The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

December 12, 2013 - 1:16 pm

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) stood by his criticism of conservative PACs and lobbying groups today, saying that he’s standing up for conservatives who want to work toward deficit reduction.

Boehner was asked Wednesday about conservative PACs and lobbying groups, including Heritage Action, that have come out in opposition to the Ryan-Murray agreement.

“You mean the groups that came out and opposed it before they ever saw it?” he shot back. “They’re using our members and they’re using the American people for their own goals. This is ridiculous.”

Today, he was asked at a press conference if his comments meant he’d be more open to compromise and less likely to listen to lobbying groups.

“Listen, I take my fair share of criticism from the right and from the left. You know, I came here to fight for a smaller, less costly, more accountable federal government. And this budget agreement takes giant steps in the right direction,” Boehner said.

“It’s not everything I wanted, but when groups come out and criticize an agreement that they’ve never seen, you begin to wonder just how credible those actions are,” he added.

“And so yesterday when the criticism was coming, frankly I thought was my job and my obligation to stand up for conservatives here in the Congress who want more deficit reduction, stand up for the work that Chairman Ryan did. He did good work on behalf of the American people. It’s not everything we wanted, but our job is to find enough common ground to move the ball down the field on behalf of the American people who sent us here to do their work.”

Boehner was asked if this was a sign that he’s “finally saying no to the Tea Party.”

“Listen, this bill, this budget bill, gets us more deficit reduction than what we have under the Budget Control Act. I came here to cut the size of government. That’s exactly what this bill does,” he replied. “And why conservatives wouldn’t vote for this or criticize the bill is beyond any recognition I can come up with.”

Of certain conservative groups, the speaker said, “Frankly, I think they’re misleading their followers.”

“I think they’re pushing our members in places where they don’t want to be. And frankly, I just think that they’ve lost all credibility. You know, they pushed us into this fight to defund Obamacare and to shut down the government,” he continued.

“Most of you know, my members know, that wasn’t exactly the strategy that I had in mind. But if you’ll recall the day before the government reopened, one of the people — one of these groups stood up and said, well, we never really thought it would work. Are you kidding me?”

Boehner said he’s “as conservative as anybody around this place.”

“And all the things that we’ve done over the three years that I’ve been speaker have not violated any conservative principle, not once,” he added.

When asked if he wanted the conservative groups to stand down, he shot back, “I don’t care what they do.”

“It’s just that there just comes a point when some people step over the line. You know, when you criticize something and you have no idea what you’re criticizing, it undermines your credibility.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

"You know, I came here to fight for a smaller, less costly, more accountable federal government."

No, I don't know that.
There's a great deal of evidence showing that the statement is false.
And I've seen no evidence at all to support it.
Heh.

I'm sick and damn tired of expressing my contempt for the contemptible GOP leadership in Congress. What else can I say that hasn't been said?

Suffice it to say that a party that spends more time misleading, attacking, and insulting its own base than the opposition is unworthy of our support.

And I'm tired of trying to change the party from within. If the 2010 Tea Party victories couldn't do it, nothing will. Not even Ronald Reagan himself could make a dent in these losers.

I'm voting Libertarian from now on. To hell with the GOP.
►►►►►►►►►►►►►
My neighbor's sister-in-law makes $83 an hour on the laptop. She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her pay was $13121 just working on the laptop for a few hours. find more info
►►►►►►►►►►►►►
WWW.BAY93.COM
Republicans are never more sincere than when they are attacking their own base.

That's the real problem, and it's why conservatives don't trust Republicans, and shouldn't.
my friend's mom makes $63 an hour on the computer. She has been out of work for seven months but last month her payment was $18465 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more http://www.cash29.com/
☝ ☝ ☝ ☝ ☝ ☝☝ ☝ ☝ ☝ ☝ ☝
my buddy's step-aunt makes $82/hour on the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working on the internet for a few hours. look at this web-site..... http://www.jobs53.com
Everybody can earn 150$+ daily... You can earn from 4000-9000 a month or even more if you work as a full time job...It's easy, just follow instructions on this page, read it carefully from start to finish... It's a flexible job but a good earning opportunity.. go to this site for more detail
►►►►►►►►►►►►►www.blue48.com
My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do>>>>>>>>>>>> www.jobs35.com
Wanna know what's really going on? Read the book Extortion by Peter Schweizer. It will give you a good idea exactly what motivates our Congress Critters. MONEY!! Nothing less. They are all in it for what they can take. Our Founding Fathers warned about huge, complicated, comprehensive bills designed to hide what was really in them. The more confusing and contradictory a bill is the more easily money can be extorted from those the bill effects. Those that design the bills soon leave to find lucrative jobs as lobbyists as "experts" on those bills and how to work around them. It's all a racket! Until we can term limit these establishment crooks out of office it will continue business as usual.
I cannot wait for the first solicitation from the RNC that I will receive in the mail. I will tear it up into little pieces and send it back to them in their pre-paid envelope.
Thanks Cry-Boy, youre a real Peach...
Thats "pee-arr-eye-see-kay" Peach, mmkay?

I just wanna say thanks for Pimping-out my childrens future one more time, because whats "best" for YOUR career longevity is OUR lifetime priority, isnt it, you Great Big Beautiful Gigantic Peach, You.

When will you ever realize we're getting tired of being told the New Political Compromise will be “just few close friends over for a glass of wine” when we know we'll be finding broken bottles and bongs everywhere, the carpets soaked with urine, and, oh look honey, someone took a sh*t in the washing machine, AGAIN.

Youre SUCH a Peach, how can we Conservatives EVER repay you?
What is killing Boehner is that he does not realize that prudence is a conservative virtue, that mouldered branches must be cut away, and that business as usual is the mouldered branch.

The establishment likes business as usual which has earned us 220 trillion dollars in and funded liabilities. It must be cut away.

I will believe the Congressional GOP establishment conservatives understand what the crisis is when they start acting like it is a crisis.

Until then they are only an impediment to actual improvement.
1 2 3 Next View All

One Trackback to “Boehner on Conservative Lobbying Groups: ‘I Don’t Care What They Do’ on Budget Bill”