The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

August 21, 2013 - 11:49 am

Did “bored” teen James Edwards learn about crime from his mother? Edwards is the 15-year-old apparent gang member accused of shooting Australian baseball player Chris Lane in the back last Friday. He appeared in court Tuesday and reportedly made a mockery of the proceedings.

A search on Mugshots.com turns up one Brenda M. Edwards, 50, of Stephens County, Oklahoma. I called the Stephens County district attorney’s office today and confirmed that Brenda M. Edwards is James Edwards’ mother.

Brenda-M-Edwards-mugshot-23892063.400x800

Edwards is currently incarcerated in the Oklahoma Department of Corrections. Her extensive rap sheet begins in 1994 with a conviction for larceny, and spans her son’s entire life. Click on the image to enlarge.

edwards-mom-rapsheet

She has three known aliases. As things stand now, her relationship with Oklahoma’s criminal justice system won’t end for several decades. Her multiple convictions include distribution of cocaine. She was in court in Duncan, OK, as recently as May 2010, when she was found to have violated her parole by obtaining prescription drugs by fraud. Her probation was revoked.

If we’re going to blame a “culture” for James Edwards’ alleged part in Chris Lane’s murder, as some want to blame the so-called “gun culture,” shouldn’t the culture of recidivist criminality come under scrutiny?

I have asked liberals more than once just what exactly it is about guns that cause them to make murderers out of otherwise harmless individuals. Likewise, if guns make people criminals, how it is that I have lived 51 years and yet have never had so much as a speeding ticket. I grew up around guns--both my father and mother owned, carried and used guns from an early age. My mother's elementary school (in rural Oklahoma) had a gun rack in the front hallway beside the coat rack. My father's mother carried a small pistol in her handbag all through the Depression. A Japanese rifle captured on Guadalcanal hung above my bed all through childhood.

I got my first BB gun at age 11, my first shotgun at 13 and my first rifle on my 18th birthday. How is it that I somehow avoided becoming a mass-murderer, with so many weapons around? Could it have been my parents' consistent message of duty, honor and proper conduct? Could it have been their years of patient correction and unending efforts to curb my temper and channel my aggression? Nah, must just be a complete coincidence.
I'll write nothing of substance since the fascists at PJ media decided to remove my other comment on another article where I described the perps as animals. A comment that was up for many hours. So if you readers wonder why we have problems in this country look to the left and the right. Because our side has its share of craven idiots who are always out front shouting against "political correctness" but are too balless to take a stand.
You're clearly a racist. Also, the Obamas got a new puppy.
Faux news state it is two blacks, and one white punk. Is half black half white equal white these days?

Holder should be able to prosecute the racist white half of the youth.
I guess the word mulatto is no longer correct. Just like Zimmerman was a a white Hispanic may be this fellow should be a white African American. It is getting ridiculous isn't it?
Do you think that a 34 year old Brenda Edwards would have consented to having herself surgically sterilized for $3000 in cash 16 years ago?

It is something to contemplate if James Edwards had never been conceived, and Chris Lane had been free to finish his jog and go on with his life while Brenda Edwards got on with hers...or what passes for it.
A better solution would be that every womb gives birth to valuable life that will enrich the country and make it stronger. Hitler would have done what you propose. Eliminating potential citizens is not a way to build a great country. Making great citizens of every child is the way. Of course for that we all have to be healthy.
I can't imagine having a big smile on my face while having my mug shot taken. Says a lot about the level of her sociability.
Apparently, this Better Homes & Gardens Mom-of-the-Year sent multiple messages to her impressionable offspring: stick-it-to-the-man, lie, cheat, steal, threaten, do drugs - all are OK.
They are just a lazy culture. Even when they are doing some sort of work, they do it lazily. I have seen it for decades.
What is is with Black America?

It's not racism. Such crime rose a LOT as racism declined, from the 1940s or so to today.

It's not racial inferiority, either - while there's a connection between lower IQ and higher crime, and some people believe Blacks are on average of a lower IQ, for this to explain the discrepancy between black and white crime rate in the 1980s one would have to extrapolate and assume the average black IQ is FIFTY points below the average white IQ, as a leading statistician pointed out at the time, a ridiculous figure nobody, including the KKK, believes could be true.
What is it with Black America? Good question, but one which can't be answered with a quick catch phrase or generalization. I think a lot of it is cultural and the cultural issues are also many-faceted. For one thing, white America has emulated Black culture for over a century - first music, then drug-taking and later, in the '60s, Black sexuality was considered more "real" and "better" and became a model for young white behavior. Now even the prison culture is glamourized. These days Black culture permeates every corner of our commercial pop culture from advertising to fashion and is a major force in the fine arts. This emulation seems to have created a mind-set of self-congratulation and a contempt for traditional Western culture. The loss of Western culture is just about complete and society as a whole has been devastated by this loss.
There's a more concise way to explain what I'm trying to get at. As a cat lover I've always found the term "copycat" an efficient way to describe their behavior in groups. But the thing is, they never copy the admirable qualities of their feline colleagues, they only copy the misbehavior. White America hasn't emulated the many great things about black people such as religious conviction, emotional depth or the great capacity for empathy demonstrated by the woman who talked the Atlanta school shooter out of his mission a few days ago. Instead, they've emulated the superficial style, the 'cool' stuff.
Since when is that black culture is just what I wonder.

Surely this wasn't MLK's culture. Nor was this black culture in, say, 1930 or 1900. Even in Huckleberry Finn or Uncle Tom's Cabin a life of crime is hardly considered anyone's preferred, or even conceivable, option (apart from the "crime" of escaping slavery), however naive or uneducated or poor the slaves' lives are in other ways.

The racist view of blacks, too, was that they are like children - not that they are violent criminals.
That was back when black men were men. The US fought for independence with a fully integrated army. It should have stayed that way. It took a whole century for the Democrats to convince the black man that he was a victim and could have an "easy life" living off the injustice done to his ancestors. They sold their inheritance for a plate of stew.
We have to look forward to the day when implanted birth control can be made a condition of parole. We might let you out of prison prematurely, but you cannot have children until you've paid your debt to society.
Just keep them in and let them become some big guys biatch.
These sociopathic kids are being celebrated in some places.
Talk about an upside down world.
The gangsta street thugs in the rap culture are simply neo-nazis dressed differently so when will we treat them as we treat the neo-nazis?
What comes around goes around and do not bother to gnash your teeth and breathe fire upon these almost civilized human beings since they are not in a mental institution but are not fit to live with their fellow man either.
Whatchoo talkin' bout? Stop hatin' on his momma. This boy was b-o-r-e-d. Not enough parks and youth activities in his little town. Taxpayers need to get a second or third job to pay for more stuff for kids like him to do. I'm sure he would rather be shooting hoops than white boys out jogging.
like your satire, and because it seems to be rooted in liberal rot and nonsense it is funny
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All