The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

November 5, 2013 - 10:16 pm

After stomping his Democratic challenger in a 22.5 point landslide victory, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie took the podium with his family at his side for his acceptance speech in Asbury Park.

It came off more like a 2016 entrance speech, though.

“The only greatest honor and privilege than being a one-term governor of New Jersey is to be a two-term governor of New Jersey,” Christie gushed as he celebrated the easily predicted win, noting that his challenger, state Sen. Barbara Buono, was “very gracious in her congratulations.”

“The people of New Jersey four years ago were downhearted and dispirited. They didn’t believe that government could work for them anymore. In fact, what they thought — what they thought was that government was just there to take from them but not to give to them. Not to work with them. Not to work for them. Well, four years later, we stand here tonight showing that it is possible to put doing your job first, to put working together first, to fight for what you believe in yet still stand by your principles and get something done for the people who elected you,” he said.

“The biggest thing, the biggest thing I’ve learned over the last four years about leadership is that leadership is much less about talking than it is about listening, about bringing people around the table, listening to each other, showing them respect, doing what needed to be done to be able to bring people together and to achieve what we needed to achieve to move our state forward. Now, listen, I know that if we can do this in Trenton, New Jersey, maybe the folks in Washington, D.C. should tune in their TVs right now, see how it’s done.”

Christie then segued into comments about bipartisanship and leadership.

“While we may not always agree, we show up. We show up everywhere. We don’t show up just in the places that vote for us a lot, we show up in the place that vote for us a little. We don’t just show up in the places where we’re comfortable, we show up in the places where we’re uncomfortable. Because when you lead, you need to be there. You need to show up. You need to listen. And then you need to act,” he said.

“And you don’t just show up six months before an election. You show up four years before one. And you don’t just take no for an answer the first time no has happened. You keep going back and trying more. Because when I was elected four years ago, I wasn’t elected just by the people who voted for me. I was the governor of all the people. And tonight, overwhelmingly those people have said, come onboard, it’s fine here. Let’s have more people support the governor. And now, we have a big, big win tonight.”

The governor added that “what people have told me over the last four years is more than anything else, they want the truth.”

“Some folks don’t agree with some of the things I do, and certainly they don’t agree with some of the things I say sometimes,” he continued. “They know they never have to wonder. They never have to wonder. When they walked into the voting booth today, they didn’t say, ‘Hey, I wonder who this guy is and what he stands for, what he’s willing to fight for, what he’s willing to do when the chips are down.’”

Christie said Hurricane Sandy turned his job into a “mission.”

“And that mission, that mission is to make sure that everyone, everyone in New Jersey who’s affected by Sandy is returned to normalcy in their life. And I want to promise you tonight, I will not let anyone, anything, any political party, any governmental entity, or any force get in between me and the completion of my mission.”

In telling the story of the past year of recovery, Christie said: “I’ve had a lot of people ask me for hugs.” That’s when a handful of audience members shouted that they wanted their hugs.

“You’ll get your hug later, brother. And I can tell you this. I guess there is open bar tonight, huh?”

Christie’s hug buddy after Sandy, though, left him off a list of congratulatory phone calls. The White House said President Obama called Virginia Gov.-elect Terry McAuliffe, New York Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio, and Boston Mayor-elect Martin Walsh to hail their victories.

“I know that tonight a dispirited America, angry with their dysfunctional government in Washington, looks to New Jersey to say, ‘Is what I think happening really happening? Are people really coming together? Are we really working, African-Americans and Hispanics, suburbanites and city dwellers, farmers and teachers? Are we really all working together?’ Let me give the answer to everyone who is watching tonight. Under this government, our first job is to get the job done. And as long as I’m governor, that job will always, always be finished.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

I'm surprised Christie didn't send himself flowers. He has that same 'superior' attitude that Obama has - just expresses it differently.
To paraphrase King Hussein, "If the voters of New Jersey like their governor, they can keep him. Period."
What can I say?

The same idiot GOP establishment hacks, lemming voters, and left-wing media shills will make sure Christie is the nominee...and he'll lose just like the last two "electable" candidates - McCain and Romney.

Only this time, I won't hold my nose and vote for the lesser of two evils...because I'm not convinced Christie would be much better than Hillary or anyone else the Dems offer up. He's a corrupt, traitorous, narcissistic blowhard who shouldn't be in elective office.

If he gets the nomination in 2016, I'll vote third party.
my classmate's mother-in-law makes $82 an hour on the computer. She has been laid off for eight months but last month her pay was $19991 just working on the computer for a few hours. you can try this out.......>>>>WWW.Bay95.COM
Are there no other GOP governors?
All smoke and mirrors. NJ foreclosure rate is highest in nation. The coast is NOWHERE near being rebuilt.
I'm surprised he didn't break his arm by patting himself on the back. This rumored GOP lineup is getting more disgusting and frightening by the day. Republicans have NOTHING to offer the Conservative voting base. Even the guy who is running against Lamar Alexander has nothing to say about anything except obamacare and yet he's asking for donations for his candidacy. They are forcing us to vote third party.
As elections near, 2014, 2016, doesn't matter, more will come out with the party unity, big tent, bipartisan, etc etc campaign slogans.

Give me one example of establishment put party unity ahead of party establishment.
so when does the Repub Party come up with folks who represent the Repub wing? You know, the one that used to preach limited govt, individual liberty and responsibility, and all those other values that are evidently passe even among the GOP. When conservatism is measured as the sum of being anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage, then the term has lost all meaning.

When last in power, the GOP gave us a new Medicare entitlement, No Child, the monstrosity of the TSA cloaked inside the Hydra of DHS, and Dem-like spending. It made griping about Obama's spending sound more like regret over who was doing it than what was being done. The party keeps nominating moderates, from Romney back to Bush the Elder and wonders why it loses.
I wish New Jersey would give Christie a lifetime appointment as their RINO in Chief and keep him off the national stage. He can be honored by it, and the rest of us can be spared having to put up with him.
Just what the country needs a John McCave think alike. When will we learn? And people wonder why the GOP is know as the STUPID party.
We have to win to govern.
We did, in 2002...we governed like Democrats.

Why should we care if we win again with people of that cut or even more "moderate".
If they govern as poorly or worse than the opposition, then how can you ever consider that a win?
"Christie Gives a 2016 Speech Full of Talk of Bipartisanship, Leadership..."

That's the GOP's problem: "...Full of Talk..." As Barry said throughout his campaign against Hillary: "Words, just words..."

How long has it been since we've had a Republican who would do what he says? Words are cheap, words are easy, words are meaningless if the speaker is not held accountable. Like Boehner, our beloved, beleaguered Speaker of the House, many GOPers find it easy to voice opposition to the devastating, catastrophic immigration bill, yet secretly they pray it will pass, and say so when they think they're not overheard.

Few, if any, of our so-called leaders care about or even know why America has been great in the past, or what America will become in the short-term future. Politics has trumped reality and rationality in our nation's capital.
I might add that only a 'liberal Democrat' would think that this was a winning proposition to reduce crime - another get-out-of-jail, never-suffer-the-consequences-of-your-actions 'program' from Christie's state, as linked from Drudge : "NJ to hold fugitive safe surrender"

I'm sure these low-risk offenders will see the error of their ways and thank the citizens of NJ for their kindness. Yes, I'm sure.
You mean Obama didn't send Christie flowers. Not to worry O, when you cancel elections for 2016 and declare marital law the Gov will be covering your back.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “Christie Gives a 2016 Speech Full of Talk of Bipartisanship, Leadership, and Hugs”