The PJ Tatler

Patrick Richardson

August 16, 2013 - 10:11 am

Students at Minneha Core Knowledge Magnet Elementary School in Wichita, Kansas, were greeted with this on the wall Wednesday:

islam

The questions presents themselves: First, why would a school in the middle of the Bible Belt present something like this? Second, will they give the same pride of place to Christianity? Judaism? Mormonism? Zoroastrianism? Third, where is the ACLU? They have been quick to sue over so-called establishment clause issues in school in the past, so why are they not hammering Minneha Core Knowledge Magnet Elementary School for this outrageous promotion of religion?

I will, of course, be making inquiries.

Patrick Richardson has been a journalist for almost 15 years and an inveterate geek all his life. He blogs regularly at www.otherwheregazette.com, which aims to be like another SF magazine, just not so serious.

If a child eats a poptart in such a way that it looks vaguely like a pistol, he get suspended from school. If a child brings the flag of Saudi Arabia to school—it has scimitars on it—will he get the same punishment?
As usual you're heavy on snark and light on substance. You know damned well that if that were the Stations of the Cross the ACLU would be camped out in the principal's office. And, I suspect, you'd be here saying they were right to do so.
They're not labeled, so I'll do it for them: slavery, rape, murder, hatred, and betrayal.
Please Nonya.go back toIraq, or wherever your from and "Pound Sand". Also, Mike from Ky, I'm also from Ky and I don't remember seeing you ilk at a PTA meeting. I would have eaten your lunch with those rehearsed answered...
sorry.sorry....sorry
if we can't display the Ten Commandments in our schools then I'll be dammed if they can display the Pillars of Islam......no way
My school district makes the students memorize the 5 pillars and do a special project on them in 7th grade world history. In addition they make the kids watch 30 Days Muslim - a Morgan Spurlock reality show where they show a Christian man having to become Muslim for 30 Days. The Christian man learns that alcohol is forbidden in Christianity (false), and both religions believe in same God after explaining that Jesus couldn't be a dead God. District refuses to remove video. District doesn't teach about Ancient Israelite civilization where 10 commandments would be covered. OH Dept of Education refuses to add Israelites to curriculum. State of MA teaches 10 commandments and Israelites.
I'd be frog marching my kid out of that school now. Tell me you don't have a son or daughter slogging through this.
To a retired teacher, that just looks like some teacher's solution to "It's your turn to do that bulletin board" problem. By itself, I don't think it's a big deal.
"are to all appearances discussed" /= "are to all appearances not discussed"
"appearances discussed" /= "appearances not discussed"

I swear, I should write something, comeback to it after a half an hour, and then post it.
Learning about Islam is part of the AP World History curriculum because of how it has shaped the course of history. Students also learn about the other major world religions in the same context. http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/AP_WorldHistoryCED_Effective_Fall_2011.pdf [http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/AP_WorldHistoryCED_Effective_Fall_2011.pdf]
But where are all the other religions on this wall, or any others ?
I also ask you what is this doing in an elementary school, while your links concern High Schools, college prep, and above ?
Will the entirety of Islam be taught or only 'certain selected shorts' ? Are they going to be taught that a woman is 50% of a man at tax time, The meanings of Jizya and Dhimmi and all the other 'sheist' that the Qur'an rails-on about, that Unhbelievers are Haram, that Taquiyya is acceptable, and that rocks hiding Jews should shout-out warnings to The Faiithful ?
Some-how I suspect that this stuff will be glossed-over or be called extra-credit if the students so-desire to look it up. But it will not be in the course materials, and no guidance to find it will be offered. Color me 'shocked', when it eventually comes out on page 16-D.
Of course they won't teach the truth of islam. The very fact that what they put up is a poster of "the five pillars of islam" as if that is all there is to islam.
If the ACLU thinks that Christianity is BAD for democracy, they ain't seen nothing yet.
Been teaching for 15 years and have seen this sort of thing often. They do this in World Civ. and Comparative Religion classes. While I abhor Islam, I don't get too concerned about this stuff. I promise you the kids smart enough to be learning anything are unmover and all the others aren't paying attention anyway.
"I promise you the kids smart enough to be learning anything are unmoved and all the others aren't paying attention anyway"
Nonsense. The proof of that is the brain-washed masses we have coming out of public education today.
Sorry, "unmoved"
The ACLU's axe to grind is with Christianity. So, there's nothing for them to see in that Kansas school.
And the fact that there is no problem with this school learning about Islam in a historical context. Public school students can and do learn about Christianity in the same context.
Nonsense. The day I see the 10 Commandments, or the Sermon on the mount posted like this, then you may be right, for that matter anything from any other religion of the world. Until then you are completely wrong.
Actually, you're probably right. What's the word...lessee... 'equivalence.'

Yes, if we take Christ's teachings and compare them to muhammed's, they're exactly the same, dontcha know.

Certainly, in a value-neutral space they would have to be, yes? Well, there you have it folks. Beheadings of apostates = the Golden Rule.

1 2 3 Next View All