The PJ Tatler

Obama Wouldn’t Let His Adult Son Play Pro Football

The president's far-ranging interview in The New Yorker elicits some surprising answers.

Rick Moran

January 19, 2014 - 11:44 am

He doesn’t have a son — that we know of — but that didn’t stop President Obama from weighing in on the pro football concussion controversy.

The president made those comments in a wide-ranging interview appearing in The New Yorker today.

The Hill reports:

President Obama said that he believed NFL players “know what they’re doing” and understood the impact that concussions could have on their long-term health in an interview with The New Yorker published on Sunday, adding that he would not let his son play pro football.

“At this point, there’s a little bit of caveat emptor,” Obama said. “These guys, they know what they’re doing. They know what they’re buying into. It is no longer a secret. It’s sort of the feeling I have about smokers, you know?”

In August, the NFL agreed to a $765 million settlement in a lawsuit brought against the league by former players. The league did not admit any liability or that brain injuries were the result of playing football, but the money will be split among former players and medical researchers. A federal judge has not yet approved the deal.

Existing research has shown that repeated concussions can be associated with memory loss and behavioral changes. They’re also linked to chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a progressive degenerative brain disease.

The president made the comments while speaking aboard Air Force One with David Remnick, the magazine’s editor and a former sportswriter for The Washington Post.

Obama said that while the risks were understood, if he had a son, he would not allow him to play professional football.

“I would not let my son play pro football,” he said. “But, I mean, you wrote a lot about boxing, right? We’re sort of in the same realm.”

Note that the president didn’t say Pee Wee football, or high school football, or even college football — all three levels that he would have a lot more influence over the decision of whether a child of his should play football. Presumably, an adult child could tell his father Barack where to stick his decision not to let him play pro ball. But there are millions of fathers out there who encourage their sons to play football despite the dangers to growing bones, tendons, and ligaments.

So basically, his statement is meaningless, while it avoids offending those parents who allow their kids to play ball.

The president also made a few other statements that will probably cause some controversy.

1. His approval numbers — both positive and negative — are the result of race.

“There’s no doubt that there’s some folks who just really dislike me because they don’t like the idea of a black president,” Obama said in the article by David Remnick, appearing in the magazine’s Jan. 27 edition.

“Now, the flip side of it is there are some black folks and maybe some white folks who really like me and give me the benefit of the doubt precisely because I’m a black president,” Obama said in his most direct comments on how race has affected his political standing since he’s been in office.

2. Obama said that legalizing marijuana in Colorado and Washington may not be a good thing because it will lead to calls for legalization of other drugs. But he said marijuana was no more dangerous than alcohol:

“As has been well documented, I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life. I don’t think it is more dangerous than alcohol,” Obama told the weekly magazine.

The president said pot was actually less dangerous than alcohol “in terms of its impact on the individual consumer.”

“It’s not something I encourage, and I’ve told my daughters I think it’s a bad idea, a waste of time, not very healthy,” he said.

3. The president said that “presidents don’t start with a clean slate,” and that even if few of his initiatives are passed, they are likely to be adopted at some point in the future:

“One of the things that I’ve learned to appreciate more as president is you are essentially a relay swimmer in a river full of rapids, and that river is history,” Obama told Remnick. “You don’t start with a clean slate, and the things you start may not come to full fruition on your timetable. But you can move things forward. And sometimes the things that start small may turn out to be fairly significant.”

This is actually a fairly profound view of the presidency. Sometimes those things you set in motion prove to be disastrous (“Great Society”), and sometimes they’re positively earth shaking (“Tear down this wall”). The question is, does Obama know the difference? Can he know the difference?

On such matters are presidents judged by history.

Rick Moran is PJ Media's Chicago editor and Blog editor at The American Thinker. He is also host of the"RINO Hour of Power" on Blog Talk Radio. His own blog is Right Wing Nut House.

It seems to me that the odds of Obama’s begetting a son who would be genetically capable of playing football are quite literally non-existent.
“I would not let my son play pro football,” he said."

Of course not, because football is based on merit, ability & results, not affirmative action whereby someone with mediocre talent can rise to the top & the results are summarily ignored.
END QUOTE

No doubt there are idiots and racists.
But I assure you, the five or six MILLIONS who have lost their healthcare insurance because of your law REALLY DISLIKE you for serious and solid reasons.

(And the tens of millions who will lose their health insurance in the coming year too.)

my co-worker's step-sister makes $71 hourly on the internet . She has been laid off for 9 months but last month her income was $20802 just working on the internet for a few hours.
check this site out,,,,,,,,,, http://wwwFizzjob.com
I'm thinking Zed would encourage his son to wear a onsie, drink hot chocolate, and talk about health care.
Obama said that marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol. He also said he would, however, advise his children not to use marijuana. But note what he did not say. He did not say he would advise his children not to use alcohol. That is a clear contradiction that makes his comparison of marijuana and alcohol meaningless and false.
Greetings:

Having misspent a substantial part of my youth playing basketball, one of my personal greatest moments in sports came when Bill Russell, the Boston Celtics star center, asserted that "Basketball is a contact sport. Football is a collision sport." (And, as I was subsequently to extrapolate, hockey is a collision sport with hand and foot tools.)

In spite of having been thus enlightened, I continued to enjoy the latter game as a fan but eventually misgivings began to creep in. Tackling seemed to be morphing into colliding as arms seemed to become less and less involved in the process as did the sportsmanship aspect of the sport. Like the ancient Romans before us the populace wanted to be excited and whatever can be said for good sportsmanship, well, it's not really all that exciting now is it? [For a while, a hamburger purveyor even sponsored replays of the more startling collisions as a homage to its "Quarter-pounder" sandwich. Sweet.]

That being said, as far as our President is concerned, some Y-chromosomes deserve to be MIA.

It's nothing short of side-splitting that he can honestly think/say out-loud that anyone with a brain stem might hate him because he's BLACK.
I know I don't like him just because he is The Ultimate Phony, is a navel gazer par-excellance and gives really crummy, pedantic, long-winded, doggerel-filled speeches.
Plus, he's broken his sworn oath so often, any kind of legal ultimate punishment is just too good for him.
Bring back stoning or the ducking chair.....and let me run the concessions, and be the referee..........
I wouldn't let my adult son play with Obama.
It's a full-time job just to respond to all the senseless sh*t this moronic black Babbitt says.
His wife, however, would make a great linebacker.
If Obama had an imaginary son he liked, he could keep that son, period.
Wow, that whole "relay swimmer in a river" quote is pretty good; did the reporter correctly attribute that quote to the Teleprompter, because surely The Won couldn't have thought of that all by himself.

If Obama's son completed his career in pro football, would Obama allow his son to smoke pot to relieve the pain in his torn up knees and back? Chronic pain is the price that all retired pro players pay for their careers.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All