The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

January 4, 2014 - 3:19 pm

MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry, who, along with her guests, mocked a photo of Mitt Romney and his adopted black grandson, made an emotional apology on her show for her “poor judgment”:

“Whatever the intent was, the reality is that the segment proceeded in a way that was offensive, and showing the photo in that context, that segment, was poor judgment. So without reservation or qualification, I apologize to the Romney family,” Harris-Perry said, her voice choking up while her eyes moistened but failed to produce tangible tears on her cheeks.

Harris-Perry and her show’s guests previously mocked a photo of Romney with his adopted black grandson, with one guest even saying that the photo was representative of the largely white Republican party, which tries to “find the one black person” for photo ops.

Harris-Perry is the latest liberal to fall victim to the liberal-created virus that ensnares people who publicly say things that can be interpreted as offensive or politically incorrect. As The Daily Caller noted, three straight liberals went down at the end of 2013 in free speech controversies. Alec Baldwin lost his MSNBC show for calling a photographer a “c**ksucking fag.” Martin Bashir was fired from MSNBC for comments he made about crapping in Sarah Palin’s mouth. Washington Post syndicated columnist Richard Cohen was roundly lambasted for comments he made about traditional Americans’ views on interracial marriage.

Considering the fact that Baldwin’s and Bashir’s apologies didn’t do the trick, you wonder if those tears shed by Harris-Perry were less about being sorry for her racist opinions and more about a desperate attempt to salvage her job.

YouTube Preview Image

Regardless, Howard Kurtz looks at MSNBC and wonders if the rude, loutish behavior is really accidental. Could it be network policy to generate controversy and goose the ratings of the low-rated network?

Go back a bit further and there are more transgressions. Ed Schultz apologized for calling Laura Ingraham a “right-wing slut” and was suspended for a week. Chris Hayes said he was “uncomfortable” calling fallen soldiers “heroes” because that could be seen as justifying more war. He apologized: “As many have rightly pointed out, it’s very easy for me, a TV host, to opine about the people who fight our wars, having never dodged a bullet or guarded a post or walked a mile in their boots.”

Just about everyone on television, including me, makes mistakes. And cable news can be a rough neighborhood. I’m sure some folks are at this moment scrambling to dig up incendiary comments made on Fox, which shouldn’t be difficult. I’m not crazy about pundits calling their opponents idiots and liars. But not since Glenn Beck was branding Barack Obama a “racist” with a “deep-seated hatred” of white people has anything been at the Bashir level, and that was five years ago.

MSNBC is now 85 percent opinion, according to a recent Pew study. The channel doesn’t have its own reporters and has no problem having such commentators as Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews anchor news events, including conventions and election nights.

With so many opinions being flung around, perhaps there is subtle pressure to push the boundaries of acceptable commentary in an effort to break through the static.

Personally, I hope things settle down at MSNBC. It’s good for the country to have three healthy cable news networks and a vigorous debate that doesn’t descend into offensive bile.

If it’s “subtle” pressure, it’s not very subtle. But really, I think what’s going on at MSNBC is the same thing that’s going on at many liberal blogs and in the liberal commentariat, not to mention in liberal salons and liberal coffee klatches all over the country. I’ll explain on the next page.

Well cry me a river. The reality of your employment is what is offensive darling.
Why anyone gives two seconds attention to MSNBC is beyond me.
She wore tampon earrings on the air, for crying out loud. That says more about her judgement and her mindset than anything, inflammatory or apologetic, that comes out of her mouth.
Another sleazy but popular tactic of these leftists: make vile, hate-filled rants on air, sliming good conservatives, for ratings, no less, then feign an apology and all is well. Even Baldwin noticed this and called them out for it! Confession is good for the soul, true, but this is a sick, twisted perversion.
Why would she not offer up (what appears to be) a contrite apology? She knows very well the hosts at MSNBC are being sacked for what they feel are minor offenses. FINALLY! Are we seeing the pendulum finally swinging back on them? I don't see it cutting a wide enough or deep enough swath but I'm a patient man.

While I don't advocate people losing their jobs over misconduct I certainly won't worry about whether they do - and won't shed a tear if this latest stunt gets Ms. Perry sacked.

Such convincing acting (non-apology apology) places her in the top 10 for an award from Hollywood right after B. Obama at the first one through nine..
Is it just me or does MHP have a bit of a lisp?
Oh thtop... sthe hath no thuch thing
Greetings:

Back in my Catholic school daze, the good Sisters taught that a proper act of contrition requires a firm purpose of amendment and the avoidance of the near occasions of sin.

Just saying.
Her so called apology is nothing more then an attempt to salvage her job. MHP knew exactly what was going to happen when she put up the picture of the Romney clan; she expected the comments and reaction from her liberal buddies and so was not disappointed. I think she was surprised at the negative reaction her little production created. So she created, rehearsed and delivered her "apology" hoping to calm the roiling waters. The only thing MHP is sorry about is that she got called out for her racist comments. Just turn the table for a moment and consider what the reaction around the country would have been if a Republican/Conservative had made those same remarks. The Left wingnuts would be demanding the head of whoever it was who said it.
MSNBC - run by people who think Air America and Current TV were great business models.
The only thing she is sorry about is getting caught mocking a Republican and being called out for it. Liberals are never sorry for what they do or say...they're sorry for getting caught doing their own hateful thing.
Part of me says she is down, no need to kick her...and the other part of me says thanks to people like you, I just avoid blacks altogether cause I don't know if the one I meet is going to be a decent bloke or come with a massive chip on his shoulder. And this being another global export, I have never even been to the states. I never had this problem until our radical free thinking Aussie academy stopped copying Britain and started copying America.
Liberals like her need to be kicked early and often.
Due to this issue, I was forced to watch CNN. Saw the clip. Guys...

This whole thing is pretty lame. I have seen the leftist in the media do much, much worse.

Melissa is a walking talking advertisement for conservatives. Let them dig their own graves. Which it appears they are currently doing, and doing it quite efficiently I might add.
Well, I thought I was watching CNN. MSNBC? Does it really matter?
1 2 3 4 Next View All