout clothes that show your shape to grunting too loud when you lift weights.

The quotes are directly below this post.
Was Vonnegut the first to do that? I remember a different classic short story (unable to find it online; might be in a short-short story collection) where children where tested for intelligence, and one child's parents were informed that their child had tested above average, followed by, "His ashes are enclosed".
From another article about the incident:

"Planet Fitness has 5 million members and a company policy that bans “gymtimidation.”

According to the company website:

“We at Planet Fitness are here to provide a unique environment in which anyone -- and we mean anyone -- can be comfortable. A diverse, Judgement Free Zone® where a lasting, active lifestyle can be built. Our product is a tool, a means to an end; not a brand name or a mold-maker, but a tool that can be used by anyone. In the end, it’s all about you.”

A spokesperson from the Planet Fitness corporate office said the company "strives to make everyone feel comfortable" but that the staff and manager can evaluate the dress code at their own discretion."
__________________________________

Always helps to look into the situation before jumping to conclusions.
Planet Kitten says they are a "judgment free zone", yet judge someone for showing off a fit body. The conclusion that I jump to is that they are fitness fascists, and the people who complain are whiny little children who take no responsibility for their feelings. Just like democrats.
They found her intimidating? I shudder to think what the average Planet Fitness member must look like then.

Given, I'm in Southern California but every gym I've seen the inside of had Amazons who are REALLY intimidating, as in she might accidentally hurt you physically, not just damage your self-esteem. I've never been in good shape but so long as I can force myself to go inside, the presence of far more fit people has never stopped me from doing my workout.
Half the gyms in Los Angeles, you have to be in better shape than that to get in.
Yeah, this is what we call a humblebrag.
"Wow is me...people hate me because they are jealous"
1 2 3 4 Next View All

2 Trackbacks to “Gym Tells Hot, Fit Woman to Cover Up Because She’s Intimidating Others”