The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

November 13, 2013 - 8:13 am

I always figured that the woman who greeted Americans at the Obamacare website was a stock photo model. It turns out that the face that once adorned the troubled Healthcare.gov website doesn’t belong to an Obamacare supporter. It also doesn’t belong to a US citizen.

“Adriana” spoke to ABC News, saying that she was never paid for the family photo that until recently fronted Healthcare.gov. Immediately after the site’s (failure to) launch, she became the subject of jokes and online hate. Stephen Colbert called her “that vaguely ethnic smiling woman.” The Onion Photoshopped her looking worried about the site.

onion-obamacare

Her citizenship also became the subject of scrutiny.

Speculation swirled that Adriana might not be a legal resident of the United States, and therefore not even eligible for the health care exchanges. Adriana said she is a wife and mother who lives in Maryland with her 21-month-old son and husband of six and a half years. Her husband is a U.S. citizen, as is his her son. Adriana, who is Colombian, said she has lived legally in the U.S. for more than six years, is currently a permanent resident and is applying for citizenship.

Though she is eligible for healthcare through the ACA, Adriana says she hasn’t signed up for it, and is neither in favor nor against it.

She says she asked HHS to take her photo down. HHS has replaced it with icons, but denies that it took the photo down at Adriana’s request. Given the Obama government’s track record of lying to sell Obamacare and concealing enrollment numbers more than a month after its launch, it’s a safe bet that it is even lying about why it took Adriana’s photo off the site.

I'm shocked! SHOCKED!!
Bryan, the take-away snippet is that she herself has not even signed up for Obamacare. Which I think is even more significant than the fact that she's neutral about supporting it.

Also, as an aside, her tale of how she purportedly got her picture on the site? Bogus. Here's what she said:

"The saga of the photo started innocuously enough. Seeking free family photographs, Adriana emailed a contact at the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the agency responsible for the Affordable Care Act's rollout, about having photos of her and her family taken in exchange for allowing the photos to be used to market the new health care law. She was never paid."

Say WHAT???

"Hmmmm, I want some 'free family photographs' (which is absurd itself in the era of digital photography, but we'll gloss over that for the moment).
"I know what I'll do: I'll call up Medicare (??!?!?) and offer to allow them to photograph me, and use the photos to promote a law that I myself don't even support. Then, maybe, they'll let me keep some copies!!!"

Something is really fishy about this tale.
"If the person they chose to symbolize signing up for Obamacare herself wouldn't even sign up for it, then the law is most surely doomed." I fervently hope so; I also hope its failure also dooms the pResident, all those legislators who voted for it, those in the "mainstream media" who continue to shill for it as well as all those in the IRS, HHS, and other government agencies who are working to enforce this awful piece of legislation.