The PJ Tatler

I Told You So (Obamacare Edition)

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me for five years, I'm an Obama voter.

Charlie Martin

October 14, 2013 - 3:31 pm

Back in March 2008, I wrote this on PJM in a post titled “Today’s Health Insurance Ain’t Insurance”:

Here’s where things start to get tricky, though. Some people — young people just out of school for example — aren’t making a lot of money, but then don’t really want to spend a lot of money on insurance. Normally, they wouldn’t have to: other than accidents and very rare diseases, a 25-year-old shouldn’t normally need anything more than minor maintenance and occasional hangover cures. The idea of the mandate, though, is that if you include these low-risk people in the whole insurance pool, the premiums they pay can be added back to the pot for older people and people with serious illnesses, which makes the insurance more “affordable” — for them.

It’s exactly the same situation as if we charge a 25-year-old the same amount for a year’s term life insurance as we charge his 75-year-old grandfather: it may make the insurance more affordable for Granddad, but it does so by overcharging young Elmo. Add in the “mandate,” so Elmo can’t opt out, and we have a universal care plan that forces Elmo to pay for services he doesn’t get so that Granddad can pay less for the services he gets. But it’s “voluntary” — you get to pick your insurance plan to some extent — and it’s not “tax-supported” because you are just paying the insurance company directly.

Today in Forbes, we see Cathy Reisenwitz, in a post titled “Millennials Are Opting Out Of Obamacare Because It’s Not Insurance,” saying:

The problem with this plan is that it hoses young, relatively poor people like me right when we least need high bills for services they’re not using. And it helps older, relatively rich people who should be able to afford the care they need. If America’s downtrodden and struggling young people are smart, they’ll opt out. Then it’ll be up to the federal government to fine them enough to make up for the shortfall.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me for five years, I’m an Obama voter.

Charlie Martin writes on science, health, culture and technology for PJ Media. Follow his 13 week diet and exercise experiment on Facebook and at PJ Lifestyle

I wish to sincerely thank the naive young voters for voting themselves a life of servitude to my health care needs. They wanted the young, hip, good-looking black guy for President, even though he promised to reach deeply into their pockets for the rest of their working years. As for me, well, I'll enjoy the fruits of that theft as I cruise into retirement.
So thank you, Obamabots, you will never know how great the medical care that I receive on your dime really is...because by the time you retire, our medical care system will be right where Obama said it would be. You need a hip replacement to stop the pain? We have a better, cheaper solution. Here's an aspirin.
Yeah, son, don't worry. In a couple more years, those fines will be bad enough that you might as well take the premium.
I've got an idea! Just add the Obamacare costs in with their student loans. They'll never know the difference. I mean math and economics doesn't seem to be their strong suits anymore.
Obamacare will allow higher rates for smokers and tobacco users, because the resulting diseases are "lifestyle diseases," and yet for AIDS, which for the most part is also a disease that is the result of "lifestyle," those people will not face higher rates. In fact, there is a whole page on the Obamacare website outlining their protections.
I would have a lot of sympathy for the way young people are getting hozed by obama if the yound idiots had not voted for him by large numbers. If they are that stupid, maybe they deserve to get hozed.
Obamacare passed in 2010. But enough young people voted Democratic in 2012 to put Obama back in the White House for another 4 years. Now they are learning the consequences of their vote back in 2012...
Well, the very assumption that health care is a right statistically benefits old people at the expense of the young. There's no way to get around that.
Going by my own experience, a lot of the "healthcare" that seniors today get is a waste of money and only benefits their doctor whose income is twice what it would be under a true free market where the government does not regulate health care. Ever since the federal government passed prescription laws (giving doctor a legal monopoly over access to medical drugs) doctors are able to exploit this law for their own economic benefit in the form of unnecessary office visits and lab tests. Without prescription laws I'd be seeing my doctor about once every three years instead of every three months. Then there are those government regulations regarding hospitals that has created our very expensive "one size fits all" hospital system where the majority of patients are charged for services that they didn't need and didn't use. For more information, visit my blog at "muskegonlibertarian.wordpress.com";.
It ain't just millenials here. 47 year old male, no children, don't smoke, social drinker, exercise three times a week, eat right, don't work in hazardous job, don't wear glasses, good teeth, married to wife who is also healthy.

Cancelling my health inusurance in the next month (actually just not renewing my coverage for January 1), setting asside half of my soon to be jacked up premiums in our money market for an emergency, paying out of pocket for an annual physical.

To all you stupid, blind 20 somethings, who can't find jobs and owe crushing amounts of student loan debt, have fun! Enjoy paying for abortions and free birth control for Sandra FlUCK!
As long as you have no real tangible liquid assets, you're probably OK for now. If you have some wealth you'd like to leave to someone, you're being foolish.
My wife is a hospice nurse. At least once a month she gets someone like you who felt a bit poorly, saw the doctor, went for a few minor tests, told they were dying from whatever, dead two weeks later. Age? From 16 to 100. BOOM, just like that!
It is sheer ignorance to think that because you "live right", you can cheat death.
Take, for example, smokers who tell you only 20% die from lung cancer, which is true. But add in COPD, heart trouble, kidney disease, prostate cancer, the breakdown of your entire respiratory and circulatory system, bladder cancer, et al, and only a fool would smoke.
Happy thoughts are nice when you're dying.
Smart thoughts might keep you alive.
Is it really accurate to say they're opting out? They haven't been able to opt IN yet.
This hosing of the young wannabee and middle age productive classes is not just limited to Obamacare. It is the fundamental mechanism for funding our emerging American brand of socialism. Political elite and pubic service employees are insulated from big government waste and "redistribution" by their own sweet lifetime deals. Wealthy people are, well, wealthy.. and they easily stay that way because we don't tax wealth. If you are not in one of those groups and not a member of a government sanctioned victim/entitlement group and you still voted Democrat, then welcome to the useful idiot club.
Agree with you Diggsc - I would only add that, they didn't just vote for the guy. Whenever us older types tried to warn them about what was in store, the naive young voters responded with all the snark and bile and unfounded accusations of rampant racism they so enjoy spewing.

So to them I say - sorry kiddies, but you wanted it and you got it - now it's time to pay up!
You have misidentified the primary goals of obamacare. The initial objectives are government control and redistribution of wealth from all producers (regardless of age) to the parasites. You have fallen victim to obama's divide and conquer strategy. Please tell me how obamacare's taking over 700 billion dollars from Medicare (which workers have been forced to pay into for their entire working lives) helps those "rich old people". The money will be used to prop up Medicade (the welfare version of Medicare)...more redistribution. Get it? By the way, just what is "rich"? Who gets to say? Are there no rich young people? Lets stop with the inter-generational warfare which plays into obama's hands. By the way, as a member of the boomer generation, allow me to say that the boomers who are screwing things up are in the minority, just as they were in the 60s. They are just louder and enjoy the media support and publicity. Would you brand the entire younger generation as a bunch of worthless slackers based on the behavior of the "occupy Wall Street" gang? My children belong to that generation, and they are all hard working, responsible adults who view the "occupy" gang with disgust. Once again, lets stop fighting with each other, and identify the real problem. Hint: It's obama and the progressives.
For reasons I do not understand the real reason for the Obamacare mandate has been missed.

Re the following "The idea of the mandate, though, is that if you include these low-risk people in the whole insurance pool, the premiums they pay can be added back to the pot for older people and people with serious illnesses, which makes the insurance more “affordable” — for them."

And there is no question that this has been claimed to be a necessity to spread costs. More on this later.

The purpose of the mandate was to drive everyone in a firm off their firm's medical coverage choices. Although firms are taking whatever advantage the can of going to part-timers, the coercive intent of Obamacare re its mandate is clear.

If a firm has 20 thousand employee's and 5 thousand have never signed onto any of their health choices the penalty for the 5,000 is not collectable. This is because the people who wrote Obamacare forbade the IRS from issuing a lean, garnishing a wage, invading a bank account, or reducing any benefit payment federal or otherwise. Since the Roberts decision it is likely the IRS can reduce a refund by the "tax" . This of course is avoidable by adjusting your deductions.

BUT the IRS can collect the penalty on the employer. In the example I gave that amounts to $10 million each year.

In Obamacare there is a way - and only one way - the employer can avoid all penalties. He drops all of his medical benefit coverage for all his employees and then the employer is not liable for a penalty.

Walmart is doing just this and moving all its people to their own version of an exchange for them to choose.

Make no mistake the goal of the mandate never really had anything to do with the 5,000 who do not have insurance - it has all to do with getting a company to drop coverage altogether and pushing the 15,000 who did make some choice through their employer off any other medical coverage.

That is the point of the mandate.

Re young people subsidizing older people - "which makes the insurance more “affordable” — for them."

This is perfectly understandable but on this basis you have to object to all insurance for any insurance is a pool. There are no insurance pools that some people who didn't need it that year were paying for those who did. That Obamacare seeks a coerced pool is one of its myriad coercions.

Its "pool" is corrupt is the problem, not that it is a pool. All insurance is a pool. Just not this kind.
"Coerced" sounds so much better than "robbed at gunoint".
Doesn't it?
"forbade the IRS from issuing a lean"

The word is "lien".
First, crush the insurance industry. Then, when there is no alternative, the government is the only provider of insurance. That's the goal.
I would guess that your house is well insulated, but dark.
1 2 3 Next View All