The PJ Tatler

Michelle Horstman

October 29, 2013 - 3:25 pm

Krauthammer

On today’s show, Rush Limbaugh was discussing his surprise at the recent comment by Charles Krauthammer. Krauthammer said the following:

I remember before the president-elect arrived saying, “You know, I haven’t been able to figure this guy out. Is he a centrist who will occasionally throw a bone to the left or is he a lefty who will occasionally throw a bone to the right?” Nobody had any idea.

Rush made it clear that he is not trying to feud with Krauthammer, yet is still perplexed at how someone with his background would have not seen through Obama during his candidacy. Mulling that over, it occurred to me that it might be a matter of differences in discernment.

Discernment defined:

Discernment is the activity of determining the value and quality of a certain subject or event, particularly the activity of going past the mere perception of something and making detailed judgments about that thing.

It sounds as if Krauthammer may not have gotten past the outer perception of Obama the Candidate to see what was behind the outer shell of the candidate. But as a person more familiar with the way politics work than many of us are, why would he not see this? As someone who has practiced psychology, it is, indeed, surprising that he would have been blind to what the intentions of Obama the Candidate actually were.

I immediately thought back to a discussion between commenters long ago, on “The Return of Scipio” blog (2008-2009). Readers of the blog were discussing how Obama’s intentions and persona were so crystal clear, yet so many seemed to be completely blinded to it. It was concluded that it was a matter of spiritual discernment, very clear to those looking at Obama from this perspective, but not so for those who do not view the world through this lens. It wasn’t a matter of people not wanting to see Obama for what he was, but actually being unable to see.

It would be doubtful that Krauthammer would look at things from a spiritual perspective, given his comments on his own personal belief:

It was simply a matter of just applying my thinking to these questions of God, a historical God and a God who intervenes in prayer, and I came up short. It was no great epiphany. It was no great disappointment. It had nothing to do with my being [paralyzed in a diving accident] when I was 22. I was already way, way gone by the time I was 18 and 19. It was simply an intellectual conclusion, and I’ve been basically unchanged for 50 years. I don’t make any great claims for it. I would not proselytize my own agnosticism. It’s just where I’ve come to.

This is not to say that atheists/agnostics are unable to distinguish people with good intentions from people with bad intentions. However, it is to say that an atheist is not seeing through a spiritual lens and may, therefore, come to different conclusions. Just one example of how a Christian might look at a person would be to look at the “fruits”. What has that person produced? Has it been good fruit or bad fruit (or no fruit, in some cases, which would be bad fruit)? Obama the Candidate certainly wouldn’t have passed the discernment test, even if based only on this one aspect of it.

No doubt, there are sincere liberal Christians out there who would argue that they have looked at Obama with spiritual discernment and come up with a totally different conclusion. However, one would have to ask them to revisit that. At this stage, the blatant and even admitted lies coming out of his administration would make it beyond difficult to defend. How can good fruit come from a rotten source?

None of us are always right about the inner workings and intentions of others, but looking at the world with a sincere desire to be spiritually discerning will sure improve your odds. Look out for the rotten fruit along the way.

I don't think Krauthammer suffers any spiritual discernment. He suffers from source discrimination. In the case of Obama's candidacy, no one in the MSM ---ON THE RIGHT--- dared question Obama's underlying, secret agenda or its source like alternative media did with gusto. It was unseemly, carried too much threat of ostracization via a playing of the race card, Islamaphobic card, birther card, etc. Even Obama's secret life record were never challenged stringently by the Right side of the MSM where Krauthammer, Will, Parker, Noonan reside. We've seen that repeated with the government shutdown and immigration.
The problem is they, right spectrum MSM do not want to use PJMedia, Drudge, Instapundit, etc. as a main source. It undermines their employer, their standing in their particular profession community and the establishment wing of the R party. Spiritual discerne,nt doesn't enter into it.
Where I work there are numerous people who lack the discernment you write of; they still do after all the transgressions against rationality Obama and his regime have committed . The conclusion one must come to is that my co-workers are not rational people. I tell them that they vote the same as O.J. Simpson's jury and Gary, Indiana and they claim that I don't know how that jury and city vote. They get their information from scoffers like Bill Maher and they laugh when I tell them that Limbaugh tells the truth or that Palin is intelligent. Unfortunately, it is they who cannot discern the truth and it is they who are not intelligent.
I've met some very intelligent, discerning agnostics and atheists. But there is one thing I found they did not fully understand in 2008 as to why me and millions like me watched in horror, observing that sordid spectacle of Styrofoam columns in a stadium with thousands of fools genuflecting to an utter fraud.

The words that came to my mind that day were "Abomination of Desolation." The hair literally stood up on my neck as I finally concluded millions that deceived in a once great nation. And to this day, the Cult of Obama has done nothing to convince me otherwise.
For me it was election night, with his comments on the planet beginning to cool and slowing the rise of the oceans.
I remember blogging about this back in 2008. I only had 2 readers, so it didn't get much attention, heh. Anyway, there's the old aphorism "A man is known by the company he keeps." Look at the company BO has kept at various stages in his life. Case made. What's not to call obvious about it?

CK is brilliant but he does live in the highest echelons of the DC bubble. as a result he willfully ignored the vast paper trail that only us tea partying "beasts" were willing to read and reach conclusion from.
I have a theory about credulity. If you grew up in the suburbs, where everybody was just like you, you have no defense against the hustlers and con artists of the world. If you grew up in the country you know to be prepared for all kinds of unexpected eventualities, that animals can be ornery, the weather is never what they say it is going to be, and you have to be ready for anyhing. If you grew up in an urban center you can spot a hustler a mile away and know how to look out for yourself in a crowd, etc. I'll bet a lot of people among the cognoscenti, who think they are savvy but were unprepared for Obama, are from the suburban crowd.
You know a tree by its fruit. How can one improve on the sagacity of Jesus. Øbama was a test for America and America failed. Twice.
Rush has it right - Krauthammer should have known from the rather lengthy paper trail that Obama was a committed lefty.

Obama is the front man in the biggest con every perpetrated on this nation. You view of the fruits is spot on.
Regarding Limbaugh's apparent incredulity, I suspect that Krauthammer and George Will were taking their measure of Obama based entirely on the record he provided while on the campaign trail in 2007-08. Perhaps the information available from previous years (i.e. Obama as member of the "New Party" in Chicago) were considered "anecdotal" and thus suspect. I base this on Krauthammer's claim that he was using "experiential" data to inform him of who Obama was. Experiential in this context means "directly observed".

One Trackback to “Limbaugh, Krauthammer and Spiritual Discernment”