The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

August 30, 2013 - 7:12 am

A House Democrat who joined striking fast-food workers in Illinois yesterday said the American economy needs doubled wages for the restaurant workers.

“This gets to the heart of our economic problem in this country which is income inequality. And yes, those arches are made of gold for people like CEO Donald Thompson who makes over $13.7 million in his pay package last year. But I met fast food workers today at McDonald’s who have been working there for a decade and still making $8.50 an hour,” Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) said on MSNBC.

“You cannot live on that kind of wage, and they end up turning to the government for support. So we end up subsidizing Donald Thompson and the profits that McDonald’s,” she added.

Schakowsky said the pay of private entities to workers who choose to take a job there is Congress’ business because “this is an entire industry that is paying poverty wages in this country.”

“Thousands and tens of thousands, maybe millions of people who simply can’t make it on those kinds of wages, and I think that forming a union, getting $15 an hour, which makes a modest income of about $31,000 a year, if you get to work full time, is something that is a proper demand,” she continued.

“And actually these workers are acting — are going to the employers, are going to these companies. I’m standing with them because I think we need it for our economy. If they got paid more, we’re going to see millions of jobs created because there are going to be consumers in the marketplace.”

As far as what Congress can do to compel a higher wage, Schakowsky suggested starting at the executive branch.

“The president could with an executive order do something about the low-wage workers, 2 million of them, that are contract workers for the federal government. That would be a good start,” she said.

“That would be, I think, a very good signal that we don’t think those poverty wages that are paid to millions and millions of workers across the country are good for our economy and certainly not good for those families.”

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

'Fast-Food Wage Doubling Would Create ‘Millions of Jobs’

Democrats live in a wholly fictional world. Completely delusional. If fast food workers worked exclusively for the government, this proposal might work. Since private industry has not been completely nationalized, the proposal is a pipedream.
I used to think that these Dems were just speaking down to their idiot base, but that they really (with some exceptions) knew better. I was wrong. These people are truly stupid.
These people are beyond parody.

When it comes to basic, and I do mean BASIC economics they're either profoundly illiterate or mendaciously dishonest. I'll leave you to decide which option is more troubling.
I really don't see how these people do not get it. I only have a high school education because I was kicked out of the house at age of 17 by my dad (I was forbidden from riding motorcycles, I rode a motorcycle anyway, we got hit by drlunk driver I got a broken tibia and fibia and there was absolutely no conceivable way to have that fixed by that evening.. kicked me out right after I got out of the hospital). how does someone with a college degree actually make a statement like this?I believe that basic economics is a part of every college degree. at least I would hope so. this is got to be deliberately sabotaging our economy. if u raise the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour for fast food employees you are going to increased expenses everywhere for everyone. not only will the fast food places have to raise their prices, every product will go up. it is a chain reaction. and she mentions the guy who runs McDonalds salary as if "were going to get you more money and he'll get less". no, sweetheart, that's not how it works. ffirst of all it is none of your business how much that man makes unless you own shares of McDonalds. ssince you're trying to ruin the company I would venture to guess you don't so shut up. McDonald's is a private corporations and they can do whatever they want. the board of McDonalds shareholders are not going to accept less money coming in to the company. They will raise prices and a chain reaction will start. every price in the grocery store will go up.shipping charges will go up for everything.

one thing I do have to say is that I know that a lot of people that work in the fast food industry also collect food stamps. Will these people agree to work full time and not accept food stamps if their pay is raised? I think we all know the answer to that question.
If Jan Schakowsky had an actual brain, she would remember what happened just a few weeks ago when the Washington DC City Council decreed that Walmart should pay higher wages.
I don't know if Congress still has "pages" who are paid nothing.....except their room and board. Some of them undoubtedly have more intelligence and ability than the Congresspersons. The laws Congress passes often are not obeyed by Congress itself.
I took an art class with a woman who had held nothing but a minimum wage job. She was not very bright and just couldn't understand why someone refilling the greeting cards in a store was not worth as much as someone getting higher pay. She was older when she had those jobs...not a teenager, and she needed more money.
Why is such a low IQ person in Congress? I know many voters fail to recognize low IQ but I think the members of Congress would tutor such folks.
Sure, employers would rush to hire MORE people and pay MORE wages and taxes. This is the sort of economic philosophy that has bankrupted this country. You can't cure stupid.
It would be laughable if it weren't for the fact this woman was actually elected to Congress. It doesn't say much for her constituents, either.
Magic bean economics.
The Feds would love to see the fast-food wage double.
As the wage goes up, so do the taxes. Duh.
'Fast-Food Wage Doubling Would Create ‘Millions of Jobs’

I wish I knew this guy when I was delivering papers when I was a kid. I'd be worth millions by now.
1 2 3 4 Next View All

One Trackback to “House Dem: Fast-Food Wage Doubling Would Create ‘Millions of Jobs’”